Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Desk/PC Setups

Talk about anything.
bmyoungs

Desk/PC Setups

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Opted for deeper vs. longer.

Do you feel like the monitors are too far from your face? I have monitor arm mounts at home and work and I sit a lot closer to my monitors than your new desk would allow.

I've been looking at Ikea desks lately. I wish they had more options in the color I want...brown/black.
It is farther away, I will find out how I like it after I really use it. It may be an issue with text.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ejhartman91

Desk/PC Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:28 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I have monitor arm mounts at home and work

Arm mounts are the best. I want to get another for my secondary monitor.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Desk/PC Setups

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:55 pm

I went to Ikea and got the same desk as bmyoungs, just the black brown color. I'm worried it might be too deep, but we will see how it looks when I get home tomorrow.

My monitor arms clamp onto the back, but I might bolt it into the desk and screw a groment hole in the desk for cables.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:07 pm

I got Alex (cabinet) together and had to take a break, might finish today or tomorrow. I think I'll need to order longer power and video cables for monitor.

Million dollar question. Do you center the monitors to the table like bmyoungs, or center them to the chair spot?
bmyoungs

Desk/PC Setups

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Tyler wrote:I got Alex (cabinet) together and had to take a break, might finish today or tomorrow. I think I'll need to order longer power and video cables for monitor.

Million dollar question. Do you center the monitors to the table like bmyoungs, or center them to the chair spot?
I didn't have much choice since I used that riser. What would you use the other section for if you don't center them to the desk

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Desk/PC Setups

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:19 pm

bmyoungs wrote:
Tyler wrote:I got Alex (cabinet) together and had to take a break, might finish today or tomorrow. I think I'll need to order longer power and video cables for monitor.

I didn't have much choice since I used that riser. What would you use the other section for if you don't center them to the desk

Just empty space I guess. Maybe plug a work laptop in there, but that is only once every couple of months.
Tyler
Owner

Desk/PC Setups

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:51 pm

This desk is huge, doesn't look it in the pictures, but the surface area is at least double what my old one was. Good thing I have this massive desk so I can not put anything on it.

I'm happy with how the tower sets inside the 2 legs on the side. I can't open the front panel to access the CD drive, but that really isn't an issue. Was also a huge plus to be able to access the back of the tower without pulling it all out. Old layout made it impossible to see anything back there.

Bonus. Cold air return duct was installed by me a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's making a difference or not.

Side view. I cheated the cabinet back a little. I can live with the gap

I got lazy and didn't drill any holes. Cable management is solid 6.75/10. Can't see any of it under the desk while standing. Wouldn't be hard to make it flawless, but would need longer monitor power cables and some kind of channel to mount underneath. Instead I used lots of velcro ties and a few clear 3M hooks.

Quick access for Oculus headset. I don't want to drill a hole in the back of the cabinet so I will no longer be keeping it stored in a drawer already plugged in.
bmyoungs

Desk/PC Setups

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:00 pm

I really like the rift extension placement. Will be copying this.

Tyler
Owner

Desk/PC Setups

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:14 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I really like the rift extension placement. Will be copying this.

Good spot for when I play standing games, but will be a little annoying for bigscreen since the Rift cable comes out on the left side of the headset. The cable will have to wrap around my body
ejhartman91

Desk/PC Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Just got my new dual monitor mount installedImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:55 pm

I like that a lot. Clean look. Get a wireless keyboard to emlimate all wires.

I assume it just clamps onto the back? Are you able to adjust the 2 monitors independently since they are different sized, or do they have to move up and down together? I'm guessing you could since the bottoms lined up. I think mine have to be moved as one unit.
ejhartman91

Desk/PC Setups

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Tyler wrote:I like that a lot. Clean look. Get a wireless keyboard to emlimate all wires.

I assume it just clamps onto the back? Are you able to adjust the 2 monitors independently since they are different sized, or do they have to move up and down together? I'm guessing you could since the bottoms lined up. I think mine have to be moved as one unit.
I like the mechanical keyboard too much to go wireless! I think I read in Amazon Q&As you can individually adjust monitor height but not sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Desk/PC Setups

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 pm

My new setup. Will be getting a triple monitor mount soon for a third that I'll inevitably buy Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Remember when you thought it would only extend the wall by a few inches? Lolol.

Will be awesome with 3 monitors. Clean up your cables now!
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Desk/PC Setups

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Tyler wrote:Remember when you thought it would only extend the wall by a few inches? Lolol.

Will be awesome with 3 monitors. Clean up your cables now!
I said a few inches past where I had it before (with the little cabinet thing). It's about 6 inches past there

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm just busting your chops because I'm jealous. I wanted that same one at first. Your existing file cabinet fits like a glove
wags83

Desk/PC Setups

Postby wags83 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Got a new desk. Fits the space, and has the right configuration for what I need, plus extra storage. Now I just need a mount for my monitors so they aren't made even by a book and a few comics.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Desk/PC Setups

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Where is the after photo?

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm

You have your Google home there?!?! Put it in the kitchen. And nice cable management....not!!!

Looks good tho
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Desk/PC Setups

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 pm

I have so many questions. What are those CDs for? What wine are you drinking. Why is the FRONT of your computer so dusty

Return to “Off Topic”