Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Automation

Talk about anything.
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post
blake wrote:Source of the post So far I've got the following for "smart home"

Alexa Show 2nd gen in kitchen, Alexa Spot in bedroom, Alexa Dot 3rd gen in basement, Alexa 2nd gen in kids room

I have Phillips Hue bulbs in our bedroom lamp, kid's bedroom lamp, and living room lamp. I also have colored Hue bulbs in the recessed lighting upstairs. Working on finishing basement in the next year and will add all Hue lights down there

Ring 2 doorbell with chime

Smart plug for the Christmas tree right now

I returned my Nest 3rd gen. Loved it so much but had issues. Worked for 3 weeks and then I got an E73 and E74 error (no power to thermostat) Spoke with tech for 3-4 hours and they couldn't figure it out. Had to get HVAC guy out and he said the Nest kept blowing the fuse every time is was connected. He had no idea why. Back to old thermostat but may try the Ecobee and see if that works

Wyze cam inside

Eventually want to get smart lock for front door. Any suggestions on brands? And then additional outdoor security cameras

And then I have IFTTT setup for quite a few Hue lights stuff

Is Hue the only Hub you have or do you have SmartThings/Wink/etc? That will determine what type of smart lock you can have. I have a Schlage Connect but this is Zwave and requires a hub.

Correct, Hue is the only Hub.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post I have a Schlage Connect but this is Zwave and requires a hub.

I have the Schlage 'Sense' version. It does NOT require a hub because the lock itself is bluetooth only. In order to connect it to your network you have to buy a separate wireless adapter which I have. I went that route because I didn't want to get a "smart hub" for just one device. The rest of the smart home devices I have (aside from the Hue lights) don't require hubs.
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:26 pm

See below for my ActionTiles setup (tablet on the wall).

Main panel with shortcuts to the other panels in the upper right:

Lights/Fans:

Thermostat:

Sensors:

Cameras:
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:27 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post
Corey wrote:Source of the post I have a Schlage Connect but this is Zwave and requires a hub.

I have the Schlage 'Sense' version. It does NOT require a hub because the lock itself is bluetooth only. In order to connect it to your network you have to buy a separate wireless adapter which I have. I went that route because I didn't want to get a "smart hub" for just one device. The rest of the smart home devices I have (aside from the Hue lights) don't require hubs.

ok awesome thank you
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post See below for my ActionTiles setup (tablet on the wall).

Main panel with shortcuts to the other panels in the upper right:

Lights/Fans:

Thermostat:

Sensors:

Cameras:

you win. that's so awesome
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:13 pm

blake wrote:Source of the post ok awesome thank you

I will note that I only went with the Schlage because I wanted to replace our locks (we bought the house almost 3 years ago and I felt we should replace the locks that were originally installed just to be safe). If you don't need to replace your lock(s) I would look into the August Smart lock. It has lots of positive reviews.
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:15 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post
blake wrote:Source of the post ok awesome thank you

I will note that I only went with the Schlage because I wanted to replace our locks (we bought the house almost 3 years ago and I felt we should replace the locks that were originally installed just to be safe). If you don't need to replace your lock(s) I would look into the August Smart lock. It has lots of positive reviews.

Ok will do. Thanks for all the info
Tyler
Owner

Re: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:46 pm

You guys are the coolest people I know.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Blake why are you an echo family and not Google? Because you have an iPhone you aren't loyal to Google?
bmyoungs

Home Automation

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:40 pm

I now have 6 Google homes and 2 nests but noting close to what you 3 have. Discovered I couldn't cheaply do smart light switches, and don't really want to deal with just lights. I could get smart outlets but it doesn't really solve any problems or make anything easier since most of our lights are on switched outlets anyways. It's an annoying home for smart features. Guess I'll just have to buy a new house.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:47 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Guess I'll just have to buy a new house.

Once we are in the new.house I would like to slowly start adding up to Corey's setup. Seems like I need a Samsung SmartThings if I want to use an actiontiles tablet like him. I wish Google would step up and connect all the dots to this stuff.

Buy a hub and then start adding light switches I guess?

Every time I look at Corey's pictures I notice more gadgets. You have a smart shed. You have window sensors on windows you have probably never opened ever. How much are those door sensors usually? How long do the batteries last and how do you charge/replace?
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Home Automation

Postby Corey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:01 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Guess I'll just have to buy a new house.

Once we are in the new.house I would like to slowly start adding up to Corey's setup. Seems like I need a Samsung SmartThings if I want to use an actiontiles tablet like him. I wish Google would step up and connect all the dots to this stuff.

Buy a hub and then start adding light switches I guess?

Every time I look at Corey's pictures I notice more gadgets. You have a smart shed. You have window sensors on windows you have probably never opened ever. How much are those door sensors usually? How long do the batteries last and how do you charge/replace?
The window sensors for the most part are cheap $8 ones from China. It's nice having window sensors on the windows so that it can notify me if windows are left open when the AC is on or there is rain in the forecast. It'll also notify me if anything opens when we aren't home.

I haven't changed my batteries in anything other than the door lock in almost 2 years.

Using Google and WiFi stuff is fine for voice control but that's not really home automation in my opinion. Getting a hub allows you a lot more control in automating when specific things happen which is what I like to set up. Zwave and zigbee are also a lot more reliable as they create a mesh network so the more items you have, the more reliable everything is.
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Blake why are you an echo family and not Google? Because you have an iPhone you aren't loyal to Google?

No reason at all. Just got an Alexa for my birthday and kept going with that
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Does anyone have the Phillips Hue Lightstrip Plus? I've been looking at getting it to replace some shoddy under-cabinet lighting that the previous owner of our house installed and was wondering if anyone has any experience using the hue lightstrip.
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:59 pm

I want to be like Corey. I had him get me a Samsung SmartThings kit and some extra sensors. I'll phase out my outlets that use a 3rd party app probably too.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tyler wrote:I think I will start moving all of my switches, cameras, and Google Homes onto a 2.4ghz guest network

Got everything but Wyze moved over to an IoT guest Network. Wyze requires you going through the setup process again, which means I need a ladder for the outdoor ones.
Ok so I got a new router and I'm trying this now (half drunk, admittedly) but if all your smart home devices are on a different network than your phone, how do you cast to Google devices? It doesn't seem to work for me with the separate networks...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:46 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Ok so I got a new router and I'm trying this now (half drunk, admittedly) but if all your smart home devices are on a different network than your phone, how do you cast to Google devices? It doesn't seem to work for me with the separate networks...

If I were to redo it, I would keep all Google devices on main network and only put things like the Wyze Cams, Chinese smart outlet, etc on the guest network. I couldn't access my Google Homes on the guest network so I had to "allow guest network intranet access" or something, which defeats the purpose of using a guest network. Everything is a little cleaner since they are on their own SSID, but it really didn't solve any security problems.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:59 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I had to "allow guest network intranet access" or something

I don't think my router has this option. Although I've just been using the Android app to configure it thus far. Tonight I'll try the config web page.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 am

The PC configuration page for mine has way more settings/options than the app.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 am

Ordered the water main robot lever and more smart thing sensors that were on slick deals. I'm well on my way to be Corey.

Return to “Off Topic”