Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Exercise equipment and working out

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I do basically zero exercise and would like to change that. We have a treadmill that Jocelyn uses multiple times a week, but I do nothing. I liked lifting weights in college at the gym, but haven't done any weight lifting for like 5 years. Wilkins wants me to join his gym, but I would rather do something at home vs wasting time driving to and from a gym.

I'm thinking about getting the Bowflex Selecttech weights and a bench

Does anyone else have any equipment at home they like? I would keep this in the garage and try to use it 3 times a week or so. A concern is none of this will really work out the legs. I guess I could do squats while holding the weights?
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 pm

Tyler wrote:I do basically zero exercise and would like to change that. We have a treadmill that Jocelyn uses multiple times a week, but I do nothing. I liked lifting weights in college at the gym, but haven't done any weight lifting for like 5 years. Wilkins wants me to join his gym, but I would rather do something at home vs wasting time driving to and from a gym.

I'm thinking about getting the Bowflex Selecttech weights and a bench

Does anyone else have any equipment at home they like? I would keep this in the garage and try to use it 3 times a week or so. A concern is none of this will really work out the legs. I guess I could do squats while holding the weights?

If you can, get a pull-up bar too and get p90x2 or p90x3.

In addition to the weights and bench you'll have all the equipment you need (besides a yoga mat).

I've done all the p90x programs and I really like them. They are tough, but if you follow the program properly you will see results.

Also - if you do end up going with p90x, don't skip the yoga, or the recovery workouts. They are actually the most important ones in my opinion.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I do absolutely nothing. I have also heard from many people that p90x is excellent
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:26 pm

I've lost interest in what I have been doing recently so maybe I'll try p90x since we'll have a house and not have neighbors below us to complain about shuffling around, exercising, etc.

I'd also like to start running outside when it is warm regularly over the next month or so.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:32 pm

I did a couple weeks of p90x but lost interest because of the time commitment. I have even less free time now so a 60+ minute workout every day is out of the question.
I want to be able to lift some weights for like 30 minutes every other day and call it good.

Another silly compliant about p90x is how boring I found it. I am sure once you memorize the workouts you can tune out more and listen to something, but it was so boring to only be watching/listening to that dude for so long. I need to trick myself into working out by listening to podcasts or having a show on.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Tyler wrote:I did a couple weeks of p90x but lost interest because of the time commitment. I have even less free time now so a 60+ minute workout every day is out of the question.
I want to be able to lift some weights for like 30 minutes every other day and call it good.

Another silly compliant about p90x is how boring I found it. I am sure once you memorize the workouts you can tune out more and listen to something, but it was so boring to only be watching/listening to that dude for so long. I need to trick myself into working out by listening to podcasts or having a show on.

P90x3 workouts are only 30 minutes long.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Erin has a couple exercise things at home but nothing weight training related. I go to 9Round and it's actually pretty fun and makes me work harder than when I would just do my own thing at a regular gym. I would like to do more weight training stuff and have been telling myself that I'll start going to the gym at work for that but I haven't done so yet. I try to get out and bike when its nice and I'm sure I'll begrudgingly do some running outside soon so that I don't embarrass myself at the company 5K.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:30 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post . I go to 9Round and it's actually pretty fun

I didnt know you were doing kickboxing! That sounds like a lot of fun.

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post P90x3 workouts are only 30 minutes long.

Good to know. I will check that one out! Is it weight training? From what I remember the first p90 was all resistant bands.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 pm

I clearly don't need cardio/weight-loss workouts, that's why I thought the Bowflex dumbbells would be a good investment.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I didnt know you were doing kickboxing! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to get motivated to do this than it was to go do my own thing at the gym. Plus it's only about a half hour each time so doesn't take long.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:23 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I didnt know you were doing kickboxing! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to get motivated to do this than it was to go do my own thing at the gym. Plus it's only about a half hour each time so doesn't take long.

Are you past the promo period? What is the normal cost per month?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 pm

I did a one year deal when they had their black Friday special. So it will go to regular rate next fall which I think is $80. We'll reevaluate then and see if we can get a new deal.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:32 am

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:Source of the post . I go to 9Round and it's actually pretty fun

I didnt know you were doing kickboxing! That sounds like a lot of fun.

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post P90x3 workouts are only 30 minutes long.

Good to know. I will check that one out! Is it weight training? From what I remember the first p90 was all resistant bands.

It's a combination of cardio, resistance training, and flexibility/recovery. You'll have plenty of opportunities to use the dumbbells. Resistance bands are only used in p90x or p90x2 (I don't remember which one) and only suggested as an alternative to dumbbells in p90x3.

P90x3 will make you stronger, more athletic, improve your flexibility and your cardiovascular fitness.

I'm not being paid for this endorsement
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:27 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post It's a combination of cardio, resistance training, and flexibility/recovery. You'll have plenty of opportunities to use the dumbbells. Resistance bands are only used in p90x or p90x2 (I don't remember which one) and only suggested as an alternative to dumbbells in p90x3.

P90x3 will make you stronger, more athletic, improve your flexibility and your cardiovascular fitness.

Haha. Thanks. I'll give it a try if I ever end up ordering the dumbbells. I am sure I can get a chinup bar hung up in the garage no problem.
Does p90x3 need a bench like the one I posted?
Erin

Postby Erin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am

My sister bought me a bosu ball last year for my birthday. I like using that to challenge my balance for body-weight exercises (plank, push-ups, squats). Good for the core

9Round is awesome! I'm more of a moderate-paced distance runner, so I like having this HIIT style workout to get my speed up.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:19 am

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post It's a combination of cardio, resistance training, and flexibility/recovery. You'll have plenty of opportunities to use the dumbbells. Resistance bands are only used in p90x or p90x2 (I don't remember which one) and only suggested as an alternative to dumbbells in p90x3.

Haha. Thanks. I'll give it a try if I ever end up ordering the dumbbells. I am sure I can get a chinup bar hung up in the garage no problem.
Does p90x3 need a bench like the one I posted?

A lot of the exercises will require a "chair." In my opinion a bench is a great (if not better) substitute.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:10 am

Glass do body weight workout.. instead of all this equipment. there are alot of workouts out there, about half the time a week im doing body weight moves

if anything get a pull up bar.

also if you workout for 30 mins most days then that should be plenty.
Donomoto

Postby Donomoto » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:40 am

A body weight exercise to start is great for two reasons:
1.) It doesn't take that long, so you can get into the habit of working out however many times a week that you want (Making it a habit to work out is the BIGGEST part of starting a workout. It doesn't really matter what you do to begin, you just have to keep it up).
2.) After several weeks of the beginning workout, you can easily transition to many other workouts without being completely destroyed. They have an advanced body weight routine, or you can move into weights (I think 5x5 Strong Lifts is a good place to continue).

Here's the one I did, and although it doesn't sound like a lot, it kicked my butt. My only suggestion would be to add in pull-ups.
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginn ... ld-muscle/
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:57 am

Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post Glass do body weight workout

Donomoto wrote:Source of the post A body weight exercise to start is great

But...but....I have no body weight to use to my advantage
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:37 am

Tyler wrote:
Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post Glass do body weight workout

Donomoto wrote:Source of the post A body weight exercise to start is great

But...but....I have no body weight to use to my advantage

Sit back have a beer and call it a day then?

Return to “Off Topic”