Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Order site is up
https://madeby.google.com/

Pixel is available on Verizon...
Corey
Site Admin

Google Project Fi

Postby Corey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:15 pm

I was about to switch us to Fi and get new Pixel Phones (since I need to return my Note 7) but found out it'll save us $105 to wait 5 months for Meg's iPhone lease to complete. I still preordered a Pixel and we'll likely switch in 5 months as we can get plenty of data for the same amount we pay now (and have much improved coverage in Iowa).
itscsalvo

New phone and phone news

Postby itscsalvo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Pixel reviews are rolling in and people are pleasantly surprised. Now that people understand that the pixel isn't supposed to be a nexus, they're cool about it.

With all that being said, I'm happy with my recent purchase of an HTC 10 for around $550, with an accidental plan included in that cost.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

New phone and phone news

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:34 pm

itscsalvo wrote:Source of the post Pixel reviews are rolling in and people are pleasantly surprised.

You're not kidding. I think Jocelyn would want the normal, not XL. Corey also ordered the smaller one, which surprised me.
Engadget - Pixel 86/100, XL 87/100
Verge - homerun
Cnet - 8.8/10
itscsalvo

New phone and phone news

Postby itscsalvo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Don't let the "XL" fool you. The Pixel XL is smaller than the Nexus 6P. It's definitely not that large of a phone.
Tyler
Owner

New phone and phone news

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:38 pm

itscsalvo wrote:Source of the post Don't let the "XL" fool you. The Pixel XL is smaller than the Nexus 6P. It's definitely not that large of a phone.

But to be fair the non-XL is still bigger than the iPhone 6.
Tyler
Owner

Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:25 am

Trying to decide if we should get Jocelyn's Pixel through Verizon/Best Buy or Google Store.

Pros:
Get it this weekend
Possibly cheaper (Best Buy had a promo at one point)
Financing would be added to our current bill

Cons:
Waiting for shipping/stock (no XL in stock on Google store. Limited colors for 5" model)
Financing through Google - not a bad thing, but another thing
Verizon claims they will do updates at the same time as Google, but who knows
No option for Google Protect ($99 full warranty)
Verizon version comes with 3 Verizon apps, but you can remove them
bmyoungs

Google Pixel Phones

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 am

I think I'm going o get the regular. If I trade in my phone I'll get $200 which brings it to my $450 max price. I'll probably put some down to bring down financing cost also.
Tyler
Owner

Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:09 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I think I'm going o get the regular. If I trade in my phone I'll get $200 which brings it to my $450 max price. I'll probably put some down to bring down financing cost also.

I like that plan. I assume it is possible to make bigger payments on the device at anytime? My plan is finance the whole thing (through Google or Verizon), sell Jocelyn's phone, and then put that $200 towards the device, bringing down the monthly payments?
bmyoungs

Google Pixel Phones

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:31 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I think I'm going o get the regular. If I trade in my phone I'll get $200 which brings it to my $450 max price. I'll probably put some down to bring down financing cost also.

I like that plan. I assume it is possible to make bigger payments on the device at anytime? My plan is finance the whole thing (through Google or Verizon), sell Jocelyn's phone, and then put that $200 towards the device, bringing down the monthly payments?

The trade in through vzw comes as monthly credits so if you payoff early you pay full value. Down payments are allowed but you can't make a "balance payment" unless it's the full balance.

Not sure how Google financing works but I'm sure it's similar. They might not let you put a down payment though.
Tyler
Owner

Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Verizon version comes with 3 Verizon apps, but you can remove them

Not a huge deal, but all Pixels will download these 3 apps when a Verizon SIM card is inserted. It doesn't matter where the phone is purchased from.

However, the Verizon store model does have the OEM unlock option in Developer Options greyed out

With a working screen, Verizon will credit $205 if the iPhone 6 is traded in. I can get $275ish on eBay for it.
bmyoungs

Google Pixel Phones

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Verizon version comes with 3 Verizon apps, but you can remove them

Not a huge deal, but all Pixels will download these 3 apps when a Verizon SIM card is inserted. It doesn't matter where the phone is purchased from.

