Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Automation

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:06 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post What are you using for your presence? Smartthings or life360?

Smartthings. We will see how it goes tomorrow. I am of course using the new app, not classic. I have it set when my phone is home to open the garage. I assume home = when my pixel connects to the wifi. I don't see a setting in the app to clarify what exactly "home" means.
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Home Automation

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:47 pm

Tyler wrote:
Corey wrote:Source of the post What are you using for your presence? Smartthings or life360?

Smartthings. We will see how it goes tomorrow. I am of course using the new app, not classic. I have it set when my phone is home to open the garage. I assume home = when my pixel connects to the wifi. I don't see a setting in the app to clarify what exactly "home" means.
It uses your location. Just use life360 instead. You already have that and it works way way better than the smartthings
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:08 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post It uses your location. Just use life360 instead. You already have that and it works way way better than the smartthings

Of course Life360 requires the classic app...as did adding my garagedoor smartapp.

I find the new app easier to create automation and the classic app never would trigger my water main to close when moisture was detected. I will play around with the classic app more and maybe delete the new, but for now I will keep both.

Usually when I do something in one app it will reflect it on the other, but my open garage door rule did not do that yesterday. I only see it on New app
Tyler
Owner

Re: Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm

When I got home my location didn't go to Home until o opened the app, maybe I need to expand my home bubble on Life360?

Once I was home the app showed opening, but the door didn't actually open. It did once I hit the device button though. A lot to play around with
Tyler
Owner

Home Automation

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Those that care already know, but I got my garage door to open automatically based on my phone's location. It's not life changing, but is nice since I didn't have an opener in my car.

I think the next automation step is for me to start replacing light switches...but there are so many in my house and smart switches are expensive. Not to mention I have a few 3 way and even 4 way switches.
ejhartman91

Home Automation

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Those that care already know, but I got my garage door to open automatically based on my phone's location. It's not life changing, but is nice since I didn't have an opener in my car.

I think the next automation step is for me to start replacing light switches...but there are so many in my house and smart switches are expensive. Not to mention I have a few 3 way and even 4 way switches.

Good luck. I have two smart switches I bought months ago to hook up our fireplace so we could use voice commands to turn it on. The plan was supposed to be to do that before winter started so we could enjoy it all winter...
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Lol. If I had them bought they would be in right away. Need to wait for a zigbee or zwave switch sale and I'll order tons of them
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm

I got a sengled colored bulb because it's zigbee and doesn't need another hub. It's officially supported in SmartThings app, but it shows as unavailable after being plugged in just a few minutes. I've reset it 5 times now. May be returning to Amazon, unless Reddit is helpful tomorrow.

Return to “Off Topic”