Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Lawn Care

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

Lawn Care

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:09 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Yardworks brand? I think mine was $20 when I got it there a few years ago. Not as nice as a Scott's but it does the job at half the cost.

Yep, Yardworks.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Good thing you returned the 50lb bag. Haha. I assume you have right around 0.2 acres, including the house?

According to Polk County assessor's site we have 0.215 acres.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post According to Polk County assessor's site we have 0.215 acres.

But you bought a mansion, so the usable yard is probably only 0.05 acres.
ejhartman91

Lawn Care

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post According to Polk County assessor's site we have 0.215 acres.

But you bought a mansion, so the usable yard is probably only 0.05 acres.

Sounds about right.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Ran to McNards over lunch and got my Stage 1 stuff as well. Will put that down this week sometime.
bmyoungs

Lawn Care

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Our yard will be interesting this year since we still have so much snow. I'll be putting down some grub killer this year for sure.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Everyone is outside today mowing or mulching.

Corey, have you bought a mower? I'll do my first mow on Wednesday I think.
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Lawn Care

Postby Corey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Tyler wrote:Everyone is outside today mowing or mulching.

Corey, have you bought a mower? I'll do my first mow on Wednesday I think.

There was a mower left here but idk if it works. Bought some grass seed and a spreader yesterday. I'll seed the lawn the next time it is looking like rain

bmyoungs

Lawn Care

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm

I wish the snow would melt soon

Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:19 am

How's everyone doing so far? I mowed the first time on Thursday and my yard could already use another mowing. I like doing it weekly, but I may be on a 5 day cycle this summer if it keeps growing like this.

Last night I hit the clover/weeds/dandelions with my sprayer. Watson2000 is still borrowing my 4 gallon backpack one so I had to use the little 1 gallon pumper. I'll probably give it a second pass on Thursday since I don't think I got it all.

Corey wrote:Source of the post There was a mower left here but idk if it works. Bought some grass seed and a spreader yesterday. I'll seed the lawn the next time it is looking like rain

How did this turn out? Did you get your seed down and does the mower work?
Corey
Site Admin

Lawn Care

Postby Corey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post How's everyone doing so far? I mowed the first time on Thursday and my yard could already use another mowing. I like doing it weekly, but I may be on a 5 day cycle this summer if it keeps growing like this.

Last night I hit the clover/weeds/dandelions with my sprayer. Watson2000 is still borrowing my 4 gallon backpack one so I had to use the little 1 gallon pumper. I'll probably give it a second pass on Thursday since I don't think I got it all.

Corey wrote:Source of the post There was a mower left here but idk if it works. Bought some grass seed and a spreader yesterday. I'll seed the lawn the next time it is looking like rain

How did this turn out? Did you get your seed down and does the mower work?

I haven't put any seed down yet. Next week is supposed to have rain Monday-Saturday (which is depressing) so I will probably try to get all the areas tilled up that look like crap and put seed on the whole yard this weekend. I haven't tried the mower yet because the lawn isn't even close to needing it. I haven't heard a lawnmower yet this year.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:22 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post I haven't tried the mower yet because the lawn isn't even close to needing it. I haven't heard a lawnmower yet this year.

It must suck to live in the arctic circle.
bmyoungs

Lawn Care

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 am

Lowe's had some grub control for $5 for a 24lb bag. I got 6 bags which should last 2-3 years. I'll put down some weed and feed next week supposed to be a bit warmer than it is this week. Grub mix will go down late next month.

Also got a real leaf blower to get rid of all the winter and in our yard. Lesson learned on buying cheap things for a large yard.

Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:50 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Lowe's had some grub control for $5 for a 24lb bag. I got 6 bags which should last 2-3 years

Have a bad grub problem? What's that do to the yard?
Sarah

Lawn Care

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Lowe's had some grub control for $5 for a 24lb bag. I got 6 bags which should last 2-3 years

Have a bad grub problem? What's that do to the yard?

Destroys the roots of the grass and invites birds and other bug eaters to dig up any remaining grass you have. Also when the grubs hatch you get a ton of beetles...

We ignored the yard entirely last year and saw a bunch of beetles. I don't​ think it's the whole yard but there's definitely a lot of patchy areas where we suspect the grubs are worst.
ejhartman91

Lawn Care

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:50 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Last night I hit the clover/weeds/dandelions with my sprayer. Watson2000 is still borrowing my 4 gallon backpack one so I had to use the little 1 gallon pumper. I'll probably give it a second pass on Thursday since I don't think I got it all.

What kind of sprayer do you have and where did you get it? I have some weeds that need termination by spray but I don't have a sprayer.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post What kind of sprayer do you have and where did you get it? I have some weeds that need termination by spray but I don't have a sprayer.

You can get a 1 gallon sprayer at any home store, including Walmart. I would recommend at least 2 gallons though so you're not filling it up at the hose every 5 minutes. This one at Harbor Freight for $15 looks great. Harbor Freight also has a 4 gallon backpack one for $25 (I've seen it as low as $20). I like using my backpack one, but it does take more place to store. You feel like a ghostbuster using it though.

I know you don't live close to HF though. Home Depot has the following:
2 gallon - $26
4 gallon - $85!!

Walmart:
2 gallon - $20

Might as well take a trip to HF. You'll find other stuff you want.

IMPORTANT:
Look at what you're buying and read the mix. Usually 4oz per gallon. Do you buy Roundup unless you are sure it's specifically weed killer and not weed/grass killer.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:57 am

Corey, did you get the backpack sprayer over the weekend?

Also, buy this
https://slickdeals.net/f/10081148-craft ... ore-pickup
Corey
Site Admin

Lawn Care

Postby Corey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey, did you get the backpack sprayer over the weekend?

Also, buy this
https://slickdeals.net/f/10081148-craft ... ore-pickup

Yeah I did. Sprayed the whole lawn (other than the bare spots I am planting new grass). All the dandelions look dead which is good.
Tyler
Owner

Lawn Care

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post Yeah I did. Sprayed the whole lawn (other than the bare spots I am planting new grass). All the dandelions look dead which is good.

You sprayed Saturday or Sunday and they look dead already? You must have had some strong stuff! Usually I can see some signs in 24 hours, but they aren't fully dead for a couple of days at least.
Corey
Site Admin

Lawn Care

Postby Corey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Corey wrote:Source of the post Yeah I did. Sprayed the whole lawn (other than the bare spots I am planting new grass). All the dandelions look dead which is good.

You sprayed Saturday or Sunday and they look dead already? You must have had some strong stuff! Usually I can see some signs in 24 hours, but they aren't fully dead for a couple of days at least.

The dandelions were full bloom yellow yesterday and today I can't see any from inside the house.

I used http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Weed-B ... /203686902

Return to “Off Topic”