Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Automation

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed May 09, 2018 9:36 am

cwilkins88 wrote:
I haven't turned on my air yet though this year.

I'm cheap and like saving money, but Ive always been okay splurging a little bit on AC. Worth $25 a month not to sweat at night in bed.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:53 am

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:.

Hello deal
Thanks! Would have jumped on it but I still have to check to make sure my existing doorbell is compatible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:22 am

I can now turn on my tv/sound bar by saying "Okay Google, turn on the tv". After that I need to still use a remote, so basically pointless.

I have 2 smart outlets coming today. If I have time I want to set up Evie's room to turn on her night light/sound machine
Tyler
Owner

Re: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:46 pm

A lot of smart home progress this week for me.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Tyler wrote:I can now turn on my tv/sound bar by saying "Okay Google, turn on the tv". After that I need to still use a remote, so basically pointless.

I have 2 smart outlets coming today. If I have time I want to set up Evie's room to turn on her night light/sound machine
I miss having my old harmony that had a backlight. Impossible to see the buttons on this in the dark.
bmyoungs

Home Automation

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks tylersucks for finding me the nests!

I need to remove the Roku from the Google app as it's too limited for my wants, I'll just go back to using harmony for voice commands.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
tylersucks

Home Automation

Postby tylersucks » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Thanks tylersucks for finding me the nests!

I need to remove the Roku from the Google app as it's too limited for my wants, I'll just go back to using harmony for voice commands.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sure thing. I had to fight a toddler for them at Wal-Mart.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:31 pm

With all the devices people have, does anyone have a dedicated SSID for all of their smart home toys? I have a router and an AP now. I could turn the Wifi back on the router and use one of the bands just for smart home things. Idk if it would gain me anything other than make me feel better

I think this is where a triband router would come in handy.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:49 pm

I set this up today. Fire 10 HD and custom 3D printed mount. Running Action Tiles with my Samsung SmartThings. Added my Wyze cams via Android VM running TinyCamPro
wags83

Home Automation

Postby wags83 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 pm

You're a phony! That's Corey's!
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:23 pm

that's badass!
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:01 am

I have a couple more smart plugs coming today so I can control the Christmas tree via voice and timer. I've been reading you should have all IoT devices on a separate guest network so they don't have access to your main home network. I think I will start moving all of my switches, cameras, and Google Homes onto a 2.4ghz guest network
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Tyler wrote:I think I will start moving all of my switches, cameras, and Google Homes onto a 2.4ghz guest network

Got everything but Wyze moved over to an IoT guest Network. Wyze requires you going through the setup process again, which means I need a ladder for the outdoor ones.
bmyoungs

Home Automation

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 am

That's not a bad idea. I'm too lazy to do that though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:47 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I think I will start moving all of my switches, cameras, and Google Homes onto a 2.4ghz guest network

I've been thinking about doing this as well.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:55 am

bmyoungs wrote:That's not a bad idea. I'm too lazy to do that though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It took longer than it should through the Google Home app. Wish you could change all devices at once. Had to forget each one, then re-add and pick the new network.
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:38 pm

So far I've got the following for "smart home"

Alexa Show 2nd gen in kitchen, Alexa Spot in bedroom, Alexa Dot 3rd gen in basement, Alexa 2nd gen in kids room

I have Phillips Hue bulbs in our bedroom lamp, kid's bedroom lamp, and living room lamp. I also have colored Hue bulbs in the recessed lighting upstairs. Working on finishing basement in the next year and will add all Hue lights down there

Ring 2 doorbell with chime

Smart plug for the Christmas tree right now

I returned my Nest 3rd gen. Loved it so much but had issues. Worked for 3 weeks and then I got an E73 and E74 error (no power to thermostat) Spoke with tech for 3-4 hours and they couldn't figure it out. Had to get HVAC guy out and he said the Nest kept blowing the fuse every time is was connected. He had no idea why. Back to old thermostat but may try the Ecobee and see if that works

Wyze cam inside

Eventually want to get smart lock for front door. Any suggestions on brands? And then additional outdoor security cameras

And then I have IFTTT setup for quite a few Hue lights stuff
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I have a couple more smart plugs coming today so I can control the Christmas tree via voice and timer. I've been reading you should have all IoT devices on a separate guest network so they don't have access to your main home network. I think I will start moving all of my switches, cameras, and Google Homes onto a 2.4ghz guest network

I did that as well
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:00 pm

I need to stay ahead of Blake in # of devices so I added a Bond Home Ceiling Fan controller. All 4 of my ceiling fans are controlled by RF remotes so this one device can control all the fans and the lights on them which is pretty neat.
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:09 pm

blake wrote:Source of the post So far I've got the following for "smart home"

Alexa Show 2nd gen in kitchen, Alexa Spot in bedroom, Alexa Dot 3rd gen in basement, Alexa 2nd gen in kids room

I have Phillips Hue bulbs in our bedroom lamp, kid's bedroom lamp, and living room lamp. I also have colored Hue bulbs in the recessed lighting upstairs. Working on finishing basement in the next year and will add all Hue lights down there

Ring 2 doorbell with chime

Smart plug for the Christmas tree right now

I returned my Nest 3rd gen. Loved it so much but had issues. Worked for 3 weeks and then I got an E73 and E74 error (no power to thermostat) Spoke with tech for 3-4 hours and they couldn't figure it out. Had to get HVAC guy out and he said the Nest kept blowing the fuse every time is was connected. He had no idea why. Back to old thermostat but may try the Ecobee and see if that works

Wyze cam inside

Eventually want to get smart lock for front door. Any suggestions on brands? And then additional outdoor security cameras

And then I have IFTTT setup for quite a few Hue lights stuff

Is Hue the only Hub you have or do you have SmartThings/Wink/etc? That will determine what type of smart lock you can have. I have a Schlage Connect but this is Zwave and requires a hub.

Return to “Off Topic”