Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Riddles

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Riddles

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 am

We are all so smart here! Thanks for posting Megan.
SleepyChimera

Riddles

Postby SleepyChimera » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:48 pm

There are two sisters:
one gives birth to the other
she, in turn, gives birth to the first.
Who are the they?
wags83

Riddles

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:10 pm

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post There are two sisters:
Who are the they?

► Show Spoiler
SleepyChimera

Riddles

Postby SleepyChimera » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post There are two sisters:
Who are the they?

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Clearly I need to up my riddle game. You guys are getting these too easily.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Riddles

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 pm

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post Clearly I need to up my riddle game. You guys are getting these too easily.

Most of hear are more smarter then Tyler...
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Riddles

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 am

Pause at 1:05 for the Rules. Answer starts at 1:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvjIsyYng8
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Riddles

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 am

Actually here's a whole list of them.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... JFaikIFW30
bmyoungs

Riddles

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:04 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Pause at 1:05 for the Rules. Answer starts at 1:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvjIsyYng8

I've seen this one before. It's fun.
kyle

Riddles

Postby kyle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:16 pm

This one broke our brains for a long time. GET READY

A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

"I can see someone who has blue eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?

There are no mirrors or reflecting surfaces, nothing dumb. It is not a trick question, and the answer is logical. It doesn't depend on tricky wording or anyone lying or guessing, and it doesn't involve people doing something silly like creating a sign language or doing genetics. The Guru is not making eye contact with anyone in particular; she's simply saying "I count at least one blue-eyed person on this island who isn't me."

And lastly, the answer is not "no one leaves."
wags83

Riddles

Postby wags83 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:52 pm

kyle wrote:Source of the post This one broke our brains for a long time. GET READY

A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

There are no mirrors or reflecting surfaces, nothing dumb. It is not a trick question, and the answer is logical. It doesn't depend on tricky wording or anyone lying or guessing, and it doesn't involve people doing something silly like creating a sign language or doing genetics. The Guru is not making eye contact with anyone in particular; she's simply saying "I count at least one blue-eyed person on this island who isn't me."

I had to look that one up, no way was I getting that on my own.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Riddles

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I don't have the brain power to even finish reading that one right now
kyle

Riddles

Postby kyle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
kyle wrote:Source of the post This one broke our brains for a long time. GET READY

I had to look that one up, no way was I getting that on my own.

My friends and I had to really talk it through and took many stabs at it before we finally sort of figured it out mostly...

Then we looked it up lol. It's a crazy good riddle and i encourage everyone to try to brain it out!
SleepyChimera

Riddles

Postby SleepyChimera » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:03 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island

ugh I had to look that up. I suspected it was something like that. Though I did wonder if they islanders were able to show each other their counts. If they could compare, they could start to deductively reason it out. I mean if I have 1 green, 100 brown, and 99 blue on my count, and I know my partner has blue eyes.... and my partner has a count of 1 green, 100 brown, and 99 blue, than deductively, I could determine that we are counting the same green and brown eyed people because partner has blue eyes. If they had brown, their count would be 1 green 99 brown, 99 blue. but its not. Thus I could determine that I have blue eyes ..... I think?
kyle

Riddles

Postby kyle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:25 pm

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island

ugh I had to look that up. I suspected it was something like that. Though I did wonder if they islanders were able to show each other their counts. If they could compare, they could start to deductively reason it out. I mean if I have 1 green, 100 brown, and 99 blue on my count, and I know my partner has blue eyes.... and my partner has a count of 1 green, 100 brown, and 99 blue, than deductively, I could determine that we are counting the same green and brown eyed people because partner has blue eyes. If they had brown, their count would be 1 green 99 brown, 99 blue. but its not. Thus I could determine that I have blue eyes ..... I think?

Interesting concept! The only thing is it explicitly states that the islanders have no way of communicating with eachother :P
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Riddles

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:28 pm

I was going to post this one awhile back, but it was a lot of reading, so I didnt. It's a cool one
bmyoungs

Riddles

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:45 pm

kyle wrote:This one broke our brains for a long time. GET READY

Had to look that one up. Never would have gotten it.
SleepyChimera

Riddles

Postby SleepyChimera » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 am

Five hundred begins it, five hundred ends it, Five in the middle is seen; First of all figures, the first of all letters, Take up their stations between. Join all together, and then you will bring Before you the name of an eminent king. Who am I?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Riddles

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 am

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post Five hundred begins it, five hundred ends it, Five in the middle is seen; First of all figures, the first of all letters, Take up their stations between. Join all together, and then you will bring Before you the name of an eminent king. Who am I?

► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Riddles

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 am

Wilkins is smart! I read this a couple of times and had no idea where to even begin.
SleepyChimera

Riddles

Postby SleepyChimera » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wilkins is smart! I read this a couple of times and had no idea where to even begin.

Honestly I didn't know it either until I saw the answer.

But I also feel like this is relevant too:
:dumbtim:

Return to “Off Topic”