Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Dog

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Dog

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Daaaaaaw. Who's doggy is that? Did he protect her as she napped? Looks like you need to get her a full time friend
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:12 am

It's Erin's friend's dog. He's in training to be a therapy dog and is so nice and chill. We were worried that Fran would be scared of other dogs because our neighbor's dogs are evil, but these two played a lot tonight and then both slept for a bit.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:16 am

She likes to sit on my shoulder and cuddle the pillow.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Dog

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:12 am

Dogs love getting in positions where their butts are in your face
bmyoungs

Dog

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:29 am

Tyler wrote:Dogs love getting in positions where their butts are in your face

Children (at least Marshall) like to do the same

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Erin

Dog

Postby Erin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:01 pm

I was so glad they ended up as friends!! At first Jerry could have cared less and Fran was a bit afraid and protective of her backyard. Tonight is a big test- my cousin and his wife have a dog the same breed as our evil dogs next door and we're taking her over to their place to meet. They look identical but my cousin's dog has a typical bark vs "I wanna rip your head off" bark. We're all going up to the cabin in a few weeks so I'm hoping she won't be deathly afraid of him.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Dog

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:57 pm

Erin wrote:I was so glad they ended up as friends!! At first Jerry could have cared less and Fran was a bit afraid and protective of her backyard. Tonight is a big test- my cousin and his wife have a dog the same breed as our evil dogs next door and we're taking her over to their place to meet. They look identical but my cousin's dog has a typical bark vs "I wanna rip your head off" bark. We're all going up to the cabin in a few weeks so I'm hoping she won't be deathly afraid of him.

How did it go?!?!
Erin

Dog

Postby Erin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:19 am

Pretty well!! Their dog, Nordy was barking at first but she didn't seem too scared. He kept wanting to play with her and while a little nervous, she was still interested in being around him. By the end of the night they were kissing and cuddling! Image
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:52 am

Fran learned "sit" yesterday, so that was exciting. Hopefully she remembers it.
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Fran learned "sit" yesterday, so that was exciting. Hopefully she remembers it.

World's. Smartest. Dog.
That's awesome. Have you talked about obedience school for when she's older? We did it for Roscoe. Was 1 day a week for like 6 weeks. I thought it helped at the time and he learned some commands that he still knows.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post Fran learned "sit" yesterday, so that was exciting. Hopefully she remembers it.

World's. Smartest. Dog.
That's awesome. Have you talked about obedience school for when she's older? We did it for Roscoe. Was 1 day a week for like 6 weeks. I thought it helped at the time and he learned some commands that he still knows.

We kind of talked about it. We've more so talked about a puppy class where she can interact with other dogs her age. The vet said that's good for their socialization and also to learn things like how hard to bite when playing.
Erin

Dog

Postby Erin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 am

Yeah, I emailed a place that was recommended by our rescue organization. A lot of people have said the biggest benefit from classes is being socialized with other dogs.

She also knows "go in" to come back in the house. She came in and went straight to the cupboard her food/treats are stored in and sat this morning...glad she remembers it still! Haha
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post We've more so talked about a puppy class where she can interact with other dogs her age

Exactly. That was our reasoning too. Roscoe grew up to be anti-social though regardless.

I'm watching Tylersucks's dog for 10 days at the end of the month. He watched Roscoe for 9 days in June and said after half a week the 2 dogs actually got along great. I am hoping they remember right away that they like each other. Roscoe is lazy and would rather chill whereas some dogs have too much energy for him.
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am

Erin wrote:Source of the post She also knows "go in"

Amateur hour! Everyone knows you're suppose to speak to your dog in German commands if you really want to get them to understand.
"German commands are generally short and distinct, and because of the 'sound' of the language, they can seem more forceful than their English counterparts"
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Exactly. That was our reasoning too. Roscoe grew up to be anti-social though regardless.

So far she has done well with the dogs that she's met. She is even less scared of the neighbor dogs and doesn't sprint to the door when they come out and start barking.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Everyone knows you're suppose to speak to your dog in German commands if you really want to get them to understand.

We speak German at home to each other and we don't want her to think we are always talking to her, so we use English instead.
ejhartman91

Dog

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post We kind of talked about it. We've more so talked about a puppy class where she can interact with other dogs her age. The vet said that's good for their socialization and also to learn things like how hard to bite when playing.

We take ours to doggie daycare now and then for socialization with other dogs. We had a trainer come to our house when our first dog was a puppy. It was nice because the trainer helped us work on specific problem areas. It was really more training us than the dog, because the real training happens through lots of repetitions and work. The trainer basically taught us exercises that teach your dog certain commands. One of my favorite is when I say "BED!" She runs over to her bed and lays down on it.
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post We speak German at home to each other and we don't want her to think we are always talking to her, so we use English instead.

That makes sense.
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post One of my favorite is when I say "BED!" She runs over to her bed and lays down on it.

We should start calling you Cesar Millan
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post One of my favorite is when I say "BED!" She runs over to her bed and lays down on it.

That's really nice. She seems to be getting "kennel" now and doesn't try to walk out after getting in it. She does still whine sometimes when we lock the door and walk away.
Tyler
Owner

Dog

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post That's really nice. She seems to be getting "kennel" now and doesn't try to walk out after getting in it. She does still whine sometimes when we lock the door and walk away.

Just remember to never put her in the crate as a punishment. The crate should be her safe place.
wags83

Dog

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post That's really nice. She seems to be getting "kennel" now and doesn't try to walk out after getting in it. She does still whine sometimes when we lock the door and walk away.

Just remember to never put her in the crate as a punishment. The crate should be her safe place.

Werd, we've never done that. She only goes in at night for bed or when neither of us can watch her.

Return to “Off Topic”