Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

TV Setups

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:59 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Friend of mine also had a horror story from a Best Buy contracted installer. Put in a fridge for her and hooked up the water line to the water/ice dispenser incorrectly. It ended up slowly leaking water behind the fridge for a couple weeks and she ended up having massive water damage on her flooring. In the end, she got an entire new kitchen floor out of it for free, but she had to fight like hell for them to admit it was their fault.

Yikes. The same guys (Best Buy Geek Squad) that delivered/"installed" my new oven also did the fridge. They also moved our old fridge to the bar area in the basement (that was fun to watch) they were super nice and thorough with everything. Much more professional than the contracted installers.
bmyoungs

TV Setups

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Mounted, it's too low because the mount location on this TV is at the top vs the bottom of the old one. the sound bar is hidden behind the TV now due to this. Honestly I'm not totally upset with how it sounds/looks. Image

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:57 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Mounted, it's too low because the mount location on this TV is at the top vs the bottom of the old one.

Do you mean too high?! I wouldnt have gone higher.

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post the sound bar is hidden behind the TV now due to this. Honestly I'm not totally upset with how it sounds/looks.

The massive woofers of the soundbar are going to push out so much air it cracks the tv screen
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Yeah I wouldn't go any higher. Is your soundbar mounted to the wall then?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
bmyoungs

TV Setups

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:40 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Yeah I wouldn't go any higher. Is your soundbar mounted to the wall then?

Yeah its mounted. If I'm bored ill put it below, but if I'm going to do that I might as well buy a better sound bar

ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:48 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If I'm bored ill put it below, but if I'm going to do that I might as well buy a better sound bar

and just get one of those soundbar mounts that hooks to the TV mount and you'll never have this problem again!
bmyoungs

TV Setups

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:51 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If I'm bored ill put it below, but if I'm going to do that I might as well buy a better sound bar

and just get one of those soundbar mounts that hooks to the TV mount and you'll never have this problem again!
Yeah I would have done that last time too if I actually planned things in advance lol

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:54 pm

Old and messy

In progress

Need to get a different hdmi switch. Preferably something with 3+ inputs and a remote. Running ps4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox to the hdmi switch. Plan on mounting the sound bar to the tv. Then need to decide what to do with cables and where to put the router.
bmyoungs

TV Setups

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Nice, always love a clean fresh start on shelves

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:06 pm

Currently the roku and switch are connected an HDMI switch. I'll get a shorter HDMI for the roku to connect directly to the tv. Get a new HDMI switch put in the slot with the PS4. Get a shorter HDMI for the PS4 to connect to the HDMI switch. NinSw, X360, and PS4 can have HDMI routed behind the entertainment center. I'll drop my RCA ext cables into the N64 slot. I should only need to worry about addressing two HDMI cables (DTV rec'r and HDMI sw), audio optical, RCA cable, roku power and potentially a CAT6 ethernet on the left side of the TV and the TV power on the right.

Gotta grab my labeler from work and label all the power cables and such.

That will happen next weekend when Maria is doesn't work.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:20 pm

I had to drill out the holes for the shelf the DTV Receiver is on, and I had to buy a hole saw kit to drill a hole for the cables. My dad probably didn't get them drilled out properly, nor did I plan on running equipment on the sides when it was built. I also need to mount the left side power strip somewhere. That power strip is always on because the receiver is plugged into it and the router will be eventually. Right side power strip is more accessible and get shut off at night.
Tyler
Owner

Re: TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:45 am

Looking good danny. If you have the hole saw, might as we commit and run HDMI through the wall and piggy back off the outlet and add a new one behind the TV. It's minor electrical work that we can walk you through.

Did your dad build the entertainment stand?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:52 pm

I thought about running the cables in the wall. I think code wise you need to have cables rated for in wall use. Not that anyone is going to come and inspect. I'm not bothered by hanging cables like some people, so I might just get some cable wrap to keep them together.

My dad built the entertainment center when I was in high school??
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: TV Setups

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:02 pm

DannyFanny wrote:I thought about running the cables in the wall. I think code wise you need to have cables rated for in wall use. Not that anyone is going to come and inspect. I'm not bothered by hanging cables like some people, so I might just get some cable wrap to keep them together.

My dad built the entertainment center when I was in high school??
At the very least get a stick on wire channel. I know you aren't supposed to have power cables in the wall, I haven't heard about AV cables. That's why I suggested moving an outlet up. But if it's not bothering you, Yolo?
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:28 pm

I didn't pull any permits for my basement finish...YOLO
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:37 pm

I'll definitely add an outlet and some sort of AV cable distribution if/when I remodel the house.
For now I'll just do the cable wrap to keep cables together. I'm not a fan of wire mold, but I suppose I could paint it to match the wall.

Something to ask Maria what she would prefer.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV Setups

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Maybe it's not code. I thought in the past at work we had to order special rated HDMI cables because we feeding them through the walls.
ejhartman91

TV Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:40 pm

It's definitely against code to run power cables behind the wall. A/V cables are fine as long as they are rated for in-wall use

Return to “Off Topic”