Page 3 of 6

Re: Home Automation

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 pm
by Corey
Seems like a decent deal but:

Image

Home Automation

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 pm
by Tyler
Corey wrote:Source of the post eems like a decent deal but:

That doesn't turn me off at all.

Con:
-Not a new hardware design

Pro:
-Cheaper price
-Better firmware
-New app
-Different cloud storage

Home Automation

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 am
by Tyler
I ordered one to play around with. $26 after shipping.

Home Automation

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:24 am
by Tyler
Corey, have you ordered?

Amazon Key is a new service that lets couriers unlock your front door
You’ll need a smart lock and Amazon’s new Cloud Cam

Home Automation

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 am
by ejhartman91
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey, have you ordered?

Amazon Key is a new service that lets couriers unlock your front door
You’ll need a smart lock and Amazon’s new Cloud Cam

Not Corey, but this is interesting. I know it's not available in Des Moines yet. I did throw in a vaild zip (90210) just to see how much it would be. The price varies based on the lock you choose (there are like 3 or 4 models that are supported). Looks like the camera alone is about $140.

I do want to replace our deadbolt. I was looking at "connected" options. The best option seems to be the August smart lock, which doesn't actually replace your deadbolt. So now I'm looking to buy a new deadbolt AND a smart lock to go with it.

Re: Home Automation

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:01 pm
by Tyler
You and Corey are getting so deep into this rabbit hole!

Unless you have had packages stolen off of your front steps before I don't think this lock is necessary. Or just send all your stuff to your work address.

Home Automation

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:05 pm
by ejhartman91
Tyler wrote:You and Corey are getting so deep into this rabbit hole!

Unless you have had packages stolen off of your front steps before I don't think this lock is necessary. Or just send all your stuff to your work address.
I am thinking about getting the nest hello when it comes out in 2018.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Home Automation

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:11 pm
by wags83
According to an article I read, it is about $250 for the kit.
Edit: And I just realized the article you posted also says that. I should read more than just headlines.

Home Automation

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 pm
by wags83

Home Automation

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:06 pm
by Tyler

Home Automation

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:07 pm
by wags83
Obviously, yes.

Re: Home Automation

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 am
by Tyler
Corey, you may have convinced me. I washed my comforter today and it caused my washer to overflow and I'm now mopping up water. Would your water sensors have caught this right away? Does it send a notification or what? Im guessing it was only doing this for a few minutes so maybe it wouldn't have helped that much.

Re: RE: Re: Home Automation

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:01 pm
by Corey
Tyler wrote:Corey, you may have convinced me. I washed my comforter today and it caused my washer to overflow and I'm now mopping up water. Would your water sensors have caught this right away? Does it send a notification or what? Im guessing it was only doing this for a few minutes so maybe it wouldn't have helped that much.
The sensor is behind the washing machine so the sensor would have caught it when water got to it. It'd then send a notification and turn off the water main so it would stop right there. You'd put the water sensor at the low point that water would accumulate.

Re: Home Automation

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am
by Tyler
Saving all the energy with my new Nest! I'm sure it helps that yesterday was pretty warm outside.

I wish I knew what the energy hours were before getting the nest and running a schedule. Image

Home Automation

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:43 am
by Blue Jackets

Re: RE: Home Automation

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:04 am
by Tyler
Another move to help Amazon get packages inside your house?
Move the storage to AWS and drop the subscription cost?!

Home Automation

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 am
by Blue Jackets

Home Automation

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:42 pm
by Tyler

Home Automation

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:44 pm
by ejhartman91
I think I'm just going to get a nest hello doorbell and that should be sufficient for me external camera needs. Figuring out how to wire those outdoor cameras sounds like too much work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Home Automation

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:51 pm
by Tyler
ejhartman91 wrote:I think I'm just going to get a nest hello doorbell and that should be sufficient for me external camera needs. Figuring out how to wire those outdoor cameras sounds like too much work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You mean this?
Nest Hello Smart Wi-Fi HD Video Doorbell w/ Night Vision $182.75