Dog

Talk about anything.
Erin

Dog

Postby Erin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 am

I was looking at one in Clear Lake but on the application it talks about doing home visits...not sure if they all require that?
kyle

Dog

Postby kyle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:02 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Purebred Corgi. $200. We win

Pics or get out. I LOVE corgis!
bmyoungs

Dog

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am

Erin wrote:I'm open to a young dog (1-2yrs), but would be fun to have it when they're still a puppy. Yeah I also wasn't aware that most rescues in the Twin Cities have puppies $400-$500. I understand paying for vaccinations and spay/neuter, but like Chris said you think they'd want to make it easier to adopt!

Easy to adopt while covering costs and you want to weed out the non serious people. I figure 300-500 eliminates impulse buying especially in densely populated areas which gets rid of many potential bad homes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
spacetraveler587

Dog

Postby spacetraveler587 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:45 am

We have two little pups and kitten, and they just recently started getting along with each other.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 pm

We put in an application to adopt a puppy this weekend but now neither of the 2 puppies we were interested in are still on the website.
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:53 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post We put in an application to adopt a puppy this weekend but now neither of the 2 puppies we were interested in are still on the website.

Maybe they mailed them to you already and took them down because of that?
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post We put in an application to adopt a puppy this weekend but now neither of the 2 puppies we were interested in are still on the website.

Maybe they mailed them to you already and took them down because of that?

I certainly hope not. I only wanted one!

But really, this is why people continue to support breeders. You can find a puppy, pay for it, take it home.
To adopt from a shelter you first have to complete an application and send it to them. Then it takes them a few days to review the application. If you're approved, you then set up a time to "meet" the puppy. Some of them also then require the shelter people to do a home visit before you can adopt. It's all a pain in the ass just to get a dog.
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:00 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post But really, this is why people continue to support breeders. You can find a puppy, pay for it, take it home.
To adopt from a shelter you first have to complete an application and send it to them. Then it takes them a few days to review the application. If you're approved, you then set up a time to "meet" the puppy. Some of them also then require the shelter people to do a home visit before you can adopt. It's all a pain in the ass just to get a dog.

That sounds like way too many hoops to jump through. Is this a no-kill shelter? I understand to some extend the shelter wanting to make the process a little hard so only people who are truly willing will go through with it vs an impulse adoption, but I would think charging hundreds of dollars is enough of a gatekeeper for that.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Christ, I was just looking at some other ones and they have a fee just to apply and that doesn't even guarantee that you'll get the dog!
bmyoungs

Dog

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Yeah that's a bit excessive. If you apply once is it valid forever? I'd guess in your area there would be massive demand and they probably only have a handful of dogs at one time.

Our shelter here might have like a dozen dogs at once

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Yeah that's a bit excessive. If you apply once is it valid forever?

That's a good question. Maybe once you are on their books there isn't a cost to apply for multiple dogs.

Return to “Off Topic”