However, the Verizon store model does have the OEM unlock option in Developer Options greyed out

With a working screen, Verizon will credit $205 if the iPhone 6 is traded in. I can get $275ish on eBay for it.

Yeah bootloader is locked on Verizon version, which I don't care about. IPhone 6 might have the promo $300/trade in value might be worth checking. It won't specify until it is in the cart.
Tyler
Owner

Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post IPhone 6 might have the promo $300/trade in value might be worth checking. It won't specify until it is in the cart.

That is where I got the $205 credit from.
bmyoungs

Google Pixel Phones

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post IPhone 6 might have the promo $300/trade in value might be worth checking. It won't specify until it is in the cart.

That is where I got the $205 credit from.

Tyler
Owner

Re: Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:59 pm

Lol. I'm not doubting it says that, but when I do those steps it says $205. I'm guessing because it's the 16gb version which is the smallest
Tyler
Owner

Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 am

Based on Verizonwireless.com only a few locations have the silver one in stock today and only 1 per store? I hope that isn't accurate. Best Buy is still offering the $100 gift card if you buy it there and their stock (based on their website) appears to be a little better.

I didn't realize the difference in pricing between the Pixel and XL is only $3/month. You might as well get the bigger one for that price?
bmyoungs

Google Pixel Phones

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:03 am

Tyler wrote:Lol. I'm not doubting it says that, but when I do those steps it says $205. I'm guessing because it's the 16gb version which is the smallest

That's odd
Tyler
Owner

Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:36 pm

We went "just to look" today. Jocelyn picked it up and said it looked good enough. She didn't even consider the XL.
We went to Verizon first since I knew they would have them on display, but ended up getting it at Best Buy because you got a $100 gift card + Chromecast for getting it there. The Best Buy actually did only have 1 of each SKU and at 5:30pm both were still in stock.

This must not be a big deal outside of us nerds. Lady at Verizon didn't even know if they had any in stock and the same went for the first Best Buy mobile person we asked. I feel like if it was an iPhone release they would have been prepped.

The iPhone to Pixel migration was pretty cool. The phone comes with a USB to USB-C dongle that you connect to your iPhone charging cable and then hook it up between both phones. That transfers contacts, messages, pictures, music, emails, etc. Does not transfer apps or app login information. Speaking of the iPhone, this really does look almost exactly like an iPhone 6. It will take her awhile to not reach for the non-existent Home button.

I know everyone says this about every new phone, but the Pixel is extremely fast. There is no pause when switching between apps, especially when comparing it to my now sluggish Note 4. I am really jealous and will seriously consider getting one on Black Friday when I am eligible.
itscsalvo

Google Pixel Phones

Postby itscsalvo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the postThe Best Buy actually did only have 1 of each skew...

SKU. It's SKU. Said out loud like "skew," though. You get half credit.

Also, congrats to Jocelyn on getting one! I've heard great things about the Pixel, and namely that it's fast as shit. Like, unreasonably fast. Also, the camera is sick. Tell her to walk around the house while shooting a 4k video. You won't see any wobbles, as the camera binds and uses the gyroscope in the phone to reduce wiggles from walking.
Tyler
Owner

Google Pixel Phones

Postby Tyler » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:10 am

itscsalvo wrote:Source of the post SKU. It's SKU. Said out loud like "skew," though. You get half credit.

Let's blame it on the auto correct
(I was posting from my computer)

itscsalvo wrote:Source of the post Tell her to walk around the house while shooting a 4k video

I wonder if 4k video can be uploaded to Google Photos and not count against your Google account storage. With the Pixel full resolution pictures are automatically added to your Google Photos, whereas every other device (PCs included) Google does some slight changes while they are being uploaded so they can be grouped in the "unlimited" photo category.

Return to “Off Topic”