Homeowners

Postby Corey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:18 pm

We have a lot of areas that I need to make grass grow this year
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Homeowners

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 pm

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Well, the reason it's black is because they didn't rake a single time last year. It killed the lawn and put mold all over.

... In the 3 years I've rented my home, I've never raked and I definitely don't have this issue.

So, the area where I live, is filled with GIANT Elm and maple trees. To give you some perspective of how many leaves I get just for my yard. I bought 30 of those giant Home Depot bags to fill with leaves and I only finished 1/3 of my yard. I spent the next 7 hours mowing over them
Tyler
Owner

Homeowners

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post We have a lot of areas that I need to make grass grow this year

I think it's easier to start from scratch vs trying to fix a bad yard. Will be easy to get new grass to grow in those empty spots.
wags83

Homeowners

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Till it all up and make a garden!
bmyoungs

Homeowners

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm

wags83 wrote:Till it all up and make a garden!

Yeah and plant something easy to maintain. Some sort of grass maybe.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Homeowners

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

LOL IRL at bmyoungs
SleepyChimera

Homeowners

Postby SleepyChimera » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post So, the area where I live, is filled with GIANT Elm and maple trees. To give you some perspective of how many leaves I get just for my yard. I bought 30 of those giant Home Depot bags to fill with leaves and I only finished 1/3 of my yard. I spent the next 7 hours mowing over them

Fair enough. I have a Walnut tree, but I also live on the side of a little creekbed so there are tons of smaller trees, and a willow tree or two. But I suppose if you can build snowmen out of your soggy leaves, that is a little excessive.

On another note, I have heard through word of mouth that someone I know is selling a 6-bedroom house with a barn on 2 acres for just under 70k in the Johnston area.
  • What could possibly be wrong with it?
  • Is this a good deal just on principal?
  • What should I make sure to check out if I DO go look at it?
  • If I go look at it and it does appeal to me, what should I do/research to prepare for buying a home?
  • I have no idea what I'm doing. This would be my first home.
  • Oh God Help.
Tyler
Owner

Homeowners

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:20 am

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post On another note, I have heard through word of mouth that someone I know is selling a 6-bedroom house with a barn on 2 acres for just under 70k in the Johnston area.

What could possibly be wrong with it?
-Has to be haunted. There is no way that house is okay for that price. The land alone would cost almost that. Be cautious and post the listing!

Is this a good deal just on principal?
-Only if you were on a reality TV house flipping show

What should I make sure to check out if I DO go look at it?
-For 70k? Literally everything. Foundation, AC/Heat, pipes, roof, siding, windows, mold, basement dry, electrical, etc etc.

If I go look at it and it does appeal to me, what should I do/research to prepare for buying a home?
-Go talk to credit union. Do not go through a major bank. Figure out how much you can get pre-approved for. I think this figure is good for 90 days.
-Ask about what things you qualify for. As a first time homebuyer you may qualify for 3.5% down. Some credit unions offer 0% down.
-You would 100% hire someone to come and inspect the house before closing. We did this after making an offer. For us it was like a 90 minute thing since our house is relatively small and new. For a house like this...he could be there all day. Expect to spend $300+. Not sure how common that is to do BEFORE making an offer.

I have no idea what I'm doing. This would be my first home.
-Do you know any realtors? We had no idea what we were doing either but the credit union was patient with us and we had a family friend be our realtor. Remember it doesn't cost you anything as a buyer to use a realtor and they know more than you.

Oh God Help.
-Good luck
SleepyChimera

Homeowners

Postby SleepyChimera » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:03 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Has to be haunted. There is no way that house is okay for that price. The land alone would cost almost that. Be cautious and post the listing!

Right now is by seller but she is going to use a realtor soon (the person selling is my boss at HR Block. She's just sick of cleaning a 5500 sq ft home for her and her husband)

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Go talk to credit union.

I bank at one!

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -You would 100% hire someone to come and inspect the house before closing. We did this after making an offer. For us it was like a 90 minute thing since our house is relatively small and new. For a house like this...he could be there all day. Expect to spend $300+. Not sure how common that is to do BEFORE making an offer.

My boyfriend has certification through job corps for building maintenance and construction and things but I think for a first home I would probably strong arm him into paying someone probably. Not that I don't trust him.. just... to be sure.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Do you know any realtors?

Nope! Anyone have recommendations? Also If I'm buying I don't have to pay the realtor at all???? For anything??? That seems strange to me... like.. how are they making money then?

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Oh God Help.-Good luck

:pray:
Tyler
Owner

Homeowners

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post She's just sick of cleaning a 5500 sq ft home for her and her husband)

Not to say I don't trust your boss, but selling a 5,500 sq foot house on 2 acres for $75,000 sounds soooo sketchy. It is worth 5x that.
SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post Nope! Anyone have recommendations? Also If I'm buying I don't have to pay the realtor at all???? For anything??? That seems strange to me... like.. how are they making money then?

