Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Automation

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue May 01, 2018 4:59 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Got the nest protect I bought from woot sellout last week installed this past weekend. Thanks again for the heads up Tyler. Install was pretty easy. Now still looking for a deal on the nest hello doorbell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The doorbell is on Slickdeals all the time. I feel like I've shared it with you when it was $180ish
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Tue May 01, 2018 9:00 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Got the nest protect I bought from woot sellout last week installed this past weekend. Thanks again for the heads up Tyler. Install was pretty easy. Now still looking for a deal on the nest hello doorbell.

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/385483
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Corey wrote:

Saw that one, but there were some questionable comments about the vendor and I've never heard of them...

Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Tue May 01, 2018 9:17 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:
Corey wrote:

Saw that one, but there were some questionable comments about the vendor and I've never heard of them...

Theres no more trustworthy vendor than them! /s
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Roll the dice, that's what credit card protection is for.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 am

ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:06 am

Tyler wrote:Nest has temp sensors now
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/03/nes ... le-for-39/
Already got one. Overnight shipping from nest.com was free. Set it up yesterday. So far haven't needed to use heat or A/C so I can't comment on how useful it is yet.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 03, 2018 8:56 am

ejhartman91 wrote:
Already got one. Overnight shipping from nest.com was free. Set it up yesterday. So far haven't needed to use heat or A/C so I can't comment on how useful it is yet.

What does it do exactly? I didn't read the link before posting. Haha

Place it upstairs and Nest will take the average temp of living room and upstairs when deciding to turn on?
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:

What does it do exactly? I didn't read the link before posting. Haha

Place it upstairs and Nest will take the average temp of living room and upstairs when deciding to turn on?
Something like that. I was under the impression that it will help if you have one or more rooms that are always significantly warmer or cooler than the rest of your house. Probably more useful for us in the winter than the summer but we'll see.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 03, 2018 9:48 am

But it's not like the nest can send extra air to that room. So if one bedroom is always 5 degrees colder, does the rest of the house have to be set 5 degrees hotter to counter it?
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Thu May 03, 2018 9:55 am

I don't like the Nest version because of that reason. At least with the Ecobee remote sensors, they have presence sensors as well so it can decide which areas to keep at the desired temps.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 am

Corey wrote:I don't like the Nest version because of that reason. At least with the Ecobee remote sensors, they have presence sensors as well so it can decide which areas to keep at the desired temps.
That still doesn't make sense to me unless those rooms had control of the airflow. Maybe I'm not fully understanding something, but knowing the temp of my bedroom really doesn't matter because I don't want the rest of the house heated/cooled different just so one room is what I want.

However, I do manually adjust the vent openings throughout the year to get my rooms consistent. I have a thermometer in my bedroom I use for this, this Nest thing would replace that thermometer, but not be as easy to use.
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Thu May 03, 2018 11:37 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Corey wrote:I don't like the Nest version because of that reason. At least with the Ecobee remote sensors, they have presence sensors as well so it can decide which areas to keep at the desired temps.
That still doesn't make sense to me unless those rooms had control of the airflow. Maybe I'm not fully understanding something, but knowing the temp of my bedroom really doesn't matter because I don't want the rest of the house heated/cooled different just so one room is what I want.

However, I do manually adjust the vent openings throughout the year to get my rooms consistent. I have a thermometer in my bedroom I use for this, this Nest thing would replace that thermometer, but not be as easy to use.

It would do things like heat your bedroom to the proper temperature and ignore the rest of the house if you are in there at night. You are downstairs all night and don't care if the upstairs where the thermostat is at shows it as being hotter than you want it.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 am

Tyler wrote:

I think it's more about finding a happy medium.

Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Thu May 03, 2018 12:16 pm

I think Glass is in the market for some smart vents!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks dudes for explaining all that.

Smart vents seem like a great idea. It's why I want my next house to be a ranch. It's hard to keep the temp consistent across all floors. I bet it's 10 degrees difference between basement and bedrooms
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Thu May 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks dudes for explaining all that.

Smart vents seem like a great idea. It's why I want my next house to be a ranch. It's hard to keep the temp consistent across all floors. I bet it's 10 degrees difference between basement and bedrooms

My downstairs is currently 9º colder than the upstairs but I don't have AC/heat running.
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Sun May 06, 2018 3:32 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:.

Hello deal
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed May 09, 2018 6:56 am

During the winter I set a manual schedule and controlled exactly when/how hot the Nest got. I turned off all "smart" schedule features other than it detecting when the house was empty it should go to Eco mode. For the summer I have been trying to let it learn my schedule, but I think the AC is running a lot more than it needs to be while Nest figures things out.

Wilkins, do you set a manual schedule or let Nest figure it out?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Home Automation

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wilkins, do you set a manual schedule or let Nest figure it out?

When I first started, I did a minor manually schedule, but then working from home almost mucked it up, so then I just let it figure it out.

I haven't turned on my air yet though this year.

Return to “Off Topic”