Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Automation

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:I think I'm just going to get a nest hello doorbell and that should be sufficient for me external camera needs. Figuring out how to wire those outdoor cameras sounds like too much work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You mean this?
Nest Hello Smart Wi-Fi HD Video Doorbell w/ Night Vision $182.75
Yes. The only problem for me right now is that my doorbell is currently installed on a wall that is perpendicular to the door. I'm not sure how easy it would be to move it or if I'll need to do something else to make it work.

Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:06 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Yes. The only problem for me right now is that my doorbell is currently installed on a wall that is perpendicular to the door. I'm not sure how easy it would be to move it or if I'll need to do something else to make it work.

Tylersucks has this same problem on the doorbell he installed last week. He is going to try shimming it out a little bit to see more of the yard. I told him to just install mirrors across from it
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Yes. The only problem for me right now is that my doorbell is currently installed on a wall that is perpendicular to the door. I'm not sure how easy it would be to move it or if I'll need to do something else to make it work.

Tylersucks has this same problem on the doorbell he installed last week. He is going to try shimming it out a little bit to see more of the yard.

Ring makes a kit for this problem: https://shop.ring.com/collections/acces ... 6549548683
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post Ring makes a kit for this problem

Too bad he has a chinese knockoff doorbell
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post Ring makes a kit for this problem: https://shop.ring.com/collections/acces ... 6549548683

Hmm...only goes to 45 degrees? I think I would need 90...
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Just contacted Nest support via chat. The guy told me the install kit comes with a wedge that gives it 15 degree tilt. I'm still not convinced that will be enough...
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:41 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Just contacted Nest support via chat. The guy told me the install kit comes with a wedge that gives it 15 degree tilt. I'm still not convinced that will be enough...

Get out your high school protractor and hold your phone at 15% outside and take a pic to test it out. It would be pretty easy to build a wedge out of wood if needed to get you higher.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Get out your high school protractor and hold your phone at 15% outside and take a pic to test it out. It would be pretty easy to build a wedge out of wood if needed to get you higher.

You think it would be feasible to just move the doorbell wiring?
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:47 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post You think it would be feasible to just move the doorbell wiring?

Would need to see a picture. I imagine you can splice onto it if needed and find a way to tuck in the wires. I'm curious how the existing doorbell looks now as well and if it would look odd with it missing from the current spot.
tylersucks

Home Automation

Postby tylersucks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:04 pm

son of a gun. Here I've been trying to figure out how I was gonna get some shims behind there to angle mine. I just bought this. Hope it works for my Chinese knock off
https://www.amazon.com/ADJUSTABLE-Doorb ... B076KRKV8Y
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Keep in mind the doorbells have a very wide angled lens on them so you'd see a lot with 45º tilt
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:08 pm

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post son of a gun. Here I've been trying to figure out how I was gonna get some shims behind there to angle mine. I just bought this. Hope it works for my Chinese knock off

Lol at this picture!

tylersucks

Home Automation

Postby tylersucks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:08 pm

I would have to change out some siding if i moved my bell wiring. Got a few screw holes and wire holes where my original was
Here is my current view
tylersucks

Home Automation

Postby tylersucks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post
tylersucks wrote:Source of the post son of a gun. Here I've been trying to figure out how I was gonna get some shims behind there to angle mine. I just bought this. Hope it works for my Chinese knock off

Lol at this picture!

Oh yeah, she looks cute! She might want to be careful if she is out in the sun too long though!
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:18 pm

When I had my first gen Ring, I had the wedge kit to angle it down to reduce motion alerts from the street. Now with the Ring Pro, it is much easier to select where I care about motion (the two zones are treated the same. I just have two zones so I could make it more exact):

tylersucks

Home Automation

Postby tylersucks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post When I had my first gen ring, I had the wedge kit to angle it down to reduce motion alerts from the street. Now with the Ring Pro, it is much easier to select where I care about motion:

Thats pretty slick actually. What if the person ninja crawls in from the yard though?
tylersucks

Home Automation

Postby tylersucks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm

She must go thru a lot of door bells. hahaha
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:31 pm

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post
Corey wrote:Source of the post When I had my first gen ring, I had the wedge kit to angle it down to reduce motion alerts from the street. Now with the Ring Pro, it is much easier to select where I care about motion:

Thats pretty slick actually. What if the person ninja crawls in from the yard though?

Then they deserve to have the package!
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 pm

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post Thats pretty slick actually. What if the person ninja crawls in from the yard though?

The red also sets it off, I had the same question when he showed me that

LOLZZZ at the stock picture. That doorbell looks HUGE compared to a Ring.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Got the nest protect I bought from woot sellout last week installed this past weekend. Thanks again for the heads up Tyler. Install was pretty easy. Now still looking for a deal on the nest hello doorbell.

Return to “Off Topic”