Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Dog

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

Dog

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:25 am

Hello everyone,

If all goes according to plan, my wife and I will be bringing home a goldendoodle puppy in about 7 weeks. I've never owned a pet in my life (my wife grew up having numerous dogs as family pets), but I'm excited as I've always loved dogs. Please share any tips / advice you may have.

Thanks in advance.
wags83

Re: Dog

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:27 am

That will be fun. My fiance wants to get a goldendoodle too. Keeping it in the house?
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:43 am

wags83 wrote:That will be fun. My fiance wants to get a goldendoodle too. Keeping it in the house?

Yeah we plan on it. They don't shed so we won't have to worry about cleaning up dog hair (as much). My brother-in-law has one and they are awesome family friendly dogs.
blake

Postby blake » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:05 pm

We have a 100 lb 4 year old goldendoodle. Couldn't have a more behaved lazy dog
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:20 pm

Plus they look like teddy bears as puppies.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:30 pm

My tip would be to not get the dog and enjoy having free time and being able to travel. Also, your furniture and carpet will like you more.

You're welcome.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:39 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:My tip would be to not get the dog and enjoy having free time and being able to travel. Also, your furniture and carpet will like you more.

You're welcome.

Maybe true, but my wife would not be happy. She's been begging me to get a dog for years. I made her wait until we had a house.

Plus, my in-laws are moving to Ankeny this summer. Between them and my brother-in-law and his wife (we have dog sat for them on numerous occaisions.), we should have no trouble traveling.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Maybe true, but my wife would not be happy. She's been begging me to get a dog for years. I made her wait until we had a house.

Plus, my in-laws are moving to Ankeny this summer. Between them and my brother-in-law and his wife (we have dog sat for them on numerous occaisions.), we should have no trouble traveling.

For sure. My dog used to be really awesome. Having kids added a whole new complexity, which we didn't think about. She is good with my kids, but trying to take two kids for a walk with a dog on a leash constantly tripping them or knocking them over (not her fault) have made me bitter.

She has also started to get over protective of the kids in her old age. She used to jump on people to lick them, now we can barely take her outside because she puts her ears back and charges people while barking at them. As soon as she gets to them, she immediately licks them, but most kids don't understand that and immediately start running, even if she is chained up.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Married - Check
House - Check
Dog - Check
Baby - I give it 10 months before we see an announcement

When we got our corgi we did an obedience class. It wasn't life changing, but it was nice to get him around other dogs in a controller environment. I wish we would have set up doggy playdates for him because he is kind of a butthead now to other dogs - very protective of his things, but at the same time our daughter can be pulling on his ears and he doesn't do a thing to her.

I know some people (Corey and Megatron) trained their dog to ring a bell near the door when he had to go outside.

Do you have a fenced in yard. The best thing we've ever done with Roscoe is get a wireless fence. He use to run out the door whenever he could but now that he has a limited radius around the house he is a completely different dog. There are the wired-wireless kind and the truly zero setup wireless ones.

Try to train him early to pee in mulch or rock, protect your lawn. Dog pee is toxic to grass and your yard is going to be full of brown spots. I started training my dog to only pee where there is no grass but I was too lazy to keep with it.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Tyler wrote:Do you have a fenced in yard. The best thing we've ever done with Roscoe is get a wireless fence. He use to run out the door whenever he could but now that he has a limited radius around the house he is a completely different dog. There are the wired-wireless kind and the truly zero setup wireless ones.

Try to train him early to pee in mulch or rock, protect your lawn. Dog pee is toxic to grass and your yard is going to be full of brown spots. I started training my dog to only pee where there is no grass but I was too lazy to keep with it.

Yeah, we have a fence. We are getting a girl, I will have to see about training her to pee not on the grass...Thanks for the tips.
itscsalvo

Postby itscsalvo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:40 pm

I strongly suggest kennel training. A lot of people think of it as keeping your dog in a kennel 24x7, but it's not at all. Dogs are natural nesters and like their own dedicated space, and a kennel is just that. I researched the hell out of it and I plan on doing it for every dog we have.

Also, feed your dog good dog food. Don't skimp on it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Good call on dog food. Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild are some of the best foods out there.

Also good about crating, but we are horrible about it now. We have slowly been giving the corgi more reign of the house over the last 4 years. He now gets it all when we are at work.
itscsalvo

Postby itscsalvo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Tyler wrote:Good call on dog food. Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild are some of the best foods out there.

Also good about crating, but we are horrible about it now. We have slowly been giving the corgi more reign of the house over the last 4 years. He now gets it all when we are at work.

