Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

New House

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

New House

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 am

Hey everyone,

I'm a homeowner now. Just bought a new grill, got a lawnmower from a family friend, and bought a nest thermostat.

I'm looking to stockpile some LED bulbs to replace all the lights eventually. Also thinking about getting this Chamberlain smart garage door thing: Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EAD65UW/re ... cxb0QDFCRS

Any tips/suggestions from the current/experienced homeowners out there?

Thanks in advance.
Tyler
Owner

Re: New House

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 am

I saw some pictures of your house on Facebook. Looks amazing, good for you two.

Menards has LED bulbs on a sale a lot. I have gotten some from there.

Is the garage door opener something you actually think will be useful, or is it just another neat internet of things gadget? Speaking of internet of things, Corey has done a lot of home automation with his Alexa, smart bulbs, Harmony, and the Life360 app. Corey, have any cool hacks for him?

You got a mower, but do you have a weed wacker? You can have my old gas powered one. Throttle only sticks a little. I just go ta nice cordless one on sale.

I see that your garage has a 3rd stall. Looking to set up a shop of sorts? Will you be in the market for power tools? I imagine your house has zero need for a project though.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:38 am

Tyler wrote:I saw some pictures of your house on Facebook. Looks amazing, good for you two.

Menards has LED bulbs on a sale a lot. I have gotten some from there.

Is the garage door opener something you actually think will be useful, or is it just another neat internet of things gadget? Speaking of internet of things, Corey has done a lot of home automation with his Alexa, smart bulbs, Harmony, and the Life360 app. Corey, have any cool hacks for him?

You got a mower, but do you have a weed wacker? You can have my old gas powered one. Throttle only sticks a little. I just go ta nice cordless one on sale.

I see that your garage has a 3rd stall. Looking to set up a shop of sorts? Will you be in the market for power tools? I imagine your house has zero need for a project though.

Thanks! Yeah we spent more than we planned to, but I'm not super handy, so I didn't want to take on any significant projects in terms of home renovation.

The garage door thing I'm not sure about. I have a friend that recommended it, but I don't know if I'll need it or not. The really useful part of it I think will be knowing if we did or didn't forget to close the garage door when we leave the house.

I've been offered a number of weed wackers (I think my dad said my grandma has like 5 of them at her house that are never used. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I end up needing one.

I'm not planning on setting up any kind of shop for now, but there are a few things that we want to get done in the near future that may require it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:42 am

ejhartman91 wrote:The really useful part of it I think will be knowing if we did or didn't forget to close the garage door when we leave the house.

Salvo used the same logic last week but he talked himself out of a smart garage door. We have never left the house and forgotten to close the garage door. Once I almost did, but my wife reminded me to close it before I fully left the driveway. I really don't think it's a problem that needs fixing.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:49 am

Shit. My garage door hasn't even been on the track for 3 months. I should...probably fix that.
itscsalvo

Postby itscsalvo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Tyler wrote:Salvo used the same logic last week but he talked himself out of a smart garage door.

I sure did. I thought long about my history with the garage and I thought that I'm not that much of an idiot. Sure it's neat, but is it $60 neat? Not to me.

One point to note: if both of your garage door openers are in your cars and you don't have an extra, I can see where the smartphone app and gateway would be useful.

Also, the myQ gateway takes up an ethernet slot on the back of your router, so if you're full, you'll have to get a spare switch or something. And there are lights and shit that uses the myQ platform, so you may be more inclined to use that platform. From my knowledge, it hasn't really taken off, so consider it as only for your garage.

With all of that being said, you can always get the gateway later if you decide you want it or you'll find use out of it. I didn't do it now, but I have the option to do it later.
itscsalvo

Postby itscsalvo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:...but I'm not super handy, so I didn't want to take on any significant projects in terms of home renovation.

Handiness aside, you will need tools. Even if you bought a finished house and it's perfect, you'll probably still need tools for something.

Hammer
    screw drivers
    drill w/ an assortment of bits
    tape measure
    utility knife (box cutter)
    wrench set (SAE and Metric)
    socket wrench (SAE and Metric sockets) -- quarter inch drive is good for small stuff, half inch for larger shit
    hack saw
    shovel
    step ladder
    painter's tape
    duct tape
    pliers
    needle nose pliers

I use at least one of those every week.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:38 pm

itscsalvo wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:...but I'm not super handy, so I didn't want to take on any significant projects in terms of home renovation.

Handiness aside, you will need tools. Even if you bought a finished house and it's perfect, you'll probably still need tools for something.

Hammer
    screw drivers
    drill w/ an assortment of bits
    tape measure
    utility knife (box cutter)
    wrench set (SAE and Metric)
    socket wrench (SAE and Metric sockets) -- quarter inch drive is good for small stuff, half inch for larger shit
    hack saw
    shovel
    step ladder
    painter's tape
    duct tape
    pliers
    needle nose pliers

I use at least one of those every week.

Thanks for the advice. I already have most of the stuff you mentioned. Looking for a deal on a step ladder and drill.

I've been buying most of my stuff as I go based on recommendations from thesweethome.com or thewirecutter.com. Check them out if you haven't already.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Get an impact drill! I'm on the lookout for a deal on one
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:35 am

Werd to cwilkins. Get a nice drill combo set now and use it for years to come. Don't get a crappy drill that you need to constantly replace.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:41 am

Anyone have any opinions on something like the following as a ladder option?

http://slickdeals.net/f/8645302-werner- ... src=sticky
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 am

Thats a good ladder and about as good of a deal as you'll find.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:59 am

That's a great price for 22'. I got a 17' foot version of that from Menards for under $80 http://www.menards.com/main/paint/ladde ... 9294417578 (price not online).

If you think you need one that tall I would jump on that deal.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 am

Tyler wrote:That's a great price for 22'. I got a 17' foot version of that from Menards for under $80 http://www.menards.com/main/paint/ladde ... 9294417578 (price not online).

If you think you need one that tall I would jump on that deal.

Nice. I'm not sure how tall we'll need. Our house is a ranch. Do you think a 17' would work for us?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:13 am

ejhartman91 wrote:If you think you need one that tall I would jump on that deal.

Nice. I'm not sure how tall we'll need. Our house is a ranch. Do you think a 17' would work for us?[/quote]
I can't imagine 17' not reaching gutters on a ranch style house. No promises that your local Menards still has it or if it is below $80.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:If you think you need one that tall I would jump on that deal.

Nice. I'm not sure how tall we'll need. Our house is a ranch. Do you think a 17' would work for us?

I can't imagine 17' not reaching gutters on a ranch style house. No promises that your local Menards still has it or if it is below $80.[/quote]
I will have to check out Menard's
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:00 pm

That's a steal I'm tempted to go get one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:24 pm

bmyoungs wrote:That's a steal I'm tempted to go get one.

In Iowa?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Sarah wrote:

In Iowa?

You don't have Home Depot there?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sarah wrote:

In Iowa?

You don't have Home Depot there?

She thought is was at Menard's, which we don't have

Return to “Off Topic”