Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Dog

Talk about anything.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:47 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post She's sleeping there tonight?!

No, she just likes to lay there because the rug is cozy. She sleeps in her crate.
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Is she house trained already?

Not enough to be trusted outside of a crate, but she's doing really well so far!
CrckrJack

Dog

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:13 am

When we were house trainign bella i kept looking up things for how to do it and i would always stumble across the posts where the author is like "My dog is only 3 days old and it's already house trained!" and then he would list how often he took the dog out and it was like every 30 seconds.

Exaggerating a little here, but you get the point.

Bella still has a few accidents when we ignore here for a little bit, but she's only 7 months old so that's a little to be expected.

Good luck on your poop poop!
Erin

Dog

Postby Erin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks all!! We're looking into pet insurance-- does anyone have it or have an opinion on it?
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Yeah! Do ya!?!?
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Yeah! Do ya!?!?

Tylersucks does and swears by it, I told him to come and sell you on it.

We don't have it for Roscoe because we don't like him enough. Roscoe once swallowed a needle and required 2 different trips to the vent and 2 x-rays, but it was still cheaper to pay that out of pocket vs pet insurance.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post Yeah! Do ya!?!?

Tylersucks does and swears by it, I told him to come and sell you on it.

We don't have it for Roscoe because we don't like him enough. Roscoe once swallowed a needle and required 2 different trips to the vent and 2 x-rays, but it was still cheaper to pay that out of pocket vs pet insurance.

If pet insurance was like people insurance where it covers one check up per year I would be more inclined to get it, but it looks like it only ever covers visits if it's for a specific injury or illness. Idk, I'm still torn. We should probably decide soon since her first vet visit is next week and I don't want any little problem to be considered a pre-existing condition.
Corey
Site Admin

Dog

Postby Corey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:54 pm

We don't have insurance but have the VCA Care Club. $38/month covers 5 exams/year and all vaccines. It ends up being only like $150 more over the year if we don't use the extra exams. It is also nice since there isn't any giant vaccine bill once a year.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Dang, how many exams do dogs need? I feel like we took our dogs in maybe once a year.
Corey
Site Admin

Dog

Postby Corey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:00 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Dang, how many exams do dogs need? I feel like we took our dogs in maybe once a year.

Just once but if something happens you can go in for free
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post $38/month covers 5 exams/year and all vaccines.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Dang, how many exams do dogs need? I feel like we took our dogs in maybe once a year.

I agree with Wags.
$38 x 12 = $456
No way does the average person spend anywhere close to this a year on a dog. Dogs don't even get shots every year, and when they do it's not much more than $75 for the entire visit.

Having said that, we end up bringing Roscoe to the vet once a year for allergies, but those checkups are usually $50 and that includes the medication. This year they said I could just call and get the medication since it's always the same time of year for the same thing.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:12 pm

I set up an appointment and I'm seeing that the vet we are going to has something similar to what Corey is describing. I'll just see what they say on Monday. I think there is also a groupon available for this clinic.
Corey
Site Admin

Dog

Postby Corey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post $38/month covers 5 exams/year and all vaccines.

I agree with Wags.
$38 x 12 = $456
No way does the average person spend anywhere close to this a year on a dog. Dogs don't even get shots every year, and when they do it's not much more than $75 for the entire visit.

Having said that, we end up bringing Roscoe to the vet once a year for allergies, but those checkups are usually $50 and that includes the medication. This year they said I could just call and get the medication since it's always the same time of year for the same thing.

It was only like $150 more than our vaccines last year. I meant to cancel it this year but forgot since it is in Bloomington.
CrckrJack

Dog

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I set up an appointment and I'm seeing that the vet we are going to has something similar to what Corey is describing. I'll just see what they say on Monday. I think there is also a groupon available for this clinic.

I'm sure you are already doing this but you should take in some of his poop and get it examined for worms if the place you got him from didn't check that.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:22 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I set up an appointment and I'm seeing that the vet we are going to has something similar to what Corey is describing. I'll just see what they say on Monday. I think there is also a groupon available for this clinic.

I'm sure you are already doing this but you should take in some of his poop and get it examined for worms if the place you got him from didn't check that.

I haven't yet but I have read that you should. The foster lady said all the puppies were given deworming medication already. I'm not sure how long they need to keep that up to make sure they don't have worms. I guess I'll find that out Monday.
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:29 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I'm not sure how long they need to keep that up to make sure they don't have worms.

Monthly for heart worms.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:33 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I'm not sure how long they need to keep that up to make sure they don't have worms.

Monthly for heart worms.

I thought the puppy ones were for different worms. Like the ones in the gut that lots of puppies get. I think heartworm medication is supposed to wait until she's at least a little older.
ejhartman91

Dog

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I think heartworm medication is supposed to wait until she's at least a little older.

Our Aussiedoodle is only 3 months old and we've been giving him heartworm meds since we first took him to the vet at 8 weeks old.
Kath525

Dog

Postby Kath525 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:39 pm

wags83 wrote:I haven't yet but I have read that you should. The foster lady said all the puppies were given deworming medication already. I'm not sure how long they need to keep that up to make sure they don't have worms. I guess I'll find that out Monday.

Our puppy was getting deworming medicine too but ended up having a type of worms that lives inside the cells which means you need different medicine than the standard deworming medicine. So you should for sure check! Also heart worms are scary and can affect dogs of all ages and are very hard and very expensive to treat to ask about heart worm medication right away. We give our dogs the heartworm meds every other month instead of every month because it's expensive and have been told that's ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: Dog

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Google heartworms if you want to have nightmares.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Fran made her first friend today. Sorry if anyone dies from their heart melting.
ImageImage

Return to “Off Topic”