Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Lawn Care

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:23 am

I de-thatched my lawn over the weekend. Tylersucks let me borrow his electric de-thatcher, it worked very well. Was a big pain to mow/rake the dead grass up.

Here's what it looks like when you use it
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:27 am

What I've learned about lawn care since owning a house.

Things to do in the fall:
Dethatch to get dead grass off the soil
Aerate to help get air into the soil
Lay a bunch of grass seed. The seed can now get to the soil since you removed the thatch
Hope the seed goes dormant during the winter and you have new grass in the spring.

Early Spring: Crabgrass/weed preventative

Summer: Fertilize and fight the weeds.
Sarah

Lawn Care

Postby Sarah » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:57 am

This year was observe our lawn and let it die slowly throughout the summer while we worried about moving in and growing the baby.

Next year we will be looking into actually caring for our lawn. The de-thatching seems greatly ignored in our neighborhood so I'm intrigued.

Is an electric dethacter going to work for larger areas/hills??
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Sarah wrote:Source of the post The de-thatching seems greatly ignored in our neighborhood so I'm intrigued.

Is an electric dethacter going to work for larger areas/hills??

I think everyone ignores dethatching, or they hire it out.

This unit worked fine on hills, but I'm not sure how it would work on your huge yard. Extension cords don't come that long.
wags83

Lawn Care

Postby wags83 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:43 pm

I didn't know what a dethatcher was until right now.
megatron

Lawn Care

Postby megatron » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:08 pm

wags83 wrote:I didn't know what a dethatcher was until right now.

Same
itscsalvo

Lawn Care

Postby itscsalvo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Wait, why do you have so much dead grass? Doesn't your lawn mower have a bag? And is a dethatcher just a big vacuum?
Tyler
Owner

Re: Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:54 am

I don't bag when I mow. Lawn care people say the grass clippings return a lot of nutrients into the soil and clippings actually don't contribute to thatch because they are 85% water.

The de-thatcher is not a vacuum, because it requires you to manually rake up the dead grass. It has a lot of little fingers and pulls the thatch layer out and flings it behind the machine.
CrckrJack

Lawn Care

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:27 am

This looks like 100% too much work.

also is this a typo?

Tyler wrote:Source of the post The seed can now get to the soil since you removed the thatch
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:47 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post also is this a typo?

It was...but now fixed
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:45 pm

I am dethatched, aerated, fall fertilized and over-seeded. Nothing to do now until spring.
wags83

Lawn Care

Postby wags83 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:03 pm

My landlord finally came to rake the leaves today.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Lawn Care

Postby Huss Buss » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:29 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I am dethatched, aerated, fall fertilized and over-seeded. Nothing to do now until spring.

man.. good thing the country living you need to worry about all that work..
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 am

ejhartman, did you get your Stage 1 crabgrass preventative down yesterday? I need to stop at McNards this week and get some.
SleepyChimera

Lawn Care

Postby SleepyChimera » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:28 am

I never understood what the big deal was about having a super green and fancy lawn. Your neighbor's will always look better anyways. lol I couldn't give 1/10th the effort you guys give. Plus mowing makes my face holes miserable so...
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:37 am

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post I never understood what the big deal was about having a super green and fancy lawn. Your neighbor's will always look better anyways. lol I couldn't give 1/10th the effort you guys give. Plus mowing makes my face holes miserable so...

I was pretty outdoorsy as a kid, but the older I get the less reasons I find to do outdoor activities (that will change the older the daughter gets though). I've always found yard work to be rewarding and a great excuse to get off the couch and be outside. I enjoy putting on a podcast and mowing on a 95 degree day. Feels good to work up a sweat while improving your curb appeal. I also take pride in projects and progress, and slowly turning your lawn around over the course of years is another rewarding thing for me.

Shoveling snow is the complete opposite. I like that you can mow on your own schedule and do it when you have time. Shoveling snow is just something you are forced to do when you go outside at 6am to leave for work and realize there is snow on the ground.
wags83

Lawn Care

Postby wags83 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Shoveling snow is the complete opposite. I like that you can mow on your own schedule and do it when you have time. Shoveling snow is just something you are forced to do when you go outside at 6am to leave for work and realize there is snow on the ground.

100% agree. I enjoy mowing when it's nice out and I have nothing to do. Shoveling sucks any time.
SleepyChimera

Lawn Care

Postby SleepyChimera » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:02 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Feels good to work up a sweat while improving your curb appeal.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post 100% agree

I think I'll just leave the yard work to my SO. But this might just all be because I have a black thumb. The only plant I can keep alive is aloe vera, but that still dies in my house because my cats think its funny to chew on it and then puke and then keep chewing.

FYI aloe vera is mildly toxic to cats.
ejhartman91

Lawn Care

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:16 am

Tyler wrote:ejhartman, did you get your Stage 1 crabgrass preventative down yesterday? I need to stop at McNards this week and get some.

Yep crabgrass preventer is down.

I discovered my yard is teeny. I originally bought the 50lb bag and returned it for the 15lb bag, only to use about 1/4th of that bag. I guess I won't need to buy any crabgrass preventer for a while.

Had to buy a broadcast spreader too. Got the last $20 one at Menards. It was more painful to assemble than I'll admit, but seems to work well enough.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:32 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Got the last $20 one at Menards. It was more painful to assemble than I'll admit, but seems to work well enough.

Yardworks brand? I think mine was $20 when I got it there a few years ago. Not as nice as a Scott's but it does the job at half the cost.

Good thing you returned the 50lb bag. Haha. I assume you have right around 0.2 acres, including the house?

Return to “Off Topic”