We've been feeding our dog Blue Buffalo since the beginning. And we don't kennel him all the time, either. When we're at work, he has free reign of the house. For the most part, we just keep his kennel open. We usually lock it when we need him contained for reason. The key is that because of his kennel training, he doesn't freak the hell out when he's locked up, and he doesn't whine when we walk away.

Oh, dog socialization is huge, too. We didn't keep doing it, now my dog barks at other dogs pretty aggressively. OH, and leash training is a must. Keep little treats around to reward your dog when they listen. We did it for everything.

If your wife wants the dog on the furniture, but you don't, you both need to decide on an action. Stick to it because the dog won't understand if they're on the furniture, you punish it, but your wife praised it.

TL;DR -- Have an idea on how you want to train your dog. Do it. Keep doing it. Never stop. Set rules and stick to it. Don't make life confusing for the dog.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:37 am

These are great tips guys, thanks.

We do plan on crating her. I've been wondering how that process actually works. Do you just crate them at night and during the day when you are gone until they reach a certain age?

I was also wondering about the right type of dog food to give her. What do you guys feed your dogs? Where do you buy your dog food from?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 am

When I lived in Ankney I got all my food from Tractor Supply. They would often have deals. They carry both Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild. Otherwise Amazon Prime has it for a good price and free 2 day shipping of course.

Trying to get Tylersucks on here since he is crate training right now. I know "experts" say not to keep a puppy in a kennel all day, but it is impossible for working professionals to let them out during the day. If the crate is bigger than the dog then she will pee in it. Most dogs hate laying in their own waste so if it is small enough they will hold it vs letting it go and sitting in it all day.
tylersucks

Postby tylersucks » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:11 am

Yep, I am here. My dog is dumb. He pisses in his crate every day. Then he just stands in it. We try not to let him drink much in the morning, but doesn't seem to matter. We put him in the kennel at 7:30am, and he gets let out around 3pm.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:14 am

Tyler wrote:When I lived in Ankney I got all my food from Tractor Supply. They would often have deals. They carry both Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild. Otherwise Amazon Prime has it for a good price and free 2 day shipping of course.

Trying to get Tylersucks on here since he is crate training right now. I know "experts" say not to keep a puppy in a kennel all day, but it is impossible for working professionals to let them out during the day. If the crate is bigger than the dog then she will pee in it. Most dogs hate laying in their own waste so if it is small enough they will hold it vs letting it go and sitting in it all day.

Perfect, tractor supply is really close to us.

Luckily my wife is a nanny during the summer so she should have flexibility to let her out during the day for the first few months.

My mother in law said something to the tune of "no more than 4 hours in a crate at a time until they are 6 months old." Not sure how true that is though.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:23 am

ejhartman91 wrote:My mother in law said something to the tune of "no more than 4 hours in a crate at a time until they are 6 months old." Not sure how true that is though.

A lot of sources say 1 hour for every month the dog is. 6 months old = 6 hours in the crate.

I admit that we didn't stick to that very well because our schedules didn't allow it and we felt bad having him in there all day. We ended up getting child gates and confining him to the kitchen and getting doggy pads for him to soil on. It actually worked out great because of the kitchen layout and he naturally used the pads with no training. We were also renting so we didn't care about the floors if something went wrong.

He is almost never in his crate now (we don't even have it in the house). We only use it when we are traveling. He loves being in the crate while in the car (sheds too bad to have him on the seats) and he doesn't mind being locked up while at my parents.

So...don't take any advice from me. We weren't the best about crate training and hardly ever use it, but when we do he does't mind it.
itscsalvo

Postby itscsalvo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:54 pm

For me, I don't remember all of the research, but I thought the more important factor was how long a dog is expected to hold its pee and poop. In that regard, 1 month = 1 hour, up to 8 hours. So when we were initially kenneling the dog, I had it by my bed so I knew whenever he needed to go out. I never really paid attention to how long to keep the dog in the kennel, but I never had him kenneled when I was working and he was still a pup pup. I blocked off part of my kitchen and set him up with food/water pee pads and a bed. If he missed the pad, it was easy to clean and bleach. I would come home at lunch to let him out, usually twice.

But yeah, I forgot the rest of what I was going to say, but I didn't pay attention to kennel times, but more importantly, my dog's bladder. This was 4 years ago, though, so my memory could be hazy.
Erin

Postby Erin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:04 pm

wags83 wrote:Plus they look like teddy bears as puppies.

Who doesn't just melt seeing these little pups?! I have 3 co-workers that have golden doodles and they all love them. One of them just got married and bought the 'doodle for his wife's bday present. He didn't want to get this breed, but he's totally smitten now!

Return to “Off Topic”