Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Child care now costs more than in-state college tuition

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 am

This has been a topic of conversation for me lately, so I thought it was relevant.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/pf/child-care-costs/
The average cost of full-time daycare for kids up to the age of 4 has reached $9,589 a year, according to a new report from the think tank New America. That now tops the average cost of in-state college tuition, which runs about $9,410.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:05 am

That's insane.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:11 am

That is really ridiculous. Did anyone growing up go the sitters? My mom was a stay at home mom until we could watch ourselves.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:19 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Did anyone growing up go the sitters? My mom was a stay at home mom until we could watch ourselves

Yep. It was so weird finding a daycare for Evie because I never had anything like that growing up, I don't even remember having babysitters. However, I did have an older sister, so maybe she watched me sometimes, I just don't remember.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Did anyone growing up go the sitters? My mom was a stay at home mom until we could watch ourselves

Yep. It was so weird finding a daycare for Evie because I never had anything like that growing up, I don't even remember having babysitters. However, I did have an older sister, so maybe she watched me sometimes, I just don't remember.

I think we had a babysitter on like 3 occasions when my parents went out with friends when we were lil' chilluns.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:21 am

I'm also from small town Iowa, so I'm pretty sure my brother and I were allowed to stay home alone sooner than most city kids.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:21 am

My step-mom ran an in-home daycare before I moved to my grandmas, so she was screwing OTHER people over, instead. After I went to grandmothers, I went to a place called wee-care. They have outcroppings all over, which allows for free childcare for a certain percentage of the week per kid.

For instance, Indianola offers wee-care for 2 hours a week per kid, for free, no notice. Its just so parents can get a break, or run an errand, or just take a nap. Some wee-care go on for longer. The one I went to was for like 10 hours per week I think? Otherwise, my grandpa worked nights so that he could watch me during the day to avoid the costs.

Janelle and I had opposite shifts before. She used to go to work at 1230, and I would get home at 330, so 3 hour daycare at a lady was pretty cheap.

Now, we got super lucky and pay 150 a week total for both kids for full-time.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:26 am

I have never heard of Wee-Care, sounds like it's more of a babysitting thing than daycare. Do you ever use that for date night?
Is must be a non-profit run by the old ladies in town who love kids?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:43 am

Tyler wrote:I have never heard of Wee-Care, sounds like it's more of a babysitting thing than daycare. Do you ever use that for date night?
Is must be a non-profit run by the old ladies in town who love kids?

Not sure. I've never used it, but just it in the indianola magazine that gets mailed out. Also, don't think I've had a date night since like... Last year
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:45 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Also, don't think I've had a date night since like... Last year

Stop sounding like a martyr, you take week long vacations without the kids every other month.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:46 am

Tyler wrote:
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Also, don't think I've had a date night since like... Last year

Stop sounding like a martyr, you take week long vacations without the kids every other month.

Oh yeah, I have fun, but not with just Janelle.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:50 am

My grandpa took care of my oldest sister and me when we were little while my parents worked. My youngest 2 sisters did day care when they were really little during the school year while my parents worked and my oldest sister and I were in school and couldn't watch them. That daycare was just a lady who did it out of her house and only with a few kids, I don't think it was super expensive.
Erin

Postby Erin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:32 am

My mom worked PT, 3-4days/week after I was born. We had in-home daycare right next door that my sister and I went to until they moved when I was 5. My sister went to KinderCare for a few years, I went to the after school program. I know my mom said finding someone that would take kids PT was hard to find when we were young.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:21 am

My biggest issue with child care has been the lack of options. If you break down the cost to the hour it is actually pretty reasonable.

However for infant care we are on a wait list and won't know if we even have child care until November or January. A couple places have an expected availability of fall 2017!

Sarah's mom lives an hour away so it's not reasonable to expect her to watch our son more than once a week.

Just seems like there aren't enough options.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:53 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post My biggest issue with child care has been the lack of options

That sucks, even our small town of 3,000 had multiple options, we ended up going with one that is just blocks from our house.
It is crazy how soon you need to get on top of that. I thought we would figure it out when Evie was born, but Jocelyn knew enough to get it finalized way before that.
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If you break down the cost to the hour it is actually pretty reasonable

Agreed, paying $100+/week certainly sucks, but if you consider you are paying someone ~$3/hr to care for your kid it isn't as bad...but it all adds up.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:19 pm

I guess it is worth mentioning that we are all taking about in-home daycare. Daycare centers are when you get into the $9k+/year range.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Agreed, paying $100+/week certainly sucks, but if you consider you are paying someone ~$3/hr to care for your kid it isn't as bad...but it all adds up.

If the number you posted above is the average, it's closer to $200/week ($184.40 actually). Still only $4-5/hr when looking at the hourly, but that's still a ton of money I feel like.

edit: didn't see your other post

Luckily Erin works from home so when we decide to have kids she can just watch the baby while working, right?
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Our daycare bill when I'm on nights and can't keep the kids on my days off is 400 for two weeks. 10,400 a year

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:47 pm

jathko87 wrote:Source of the post Our daycare bill when I'm on nights and can't keep the kids on my days off is 400 for two weeks. 10,400 a year

This is for your 7 (4) kids?

You aren't actually paying $10k though, right, that is what it would be if you used the service regularly?
Erin

Postby Erin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:24 pm

wags83 wrote:[s]
Tyler wrote:Luckily Erin works from home so when we decide to have kids she can just watch the baby while working, right?

Health coaching and screaming baby comin' at ya!

My cousin ended lucked out by having her mom watch all 3 of her kids as they grew up. My mom has already told me she's not doing that...but she's also a big softie.

Return to “Off Topic”