Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Internet Speed

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Should be getting 200mb/20mb/2tb for $60/month. (I fully expect to call in a few months when my price goes up more than I expected and I need to talk them down again).

Had this phone call yesterday. I was actually paying $55 for 200mb/20mb/2tb and it went up to $69 once I got out of a promo I was in. I called yesterday and there wasn't anything they could do at this time and they sounded shock by what I was paying. I will probably call in a few months and see if there are any promos going on. I am okay with paying $69 for what I am getting.
bmyoungs

Internet Speed

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 am

We called to try and get them to give us the new customer rate of 60mb for 45 instead of the 30 we get. They wouldn't budge. Spectrum is tougher than Time Warner

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post We called to try and get them to give us the new customer rate of 60mb for 45 instead of the 30 we get. They wouldn't budge. Spectrum is tougher than Time Warner

Are you in a contract with them? If not can you cancel it and then have Sarah open an account in her name? I know of people who do this every 2 years once the new customer promo runs out.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Internet Speed

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:52 am

I should see if I can get faster speeds. Or maybe I should try a new modem and router first.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

DannyFanny wrote:I should see if I can get faster speeds. Or maybe I should try a new modem and router first.

What speeds are you paying for? What are you getting over WiFi and hardwired? What is your current modem and router?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Internet Speed

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:I should see if I can get faster speeds. Or maybe I should try a new modem and router first.

What speeds are you paying for? What are you getting over WiFi and hardwired? What is your current modem and router?

I think it's 50mbps. Wifi - I wish I was hardwired. Just the mediacom cable modem/router combo.
Tyler
Owner

Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I think it's 50mbps. Wifi - I wish I was hardwired. Just the mediacom cable modem/router combo.

There is no more 50 plan on mediacom. It is 60, 100, 200, 500, 1gig.

If you are only paying for 50/60mb I bet the modem can keep up with that, but there could be room for improvement on the router. Do some WiFi speedtests on different devices and in different areas of your house.

Why can't you hardwire? It's your house! Start drilling some holes and pulling cables. I was able to tap into the cold air return and pull some ethernet across the house and up a floor so I could centrally locate my wireless access point.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Internet Speed

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I think it's 50mbps. Wifi - I wish I was hardwired. Just the mediacom cable modem/router combo.

There is no more 50 plan on mediacom. It is 60, 100, 200, 500, 1gig.

If you are only paying for 50/60mb I bet the modem can keep up with that, but there could be room for improvement on the router. Do some WiFi speedtests on different devices and in different areas of your house.

Why can't you hardwire? It's your house! Start drilling some holes and pulling cables. I was able to tap into the cold air return and pull some ethernet across the house and up a floor so I could centrally locate my wireless access point.

I think it was 50 when I signed up roughly a year ago. My house is small so wifi coverage shouldn't be too bad. I'm too lazy to pull cable, might pull a line or two this summer though. I have the cable and can get wall plates, quick ports, and patch cables through work.
Sarah

Internet Speed

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:05 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post We called to try and get them to give us the new customer rate of 60mb for 45 instead of the 30 we get. They wouldn't budge. Spectrum is tougher than Time Warner

Are you in a contract with them? If not can you cancel it and then have Sarah open an account in her name? I know of people who do this every 2 years once the new customer promo runs out.

We're not in contract with them, but our plan doesn't exist anymore since it was a time warner plan. Literally all our bills our in my name so it'd be Brad's first utility account if we cancelled to try and get a better deal.

I hate calling them so much that I'll probably wait a bit before we go that route, if at all.
Blue Jackets

Internet Speed

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 am

Verizon Fios now offers near-gigabit internet speeds for $70 per month
Verizon announced that its Fios fiber optic internet offerings are getting a serious upgrade today with Fios Gigabit Connection.

Despite the “gigabit” name, the new service offers slightly less than gigabit speeds at a still impressive 940 Mbps down / 880 Mbps up, and serves as an upgrade to Fios Instant Internet, which offered 750 Mbps upload and download speeds.

