Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Exercise equipment and working out

Talk about anything.
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 2602
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post This is a common misconception that women have about lifting weights. Just because you are working your muscles with resistance does not mean you'll start looking "swole" like a bodybuilder.


To add on, I had a friend who used to say she couldn't go to the gym for exactly this reason. I told her that it was ridiculous that she thinks she is going to get jacked as hell on accident, when so many people can't do it on purpose.
User avatar
Kath525
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:53 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Kath525 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:
Kath525 wrote:Source of the post work outs that focus on toning and strength (as opposed to getting swol)

This is a common misconception that women have about lifting weights. Just because you are working your muscles with resistance does not mean you'll start looking "swole" like a bodybuilder.

The truth is, your form of exercise alone will not do enough to dramatically affect your muscle growth. It takes a significant change in diet to build muscle to the size that most would consider bodybuilder-esque.
http://www.shape.com/fitness/tips/5-rea ... e-you-bulk
.


For sure! I guess what I meant to say was I'm doing resistance workouts that use my body weight and basically just dumbbells when I'm doing a more intense work out as opposed to straight up lifting. I used to lift 4 times a week and I agree- I never got huge. I like these workouts because I'm getting good cardio and resistance in one and I can do them at home with little or no equipment and get the same (sometimes better) results then when I lift at the gym.

I'll post a few work outs when I do them if anyone wants to try them. I use an app but all you really need is a timer set to 7 minutes and the routine!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Kath525
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:53 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Kath525 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:
To add on, I had a friend who used to say she couldn't go to the gym for exactly this reason. I told her that it was ridiculous that she thinks she is going to get jacked as hell on accident, when so many people can't do it on purpose.



For sure! Honestly when I first started I was trying to build a little and it was really hard. I ended up gaining fat instead of muscle because I ate too much protein and didn't burn enough calories. Protein turns to fat if it isn't burned or used to recover muscles. I have a hard time eating veggies which has always been my down fall.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 22761
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Protein turns to fat if it isn't burned or used to recover muscles

I wish! My body has a different way to handle extra protein.
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 2602
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Protein turns to fat if it isn't burned or used to recover muscles

I wish! My body has a different way to handle extra protein.


Gross.
User avatar
ejhartman91
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:12 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:03 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Protein turns to fat if it isn't burned or used to recover muscles

I wish! My body has a different way to handle extra protein.


Gross.

I was gonna say I expect Tyler to be bodybuilder swole next time I see him.
User avatar
CrckrJack
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:17 am
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I wish! My body has a different way to handle extra protein.

lol
User avatar
CrckrJack
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:17 am
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:04 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post I was gonna say I expect Tyler to be bodybuilder swole next time I see him.

If tyler put on any muscle he would look huge
User avatar
Huss Buss
Top Contributor
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Huss Buss » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post
Kath525 wrote:Source of the post work outs that focus on toning and strength (as opposed to getting swol)

This is a common misconception that women have about lifting weights. Just because you are working your muscles with resistance does not mean you'll start looking "swole" like a bodybuilder.

The truth is, your form of exercise alone will not do enough to dramatically affect your muscle growth. It takes a significant change in diet to build muscle to the size that most would consider bodybuilder-esque.
http://www.shape.com/fitness/tips/5-rea ... e-you-bulk

It sucks because if more women would see past this myth they could be more efficient in the gym. Resistance training gives you so much more than cardio alone.


werd
User avatar
Huss Buss
Top Contributor
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Huss Buss » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Day 3 of wedding work outs and I skipped so I'm off to a good start

You mean we could have been playing VR sooner?!

Guys hate leg day and would rather do arm. Are girls the opposite?
What program are you doing?


I prefer leg day over arm... just really like to do squats
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 22761
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post I prefer leg day over arm... just really like to do squats

Hi ladies, my name's Kyle. I play football and I can squat a quarter ton pig
User avatar
Huss Buss
Top Contributor
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Huss Buss » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post I prefer leg day over arm... just really like to do squats

Hi ladies, my name's Kyle. I play football and I can squat a quarter ton pig


hahahaha...so a good pickup line.

i can't squat that much anymore though :(
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 22761
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Wow...you're so weak! But to be fair you're 100lb lighter now vs when you squated 500lb
User avatar
Huss Buss
Top Contributor
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm
Contact:

Exercise equipment and working out

Postby Huss Buss » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:06 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wow...you're so weak! But to be fair you're 100lb lighter now vs when you squated 500lb


correct i did lose some muscle when i lost weight. i can lift 350 for reps. yet.

Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest