Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Exercise equipment and working out

Talk about anything.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 pm

I've started using the gym at work during my morning break. Been doing it for a little over a week. Nothing super intense because I don't want to be all sweaty and gross but I've noticed it gives me a good energy boost for the day.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 pm

wags83 wrote:I've started using the gym at work during my morning break. Been doing it for a little over a week. Nothing super intense because I don't want to be all sweaty and gross but I've noticed it gives me a good energy boost for the day.

That's always been my problem with running or working out during lunch, I dont want to have to shower and take even longer. I'm picturing you bench pressing in dress clothes and trying not to sweat
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:I've started using the gym at work during my morning break. Been doing it for a little over a week. Nothing super intense because I don't want to be all sweaty and gross but I've noticed it gives me a good energy boost for the day.

That's always been my problem with running or working out during lunch, I dont want to have to shower and take even longer. I'm picturing you bench pressing in dress clothes and trying not to sweat

Haha that's kind of what it is. I usually do some quick upper body stuff or just go on the elliptical for a bit. I only have 15 minutes.
Fawlty
On Probation

Postby Fawlty » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:37 am

My very favorite is working out in the morning but when (young) kids enter the picture that kind of goes out the window. These days I am fortunate enough to have a work environment that allows me to take 90-minute lunch breaks 2 or 3 times per week without comment. #endunhelpfulbrag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 am

Note: The program begins with the requirement of being able to perform 6 pull-ups. For reference, if your chest doesn’t touch the bar, it’s not counted. All pull-ups need to be performed from a dead hang with feet off the floor.

Easier said than done! But I am getting better at pull-ups. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then start the program. Thanks Kyle!
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:22 am

Tyler wrote:

Note: The program begins with the requirement of being able to perform 6 pull-ups. For reference, if your chest doesn’t touch the bar, it’s not counted. All pull-ups need to be performed from a dead hang with feet off the floor.

Easier said than done! But I am getting better at pull-ups. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then start the program. Thanks Kyle!

This is cool, I may look into this. Tyler, have you done clean and jerks before?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:33 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post This is cool, I may look into this. Tyler, have you done clean and jerks before?

I took an Olympic weight lifting class at UNI as an elective. It didn't focus on the amount of weight, but the proper technique. Do I remember that technique or how to translate it to kettlebells? No.

I'll continue my current routine and maybe get into some of these more advanced routines eventually. I made that schedule with reps earlier in this thread and haven't been following it at all. For these first couple of weeks I have been jumping between:
-body weight squats
-pull ups
-chin ups
-sit ups on my new bench
-push ups
-walking lunges
-planks
-calf extensions thingers on a step
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:39 am

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post This is cool, I may look into this. Tyler, have you done clean and jerks before?

I took an Olympic weight lifting class at UNI as an elective. It didn't focus on the amount of weight, but the proper technique. Do I remember that technique or how to translate it to kettlebells? No.

I'll continue my current routine and maybe get into some of these more advanced routines eventually. I made that schedule with reps earlier in this thread and haven't been following it at all. For these first couple of weeks I have been jumping between:
-body weight squats
-pull ups
-chin ups
-sit ups on my new bench
-push ups
-walking lunges
-planks

Nice, I wish I had taken the Olympic weightlifting class at UNI! That sounds like a fun class
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post

Werd! I'm going to try that program because I suck yet at pull ups to chest.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post

-body weight squats
-pull ups
-chin ups
-sit ups on my new bench
-push ups
-walking lunges
-planks

do I think it is better then going to gym?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Note: The program begins with the requirement of being able to perform 6 pull-ups. For reference, if your chest doesn’t touch the bar, it’s not counted. All pull-ups need to be performed from a dead hang with feet off the floor.

Guys....this is really hard.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:13 pm

How many can you get right now?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

RE: Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:29 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:How many can you get right now?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hanging completely straight, feet not touching the ground and going all the way down between reps.
7 pull ups
6 chin ups
Donomoto

Postby Donomoto » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Hanging completely straight, feet not touching the ground and going all the way down between rips.

Haha... between RIPs. Your joke wasn't lost on me!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 am

Donomoto wrote:Source of the post Haha... between RIPs. Your joke wasn't lost on me!

That was 100% a typo because of my phone. I don't even get the joke I didn't make.
Donomoto

Postby Donomoto » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:35 am

Something about how working out kills you...
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 am

I bought a fancy $10 speed jump rope this week. I don't think I'll have room to do it in the garage unless I move out a car. I can't wait to embarrass the wife by doing this in the driveway.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Tyler wrote:I bought a fancy $10 speed jump rope this week. I don't think I'll have room to do it in the garage unless I move out a car. I can't wait to embarrass the wife by doing this in the driveway.

This might help:

https://youtu.be/kAmDOTsp5cs
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:23 am

My new work allows you to earn points and get money off your health insurance premium. An easy way to do this is to log steps. I was using an app on my phone but I didn't think it was tracking very accurately so I dug out the Fitbit that I received as a gift last year from work. I thought it was funny when it counted my hour of push mowing as riding a bike. I'm guessing it could sense I was moving but could also tell my arms weren't swinging - something that happens when you ride a bike.

Tracking my sleep over the past couple of nights has also been interesting. Not sure I will do anything useful with this data, but it's neat seeing how much sleep you got and what time you woke up to a crying kid.

Return to “Off Topic”