According to Verizon, the new (almost) gigabit internet will be available to customers in the New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Richmond, Va., Hampton Roads, Va., Boston, Providence and Washington, D.C. areas, but you’ll probably have to check with your local Fios service given the historically spotty availability of Fios.
Tyler
Owner

Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:07 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Verizon Fios now offers near-gigabit internet speeds for $70 per month

How does Fios work? Is there a data cap? Is there a router that you can plug devices into?
Blue Jackets

Internet Speed

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:28 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Verizon Fios now offers near-gigabit internet speeds for $70 per month

Turns out Verizon’s $70 gigabit internet costs way more than $70
it turns out that the ultra-low price is only for new customers who don’t have Fios already. Existing customers who have tried to upgrade were reportedly met with confusion, with some customers facing upgrade costs of up to $200 a month for the gigabit service.

Additionally, even setting aside Verizon’s poor messaging about the plan for current customers, it turns out that even new customers probably won’t be paying $70 a month, as Verizon will be charging either a $10 monthly rental or $150 one-time fee for a Fios router. And apparently, diving in to the fine print of Verizon’s website reveals that even if a customer is eligible for the $70 per month price, that service is actually a $195 / month plan which is reduced to $70 through a $10 online discount and a $115 "special bonus discount,” which is only valid for either 12 or 24 months. (The site isn’t totally clear.)
bmyoungs

Internet Speed

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:38 am

Holy shit that's some hardcore false pricing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:02 am

Wow Verizon...not shady at all.
wags83

Internet Speed

Postby wags83 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:16 am

Idk, I guess it's because I worked for Comcast for 3 years, but I would have definitely assumed the $70 was a promo price only. I've never seen any of these big providers actually advertise their regular rates. It's always "limited time" price and usually for new customers only.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
bmyoungs

Internet Speed

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am

wags83 wrote:Idk, I guess it's because I worked for Comcast for 3 years, but I would have definitely assumed the $70 was a promo price only. I've never seen any of these big providers actually advertise their regular rates. It's always "limited time" price and usually for new customers only.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah it really shouldn't be legal to advertise only your new customer rates. If I go to my provider website nowhere doors it say what standard pricing is for any plans. Why do I need to negotiate rates with my cable company.
Tyler
Owner

Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If I go to my provider website nowhere doors it say what standard pricing is for any plans. Why do I need to negotiate rates with my cable company.

Bingo. Same for mine. There is no standard price. They charge as much as they can based on the individual it seems. When I worked at NW there were 5 of us with the exact same internet plan (no cable, phone) and all of us paid a different price.

This is why I call my ISP a few times a year and ask what they can do about my price.
wags83

Internet Speed

Postby wags83 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 am

Oh I agree that I don't think it's right, I just am not surprised that it's a promo rate.

And I think ISP's are required to send a price sheet once or twice a year. I know with Comcast it was put in with the billing statement so there was one month with a bunch of extra pages on the statement that I'm sure no one looks at. So there definitely is a standard rate, it's just the rate that nobody wants to pay.
bmyoungs

Internet Speed

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 pm

wags83 wrote:Oh I agree that I don't think it's right, I just am not surprised that it's a promo rate.

And I think ISP's are required to send a price sheet once or twice a year. I know with Comcast it was put in with the billing statement so there was one month with a bunch of extra pages on the statement that I'm sure no one looks at. So there definitely is a standard rate, it's just the rate that nobody wants to pay.

I bet it has something to do with constantly sending out mailers and TV ads that promote lower rates and better services.

If they operated like wireless carriers where the is literally only one price I'd have no problem at all with paying it.
Tyler
Owner

Internet Speed

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:48 am

My speeds have gone up drastically since doing my DIY router. Paying for 200Mb/30Mb. I use to max out around 120-150.

Return to “Off Topic”