Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Favorite Mobile Apps

Talk about anything.
TheJose1972

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby TheJose1972 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:54 am

I like Receipt Hog. You take pics of your receipts and get coins toward Amazon.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
TheJose1972

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby TheJose1972 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:58 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Zedge is a cool cheap puzzle app, should check it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... enge&hl=en
Love the ringtones here.

TheJose1972

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby TheJose1972 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:58 am

Tyler wrote:Google Hangouts for Android removes merged SMS conversations, adds video
Google rips a core SMS feature out of Android's default messaging app.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/ ... dds-video/
I use to do hangouts all the time.

TheJose1972

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby TheJose1972 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 am

itscsalvo wrote:Just picked up LastPass and splurged for the premium god-mode. It's kind of a bitch to set up, getting all your passwords in there, but since I have to change my address for everything, it was a no brainer to get all of that setup done at the same time.

I feel like this service is going to be awesome.
How does lastpass work?

TheJose1972

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby TheJose1972 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 am

Tyler wrote:Sleep tracker. I assume ejhartman will get it.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8615714-sleep-a ... roid-app-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool.

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby Tyler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 am

TheJose1972 wrote:How does lastpass work?

Here's a thread with us talking about it more. There are a lot of apps that do basically the same thing. The big difference is whether the passwords are stored on the cloud or locally on your desktop.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4242&p=57314
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:42 am

Google’s new Android app stops other apps from wasting your data

Google is launching another stylish and simple Android app designed to help people manage one of the core functions of their phone — in this case, data usage.

The app is called Datally, and it’s supposed to help you understand where you data is going and cut down on how much you’re using. Datally will show which apps are using data the most and at what times your data is getting used up; it’ll also recommend ways to cut down data usage based on your own activity and suggest nearby Wi-Fi networks for you to connect to.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .freighter
ejhartman91

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Google’s new Android app stops other apps from wasting your data

Google is launching another stylish and simple Android app designed to help people manage one of the core functions of their phone — in this case, data usage.

The app is called Datally, and it’s supposed to help you understand where you data is going and cut down on how much you’re using. Datally will show which apps are using data the most and at what times your data is getting used up; it’ll also recommend ways to cut down data usage based on your own activity and suggest nearby Wi-Fi networks for you to connect to.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .freighter
I downloaded this yesterday to check it out. It seems to offer the same exact functionality that is part of the native "data saver" feature that was built into Android with version 7.0.

The only noticable difference is that it may analyze your usage and make recommendations based on its analysis. This and the new "Files Go" app Google recently published indicates a nice trend of useful apps Google is working on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:21 am

Cool idea but I don't need it. I'm always low on how much data I use
ejhartman91

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:29 am

Files Go is great. It's like C Cleaner for Android. Also, it's published by Google so you know it's not less sketchy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .nbu.files

It's listed as an unreleased app but I can assure you it's stable, based on my own usage. It's a helpful app that will provide you with suggestions on how to clear up space on your device (clearing out app cache and junk files from apps you no longer have installed, uninstalling apps you don't use, etc.). It was originally intended for phones with low storage capacity, but can be useful for those of us that don't want junk taking up space on our devices, even if they are not nearing capacity.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:57 am

Just downloaded File app. That's pretty slick and more useful to me than the data usage one. However, even on my small phone I've never been close to filling up the storage.
ejhartman91

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 am

Hands-on: Google's 'Reply' gives other apps concise Smart Replies - when it isn't throwing shade

https://search.app.goo.gl/czpE

Going to give this a try. It only works for a few apps right now, but I mainly use Hangouts for messaging and since it's supported, I should get a good opportunity to test it out. Hopefully it's better than the Allo app's quick reply suggestions. Those were sometimes hilariously bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 am

So in the new message notification there is also a smart reply option? I get so many Hangout notifications a day, not sure if I would like this or not.
ejhartman91

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:27 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post So in the new message notification there is also a smart reply option? I get so many Hangout notifications a day, not sure if I would like this or not.

I believe so. From what I can tell, the 'Reply' app hijacks your messenger app's notifications and replaces them with Reply versions that contain smart reply options. It also has features like auto reply that look for certain keywords (i.e. if someone sends you a message saying "Hello" it can auto-reply with "What's up?"). I imagine it will only add features as they go and get more and more intelligent.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 am

Google Now launcher is no longer supported. Not a big deal for Pixel guys, but for every other Android device it is.

https://www.androidauthority.com/google ... ne-861326/
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:39 am

Should I Answer?
4.8/5 star app for blocking spam calls
Tyler
Owner

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:02 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Should I Answer?
4.8/5 star app for blocking spam calls

I was getting 5 calls a day about insurance offers. I finally took the time to listen to the automated call and there was an opt out option by clicking a number. After doing that my spam calls have been cut down drastically.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Does anyone use Nova launcher? I think Corey does. I'm going to be switching from Pixel to LG to Pixel next week because of a repair and want the process as easy as possible. When I did the LG today it didn't let me restore from my Pixel backup (because it's not a pixel?) How is it using Nova to restore a new phone? I assume it won't download missing apps or anything like that, just layout settings?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Favorite Mobile Apps

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Tyler wrote:Does anyone use Nova launcher? I think Corey does. I'm going to be switching from Pixel to LG to Pixel next week because of a repair and want the process as easy as possible. When I did the LG today it didn't let me restore from my Pixel backup (because it's not a pixel?) How is it using Nova to restore a new phone? I assume it won't download missing apps or anything like that, just layout settings?
I'm guessing you are correct. I used Nova before and it restored but that was two phones again and did not restore apps

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:14 pm

I was using Nova until this weekend. I reset my phone because it was getting janky and wanted to give Pixel launcher a chance. I'm still using it and like it. I wish I could customize the number of rows/columns to fit more like Nova. Nova is super easy to backup/restore but just does layout/launcher settings.

Return to “Off Topic”