Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

TV Setups

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Does anyone use HDMI ARC for their soundbar?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Does anyone use HDMI ARC for their soundbar?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nope, like you, I have the Harmony Hub for my soundbar (and Roku). Is ARC and CEC the same thing? I've tried getting CEC to control a Raspberry Pi years ago, but I couldn't figure it out. I think that was on me though.

I think you just need to plug it in, enable it, and give it a go!
Tyler
Owner

Re: TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 am

I'm able to turn my TV on/off via the audio receiver once I enabled CEC on the tv. My Harmony hub wasn't able to control the tv fro the closed closet and I didn't want to use the Harmony dongle to extend the range out the door (plus I couldn't find it)
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Is ARC and CEC the same thing?

From what I can tell based on my limited research, ARC is the tech that the handles the upstream/downstream audio. CEC refers to the tech that allows your TV to control other devices (soundbar, receiver, etc.).

Turns out my soundbar doesn't have HDMI in/out, so I can't even try it...looks like it's time to upgrade?
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:49 pm

I got a HDMI splitter to display the same source on 2 tvs.

Roku, Steam Link, etc > Surround sound receiver > HDMI out to splitter > Bar Tv, Living room tv

I'm hoping main tv uses surround sound and bar will use internal speakers. I am only doing this since both tvs have HDMI going to the networking closet. If we watched sports it would be useful to keep both tvs in sync, otherwise I think it will be used for Jackbox like games when people want to sit at the bar and couch.
Tyler
Owner

Re: TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Couldnt have been 1.5 inches bigger and still fit. Before and after

ImageImage
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am

caved and bought one of these remotes last night. I'm sick of juggling three. Too bad I bought it too late, and it won't be here until the 14th.
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:52 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post caved and bought one of these remotes last night. I'm sick of juggling three. Too bad I bought it too late, and it won't be here until the 14th.

Good buy for that price! I considered getting a 2nd for the guestroom. You'll like it. I really miss the light up buttons. Not having that makes the Harmony Hub remote hard to use.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm

great upgrade!
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post caved and bought one of these remotes last night. I'm sick of juggling three. Too bad I bought it too late, and it won't be here until the 14th.

Good buy for that price! I considered getting a 2nd for the guestroom. You'll like it. I really miss the light up buttons. Not having that makes the Harmony Hub remote hard to use.

Even cheaper Harmony at $10. I'm getting a few for a missing TV remote, and for some TVs that currently have a Roku remote + TV remote. Overkill since this is 8 devices, but 1 less remote to worry about on those TV's.
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 am

I have a pieced together used 5.1 surround sound system in the basement. It's not very impressive, but it's better than the soundbar I was using previously. The sub annoys me though. It seems like when I want there to be bass, dance parties with Evie, watching movies alone at home, etc, the levels are low. But as soon as I try watching something 9:30 at night on a a weeknight the entire house shakes. I currently have the woofer turned up all the way and it doesn't seem to really matter most of the time.

I probably should have gone with something bigger or just some things take better advantage of it. You would think playing music videos on YT would have some pumping bass, but it barely shakes harder than a Corey fart.
wags83

TV Setups

Postby wags83 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post but it barely shakes harder than a Corey fart.

That's still pretty good.

Return to “Off Topic”