Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Things you've had to unlearn that your parents taught you

Talk about anything.
goldenrod

Postby goldenrod » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:15 pm

JocelynJane wrote:My parents always picked up after us when I was growing up. My brothers and I would leave our plates at the table after we were done eating, we would leave wrappers all over the house, toys out, etc. My mom and dad always cleaned up after our lazy butts, so we never learned better. As an adult I now realize how awful and frustrating that would be as a parent. But we never were held accountable for it!

Everyone in my family also would leave the empty box/bag of food in the cabinet or fridge when it was gone. The worst. We would all get so mad at each other. Wow, I guess we were slobs!

My mom always told me not to eat spicy food before bed because it gives you nightmares. And that a full moon makes kids act up. Bought into both of those big time!

We make our kids clean the house which includes dusting the entire house and cleaning all 3 of our bathrooms. After every meal it is their job to help load the dishwasher wash the table and chairs and sweep the dining room and kitchen. They always unload the dishwasher for us. They also help with the laundry. We have to tell them what settings to use and then they fold everything and put the clothes away. They also help me outside with things when I need it and other odds and ends around the house when I ask.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 pm

That's great. Teach them young to help out and keep a clean house. Too many people make it to college without doing a single load of laundry.
goldenrod

Postby goldenrod » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 pm

My kids also have learned how to cook a few things. Brianna can make an amazing omelette.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 am

Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 am

JocelynJane wrote:Source of the post Everyone in my family also would leave the empty box/bag of food in the cabinet or fridge when it was gone. The worst.

You rarely do this anymore. Bigger thing is never closing/sealing bags after snacking.

I picked up bad cleaning habits from my mom too, but the other extreme. Feddersen and Jocelyn always accuse me of never relaxing. If we are eating downstairs in front of the TV I feel the urge to immediately put the dirty dish in the washer as soon as I'm done eating. It is hard for me to wait until the end of the show to do it.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:36 am

JocelynJane wrote:Source of the post Everyone in my family also would leave the empty box/bag of food in the cabinet or fridge when it was gone. The worst.

One of my biggest pet peeves. It happens all the time at work.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post If we are eating downstairs in front of the TV I feel the urge to immediately put the dirty dish in the washer as soon as I'm done eating

I rarely wait very long to bring my dishes to my kitchen usually on a commercial break. Then I like to wash the dishes after the show. If I don't do it right away, then it won't get done that night.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post put the dirty dish in the washer as soon as I'm done eating.

I do this as well. Not sure if it annoys anyone or not.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:21 am

Kathryn and I are really good at leaving the clean dishes in the dishwasher and the dirty dishes in the sink :)
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:55 am

If you get a cut/scrap you should only wear a bandaid part time. It is important for the cut to air out and form a scab.
I think this is 100% false and you should keep it covered, and a scab actually slows the healing process.

Not wearing a coat while it is cold out will give you a cold. You do not get colds from being out in the cold.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post If you get a cut/scrap you should only wear a bandaid part time. It is important for the cut to air out and form a scab.
I think this is 100% false and you should keep it covered, and a scab actually slows the healing process.

I never heard this one
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Tyler wrote:If you get a cut/scrap you should only wear a bandaid part time. It is important for the cut to air out and form a scab.

My whole family still goes by this rule while I invested in those "advanced healing" bandaids (like blister bandaids). They are awesome and everything heals faster using them.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:33 pm

I pick at my wounds until they are healed.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:43 am

bmyoungs wrote:I pick at my wounds until they are healed.

The giant scar you have from doing this doesn't support any positive effect. Baby will be learning wound care from me.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:57 am

This came up in conversation this weekend. My mom told me when I was younger that if you lost a tooth and used your tongue to play with the gap or rub the new tooth growing in that it would grow in crooked and you would need braces.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Things you've had to unlearn that your parents taught you

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Somewhat related to this thread. Both Jocelyn and I grew up with our parents telling us to shut off the light in the car at night because it was illegal. I'm not going to look it up, but I assume they just said this because it distracted the driver.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 pm

Tyler wrote:Somewhat related to this thread. Both Jocelyn and I grew up with our parents telling us to shut off the light in the car at night because it was illegal. I'm not going to look it up, but I assume they just said this because it distracted the driver.
I tell my kids the same thing. It's just annoying to drive with bright lights on

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Somewhat related to this thread. Both Jocelyn and I grew up with our parents telling us to shut off the light in the car at night because it was illegal. I'm not going to look it up, but I assume they just said this because it distracted the driver.
I tell my kids the same thing. It's just annoying to drive with bright lights on

It never bothered me until recently. My eyesight is getting more sensitive as I get older. Efff that

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Driving myths

Driving with your interior lights on is illegal

We're going to put this one in the large file called Dad Myths. There doesn't seem to be a fine on the books for doing it, and the whole idea of "map lights" is that someone in the passenger seat might need to use them while you're driving, although less so in the sat nav era.

The main interior light is also handy for finding out just how far your son or daughter has stuck that jelly bean up their nose so you know whether you need to pull over. But the fact is, it's very annoying to the driver to operate a vehicle at night while they're on, which is why just about every Dad, ever, has said at some stage or other "Turn those bloody lights off, it's illegal you know!"
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 am

I remember being told not to have the lights on, but I don't remember ever being told it was illegal.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:40 am

.Image

Return to “Off Topic”