Seller pays 7% commission. 3.5% goes to selling agent, 3.5% goes to buying agent. That is why realtor agents love to be the one to list and sell the same house. (those % might not be right, but that is an example)

I can give you the name of mine if you would like. She is based out of Indianola and knows the southern part of Des Moines best, but I think she covers the entire metro area.
wags83

Homeowners

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Go talk to credit union. Do not go through a major bank. Figure out how much you can get pre-approved for. I think this figure is good for 90 days.

I've never banked at or used a credit union for anything. What is the benefit over a bank?
Tyler
Owner

Homeowners

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:43 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I've never banked at or used a credit union for anything. What is the benefit over a bank?

I opened a savings account for $5 just to use a credit union for a car loan. Their rates were the best around. We started at Wells Fargo (where we bank) for the home loan, but the guy wasn't very helpful and you could tell he was rushing it because we were just $$ to him. He also came back with a pretty high interest rate. We then went to the credit union where they took their time explaining things and were patient with us. They also came back at 1.5-2% lower than WF.

They ended up selling the mortgage right away to a different company, but still answered questions when I went back to them.
wags83

Homeowners

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I've never banked at or used a credit union for anything. What is the benefit over a bank?

I opened a savings account for $5 just to use a credit union for a car loan. Their rates were the best around. We started at Wells Fargo (where we bank) for the home loan, but the guy wasn't very helpful and you could tell he was rushing it because we were just $$ to him. He also came back with a pretty high interest rate. We then went to the credit union where they took their time explaining things and were patient with us. They also came back at 1.5-2% lower than WF.

They ended up selling the mortgage right away to a different company, but still answered questions when I went back to them.

Interesting. We got our preapproval from US Bank because that's where we bank. We never really sat down with anyone there though and they don't give exact interest rate on the preapproval because I could change by the time we buy. Might have to look into a credit union if it's that much lower. I assume you have to be a member to use their service?
ejhartman91

Homeowners

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Crabgrass preventer already?! I thought that wasn't until mid April to Early May?!

I really need to to a better job with my lawn this year...
Corey
Site Admin

Homeowners

Postby Corey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:04 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post

Interesting. We got our preapproval from US Bank because that's where we bank. We never really sat down with anyone there though and they don't give exact interest rate on the preapproval because I could change by the time we buy. Might have to look into a credit union if it's that much lower. I assume you have to be a member to use their service?

I've got a guy for you. Our lender was awesome and everything went smoothly. Impossible to miss anything with him. He is from TruStone Financial (which is a credit union). Their mortgage business is called Mortgage Lending Services. His office is really close to your job, too.

Our realtor referred him and also recommended that we not use any large banks, especially Well's Fargo as they have gotten a bad reputation and some realtors advise their sellers to go with other offers if there are multiple offers because of this.
wags83

Homeowners

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post TruStone Financial

Ah nice, they just built that location within the last couple years. It's like 5 blocks from where we live.

Edit: unless you're thinking of a different office. I see there's one near 494 that would be closer to my work.
ejhartman91

Homeowners

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:17 pm

I figured this would be a good place to post this:

Our house has one egress window in our basement. The window well is rather large for an egress window well (so I'm told), and prone to getting creatures (see: rabbits, frogs, insects) stuck in it that die. This forces us to have to pull the carcass out (which is not really desireable).

I've been looking into getting a cover for it, but the plastic ones you can get at hardware stores are never large enough. I've also looked at getting a company to come out and do a custom one, but it seems expensive $200+.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?
wags83

Homeowners

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post I figured this would be a good place to post this:

Our house has one egress window in our basement. The window well is rather large for an egress window well (so I'm told), and prone to getting creatures (see: rabbits, frogs, insects) stuck in it that die. This forces us to have to pull the carcass out (which is not really desireable).

I've been looking into getting a cover for it, but the plastic ones you can get at hardware stores are never large enough. I've also looked at getting a company to come out and do a custom one, but it seems expensive $200+.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

My parents have a couple fairly large window wells on their house. I can only think of 2 times when there were animals in them. Once a baby bird fell in and couldn't fly yet. Our dog jumped in and "took care" of it. Another time there was a really bad rain storm and a few frogs fell in. Not sure what happened to them because I don't remember anyone plucking them out. Maybe some hungry birds spotted them?
Tyler
Owner

Homeowners

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:20 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Crabgrass preventer already?! I thought that wasn't until mid April to Early May?!

It's a long process to fix your yard. But yes, put stage 1 down in a few weeks. Do you have a broadcast spreader?

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Bring dimensions to Menards and see if they can order something bigger? Maybe go to a window store vs a hardware store and see what they can do for you. I imagine you could build something halfway decent out of wood...but then it wouldn't let any light in, never mind.
ejhartman91

Homeowners

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Crabgrass preventer already?! I thought that wasn't until mid April to Early May?!

It's a long process to fix your yard. But yes, put stage 1 down in a few weeks. Do you have a broadcast spreader?

No but I'm planning on buying one this weekend.

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Bring dimensions to Menards and see if they can order something bigger? Maybe go to a window store vs a hardware store and see what they can do for you. I imagine you could build something halfway decent out of wood...but then it wouldn't let any light in, never mind.

I never thought of going to a window store. I will look into that, thanks!

Return to “Off Topic”