Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Talk about anything.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 25604
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 am

User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4251
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Pixel 2xl looks neat regular pixel is a hard pass

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 25604
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Pixel 2xl looks neat regular pixel is a hard pass

No headphone jack on either?

Also announced:
$160 bluetooth headphones. Gimmick is they work with Google Translate, but any headphones do that already?
$50 and $300 Google Homes
Candid camera. Google Clips. Place it in a room and it will take pictures of interesting things or people it recognizes. $250
User avatar
ejhartman91
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:12 pm
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am

I checked out both of these phones in a verizon store this past weekend. I honestly liked the Pixel 2 better. It's the perfect size and has all the same internals as the Pixel 2 XL. Early reviews say battery life is great and that the XL has some screen issues.
Ordered the Pixel 2 yesterday. Supposed to come with a free Google Home mini.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4251
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:I checked out both of these phones in a verizon store this past weekend. I honestly liked the Pixel 2 better. It's the perfect size and has all the same internals as the Pixel 2 XL. Early reviews say battery life is great and that the XL has some screen issues.
Ordered the Pixel 2 yesterday. Supposed to come with a free Google Home mini.
I thought the XL issues were based on reviews of the v30 screen since they are the same panel? Or is it more than the inconsistent color on low brightness?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
User avatar
ejhartman91
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:12 pm
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 pm

bmyoungs wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:I checked out both of these phones in a verizon store this past weekend. I honestly liked the Pixel 2 better. It's the perfect size and has all the same internals as the Pixel 2 XL. Early reviews say battery life is great and that the XL has some screen issues.
Ordered the Pixel 2 yesterday. Supposed to come with a free Google Home mini.
I thought the XL issues were based on reviews of the v30 screen since they are the same panel? Or is it more than the inconsistent color on low brightness?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not exactly sure I just know that the only negatives for the pixel 2 have been the bezels. The 2 XL has a lot of criticism for its display panel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
User avatar
Blue Jackets
Posts: 3074
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:20 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post The 2 XL has a lot of criticism for its display panel.

Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays are already showing burn-in
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 25604
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:57 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays are already showing burn-in

That's terrible. I wonder if Google is going to offer some kind of replacement option.
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 3100
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:57 am

These are usually pretty good about it, but man, that was some shoddy testing.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 25604
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:11 pm

We are a Roku family, but I hooked up a free Chromecast I had in a drawer to the downstairs 2nd input. It's pretty sweet to ask Google Home to play something on Youtube and it starts within seconds on the TV. I mostly wanted to do this so we could play music videos for Evie and use the surround sound.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4251
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Tyler wrote:We are a Roku family, but I hooked up a free Chromecast I had in a drawer to the downstairs 2nd input. It's pretty sweet to ask Google Home to play something on Youtube and it starts within seconds on the TV. I mostly wanted to do this so we could play music videos for Evie and use the surround sound.
Welp you talked me into getting a Chromecast

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 25604
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Welp you talked me into getting a Chromecast

If you watched a lot of Youtube it is probably worth it, its more of a gimmick for me. I doubt we use it for anything other than music videos
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4251
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Welp you talked me into getting a Chromecast

If you watched a lot of Youtube it is probably worth it, its more of a gimmick for me. I doubt we use it for anything other than music videos
Can you have it directly play a show on Netflix? I can turn on Netflix currently with the harmony hub but after that I need a remote.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 25604
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Google Home (previously: Google's October 4th Event)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 pm

I "think" you can, but I didn't test that. I assume it could know where you left off in a series too.

Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests