Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Things you've had to unlearn that your parents taught you

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:38 pm

What are some things your parents taught or enforced and it wasn't until living on your own that you realized it was wrong?

Some that come to mind for me.

Animal parents will abandon their babies if you touch them, specially bunnies and birds. False! They just tell kids that so they don't mess with it
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Butter doesn't have to go on sandwiches. My family loves butter and I had never even tried mayo on a sandwich until college and Jimmy Johns.

Speaking of food, chicken doesn't have to be fried. We use to go to the Fin 'n Feather every Thursday and I loved their broasted chicken. It wasn't until living with Jocelyn that I learned how versatile chicken can be.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:26 pm

I'll have to think about this one for a minute.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Speaking of food, chicken doesn't have to be fried. We use to go to the Fin 'n Feather every Thursday and I loved their broasted chicken. It wasn't until living with Jocelyn that I learned how versatile chicken can be.

hahahaha.. ya i prefer chicken cooked a lot of different ways then broasted
Tyler
Owner

Re: Things you've had to unlearn that your parents taught you

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Think guys, I can't be the only one with something like this. Another food related thing is the amount of pop we had on hand growing up. I had soda with every meal. I was actually able to get my mom to drink more water when she admitted last year the only time she drinks water is when she takes medicine. I rarely buy soda for home now, but will buy one for a movie
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Yeah we had lots of soda too. I would say I rarely drink pop now, but I go through quite a bit when I drink on the weekends. During the week though it's almost only water with a bottle of tea for lunch and maybe a cup of hot tea in the morning or evening.

I think just my parents agreeing with me on stupid little things, like who their favorite ninja turtle was, favorite color, etc.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:06 am

I think overall world views change a lot especially when getting out of small-town NW Iowa.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:40 am

How dare you question my parents. They raised a perfect specimen and can do no wrong!

In all seriousness though, this is a very interesting topic I find myself constantly revisiting. It's funny even talking with my wife about how biased we can be when it comes to certain things our parents did or taught us while growing up.

I can't think of any at the moment that I've specifically tried to unlearn.
Erin

Postby Erin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Haha I love this thread! Very creative, Tyler. One thing that comes to mind is that amount of movie-quoting my family does in everyday conversation. I remember thinking it was weird going to college and my friends there never understood the same jokes that I was used to hearing and saying around them.
Tag

Postby Tag » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:21 pm

"we'll see..." when asking for something... always gave me hope but now i realize its a nice no.

if you drink milk, youll grow big/strong....totally thought this was real and would freak if i hadnt drank milk recently

we're almost there............yowza this one always was lie
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Wallinguana

Postby Wallinguana » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:23 pm

My mother got pulled over driving through a yellow light once so I was taught to slam on the brakes if a light turned yellow.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Think guys, I can't be the only one with something like this. Another food related thing is the amount of pop we had on hand growing up. I had soda with every meal. I was actually able to get my mom to drink more water when she admitted last year the only time she drinks water is when she takes medicine. I rarely buy soda for home now, but will buy one for a movie

when i was a kid pop was kinda a treat for us, probably not until around high school i drank it more, but then when i went to college i barely drank any
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Tag wrote:Source of the post

if you drink milk, youll grow big/strong....

i still like to think that is why Kevin and I got taller then the whole family
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Tag wrote:Source of the post "we'll see..." when asking for something... always gave me hope but now i realize its a nice no.
if you drink milk, youll grow big/strong....totally thought this was real and would freak if i hadnt drank milk recently
we're almost there............yowza this one always was lie

Haha, those are fun ones that every kid experienced.

Wallinguana wrote:Source of the post My mother got pulled over driving through a yellow light once so I was taught to slam on the brakes if a light turned yellow.

Not a horrible thing to have cemented in your brain
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Huss Buss wrote:
Tag wrote:Source of the post

if you drink milk, youll grow big/strong....

i still like to think that is why Kevin and I got taller then the whole family

Yeah I drink milk more than water, so clearly that wasn't a lie. It just takes all the milk to grow big and strong!
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:36 pm

Oh man.... I have a lot of these but with divorced parents they're all depressing things.... To name a few:
- don't use money to demonstrate love or punishment
- yelling is not a great way to resolve conflict
- silence is also not a great way to resolve conflict

Things I learned that have served me well:
- when camping it is crucial to tie and hoist any food you bring to prevent bears from getting it
- moose are dangerous, do not approach moose for photos or hit them with your car, the first will get you stampeded, the second will kill you, total your car, and do nothing to the moose
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:26 am

Sarah wrote:Source of the post Things I learned that have served me well:
- when camping it is crucial to tie and hoist any food you bring to prevent bears from getting it
- moose are dangerous, do not approach moose for photos or hit them with your car, the first will get you stampeded, the second will kill you, total your car, and do nothing to the moose

Did life experiences make you learn these lessons?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Tyler wrote:

Sarah was killed by a moose once, similar to izombie
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:09 pm

bmyoungs wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Sarah was killed by a moose once, similar to izombie

A moose once ate my sister.
JocelynJane

Postby JocelynJane » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:15 pm

My parents always picked up after us when I was growing up. My brothers and I would leave our plates at the table after we were done eating, we would leave wrappers all over the house, toys out, etc. My mom and dad always cleaned up after our lazy butts, so we never learned better. As an adult I now realize how awful and frustrating that would be as a parent. But we never were held accountable for it!

Everyone in my family also would leave the empty box/bag of food in the cabinet or fridge when it was gone. The worst. We would all get so mad at each other. Wow, I guess we were slobs!

My mom always told me not to eat spicy food before bed because it gives you nightmares. And that a full moon makes kids act up. Bought into both of those big time!

Return to “Off Topic”