Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Automation

Talk about anything.
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey, can I put a door sensor on Evie's bedroom and then have it trigger a Google Home to say "Get back in bed Evie" once it detects the door opening between the hours of 8pm-7am?

Evie left her room 5 times last night. It was a long night.

There are hacky ways to do this. I tried a solution and it broke after I rebooted my computer (where the software was running) and I could never get it working again. Get an Alexa device for her room and it will be super simple to do.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am

That's lame Echo can do it easily but not Google Assistant. Step up your game Google!
Corey
Site Admin

Home Automation

Postby Corey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post That's lame Echo can do it easily but not Google Assistant. Step up your game Google!

The Fire tablets also work with it so you can mess with that and stash it somewhere out of reach.
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am

had prior issues with my Nest. Finally replaced with an Ecobee 4. Also purchased more Hue bulbs
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm

blake wrote:had prior issues with my Nest. Finally replaced with an Ecobee 4. Also purchased more Hue bulbs
Nooooo!!! Nest for life!!
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Glass, did you set up your Nest with SmartThings? It's not officially supported but the community has some neat stuff around them.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Re: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:14 pm

Corey wrote:Glass, did you set up your Nest with SmartThings? It's not officially supported but the community has some neat stuff around them.
Ask me next week when we are moved in and I can start playing around with smart home things.
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
blake wrote:had prior issues with my Nest. Finally replaced with an Ecobee 4. Also purchased more Hue bulbs

Love my nest and like it better than my Ecobee but had that major issue and their customer service pissed me off beyond belief
bmyoungs

Home Automation

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:35 pm

blake wrote:

Love my nest and like it better than my Ecobee but had that major issue and their customer service pissed me off beyond belief
What major issue?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
blake

Home Automation

Postby blake » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post
blake wrote:

What major issue?

Had it installed for 3 weeks. Had no issues and it worked great. And then suddenly on a weekend I got an E73 error (no power to thermostat). Spoke with tech for 3-4 hours and said I had everything hooked up correctly etc and tried blaming my HVAC system for the issue (house is a year old) Had to call HVAC guy the next day as I had no clue and tech had no clue. HVAC guy said the Nest kept blowing a fuse when it was connected so he hooked up the old thermostat and zero issues.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 am

That's weird. Sucks you had that problem. I need to hook up the nest still at the new place.

I did hook up the water main robot arm and a few leak sensors. Also a motion sensor that turns on a lamp. Have 6 more leak sensors to place around the house and open/close sensors
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 pm

I have a few apps now....
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am

My garage has a "dumb" motion sensor light switch. It's nice having the bright lights turn on automatically when the garage door opens or when you step into the garage. Not sure why I didn't think to do something like this before. Not as fancy as controlling it via an app, but it does make a nice difference. I might put one in the back toy room too
link
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Speaking of non-IoT switches. This is near my front door to control the 4 outside lights. Kind of cool to have them on a schedule that can be set by the day. Would be easier to do in an app maybe, but I see no need to replace this.

Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:08 am

The water sensors/water main shutoff is the "coolest" home automation I have, but the thing that is used the most is the toddler alarm.
If Evie opens her door between the hours of 7:30pm - 7am my bedside lamp turns on, or the lamp in the basement turns off. I have the lamp on a motion detector to turn on when we are down there, so if the lamp in the basement turns off while we are watching TV it means Evie left her bedroom. We usually don't even bother with the monitor now since the lightbulb alerts us.

None of this would work for a kid in a crib of course. Evie usually leaves her bed to go tinkle or look for a snack. So when the lamp turns off downstairs I get on the Wyze app to see if she's heading to the bathroom, kitchen, or basement to find us. She still needs a little help pulling up her pull-up, so it's a nice way to give her independence but still be available if she needs help.

The nightstand light one is nice so we don't wake up when a dark figure 2 inches from our face.
bmyoungs

Home Automation

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Tyler wrote:The water sensors/water main shutoff is the "coolest" home automation I have, but the thing that is used the most is the toddler alarm.
If Evie opens her door between the hours of 7:30pm - 7am my bedside lamp turns on, or the lamp in the basement turns off. I have the lamp on a motion detector to turn on when we are down there, so if the lamp in the basement turns off while we are watching TV it means Evie left her bedroom. We usually don't even bother with the monitor now since the lightbulb alerts us.

None of this would work for a kid in a crib of course. Evie usually leaves her bed to go tinkle or look for a snack. So when the lamp turns off downstairs I get on the Wyze app to see if she's heading to the bathroom, kitchen, or basement to find us. She still needs a little help pulling up her pull-up, so it's a nice way to give her independence but still be available if she needs help.

The nightstand light one is nice so we don't wake up when a dark figure 2 inches from our face.
That's a really cool feature I can get behind. We will be moving Marshall to a real bed as soon as we work up the courage and I'd totally do this instead of having wyze alert us to movement.

Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Source of the post We will be moving Marshall to a real bed as soon as we work up the courage[/quote]
We only get her a twin bed because of moving, she would still be in the open crib if we lived in the old house. I'm not even sure why we took the wall off the crib, because she was perfectly happy in the crib and never tried climbing out. I think we did it just because she was over 3 and we felt weird about it. She didn't ask or anything.

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I'd totally do this instead of having wyze alert us to movement.

So many alerts! I have Wyze shut off for notifications because anything will trigger it, including a toddler rolling over or sneezing. [quote="bmyoungs"]
bmyoungs

Home Automation

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Yes the alerts are so bad. It's actually not helpful because I don't check when they happen since there are so many.

Only reason we may move Marshall is he's getting too big for the crib

Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:34 pm

I got my smart garage door working. It was left in the house and I was trying to pair the garage opener itself, but I had to pair the hub. I paired the opener with the open sensor I have mounted on the garage. I will see if my automation works when I get home tomorrow.

I also get another zigbee plugin outlet because I had some connection issues out there before. Not sure if it was the cold or range. Plan on plugging the outlet out there to act as a repeater. It is dumb how much I spent on the plugin. Basically half the price of the whole kit.
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Home Automation

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Tyler wrote:I got my smart garage door working. It was left in the house and I was trying to pair the garage opener itself, but I had to pair the hub. I paired the opener with the open sensor I have mounted on the garage. I will see if my automation works when I get home tomorrow.

I also get another zigbee plugin outlet because I had some connection issues out there before. Not sure if it was the cold or range. Plan on plugging the outlet out there to act as a repeater. It is dumb how much I spent on the plugin. Basically half the price of the whole kit.
What are you using for your presence? Smartthings or life360?

Return to “Off Topic”