Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

TV Setups

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Does anyone use HDMI ARC for their soundbar?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Does anyone use HDMI ARC for their soundbar?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nope, like you, I have the Harmony Hub for my soundbar (and Roku). Is ARC and CEC the same thing? I've tried getting CEC to control a Raspberry Pi years ago, but I couldn't figure it out. I think that was on me though.

I think you just need to plug it in, enable it, and give it a go!
Tyler
Owner

Re: TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 am

I'm able to turn my TV on/off via the audio receiver once I enabled CEC on the tv. My Harmony hub wasn't able to control the tv fro the closed closet and I didn't want to use the Harmony dongle to extend the range out the door (plus I couldn't find it)
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Is ARC and CEC the same thing?

From what I can tell based on my limited research, ARC is the tech that the handles the upstream/downstream audio. CEC refers to the tech that allows your TV to control other devices (soundbar, receiver, etc.).

Turns out my soundbar doesn't have HDMI in/out, so I can't even try it...looks like it's time to upgrade?
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:49 pm

I got a HDMI splitter to display the same source on 2 tvs.

Roku, Steam Link, etc > Surround sound receiver > HDMI out to splitter > Bar Tv, Living room tv

I'm hoping main tv uses surround sound and bar will use internal speakers. I am only doing this since both tvs have HDMI going to the networking closet. If we watched sports it would be useful to keep both tvs in sync, otherwise I think it will be used for Jackbox like games when people want to sit at the bar and couch.
Tyler
Owner

Re: TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Couldnt have been 1.5 inches bigger and still fit. Before and after

ImageImage
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am

caved and bought one of these remotes last night. I'm sick of juggling three. Too bad I bought it too late, and it won't be here until the 14th.
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:52 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post caved and bought one of these remotes last night. I'm sick of juggling three. Too bad I bought it too late, and it won't be here until the 14th.

Good buy for that price! I considered getting a 2nd for the guestroom. You'll like it. I really miss the light up buttons. Not having that makes the Harmony Hub remote hard to use.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm

great upgrade!
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post caved and bought one of these remotes last night. I'm sick of juggling three. Too bad I bought it too late, and it won't be here until the 14th.

Good buy for that price! I considered getting a 2nd for the guestroom. You'll like it. I really miss the light up buttons. Not having that makes the Harmony Hub remote hard to use.

Even cheaper Harmony at $10. I'm getting a few for a missing TV remote, and for some TVs that currently have a Roku remote + TV remote. Overkill since this is 8 devices, but 1 less remote to worry about on those TV's.

Return to “Off Topic”