Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Ticks

Talk about anything.
blake

Ticks

Postby blake » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 am

What's the best way to avoid ticks from being attracted to you?

Went to this Aboretum area in town last year with the family and hiked around. Got home and I had a tick attached to my upper leg.

Went last night to quickly do a family picture in the same area. Was there for less than an hour.

Get home, one daughter has a tick in her shoe. The other had one in her hair

Without avoiding the outdoors, is there any spray or trick you guys use?
Tyler
Owner

Ticks

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:51 am

I don't mind (non-poisonous) snakes or mice, but ticks can die. I get so paranoid when walking around in tall grass. I'm so grateful for my buzzcut hair when it comes with ticks.

There are tick replant sprays, but I have no idea if they actually work. Ticks don't run around looking for people, they just sit on blades of grass and wait for something to walk by that they can attach to. It's not like a spray is going to prevent a tick from brushing against a pant leg. Maybe the point of the spray is for the tick not to like you when it lands? I could Google...but nah.

Best advice. Buzz all the hair off the girls' body.

Tylersucks has some pretty horrible tick stories. Maybe he would share, but NSFW.
blake

Ticks

Postby blake » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:13 am

Lets hear the stories!

And makes sense... last night we were in some taller grass for photos
wags83

Ticks

Postby wags83 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Yeah ticks suck. Don't go into the long grass!
blake

Ticks

Postby blake » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:31 pm

but the pictures turn out so pretty in there! haha
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Ticks

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:50 pm

wags83 wrote:Yeah ticks suck. Don't go into the long grass!

Haha I get it!
Tag

Ticks

Postby Tag » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:07 am

lol there is no such thing as a poisonous snake Ty
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tag

Ticks

Postby Tag » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:10 am

when i use to have to clean out corn cribs there would be tons of mice, had to tuck pants into socks so mice don't run up your leg, which theyll totes do.

animals in general dont bother me, unless in my house, then it magnifies it.

Exception: Snakes. I am absolutely terrified of any/all snakes. I think its the ability to move so fast without legs that freaks me out. I am deathly afraid of them.
-Tag

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
bmyoungs

Ticks

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 am

I've had to dig a tick out of the back of my leg with a knife. By no means should you actually do that, but it was dug in a bit and I wasn't thinking about the safest way to remove it just the quickest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Ticks

Postby Tyler » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:46 am

Tag wrote:Source of the post lol there is no such thing as a poisonous snake Ty

Venomous*
Tag

Ticks

Postby Tag » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:41 am

bmyoungs wrote:I've had to dig a tick out of the back of my leg with a knife. By no means should you actually do that, but it was dug in a bit and I wasn't thinking about the safest way to remove it just the quickest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

we use to use a lighter and burn them off. also im sure not smart
-Tag

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Ticks

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I came back from a cabin trip three years ago and tons of ticks were on my dog. We went over her and got like 9 off, but we would find attached least 3 per day for almost two weeks. I never slept, I always thought they were crawling all over.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Ticks

Postby Tyler » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:34 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:I came back from a cabin trip three years ago and tons of ticks were on my dog. We went over her and got like 9 off, but we would find attached least 3 per day for almost two weeks. I never slept, I always thought they were crawling all over.

They still are!!!!
blake

Ticks

Postby blake » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am

Tag wrote:Source of the post when i use to have to clean out corn cribs there would be tons of mice, had to tuck pants into socks so mice don't run up your leg, which theyll totes do.

animals in general dont bother me, unless in my house, then it magnifies it.

Exception: Snakes. I am absolutely terrified of any/all snakes. I think its the ability to move so fast without legs that freaks me out. I am deathly afraid of them.

Have you seen any in TX yet?
blake

Ticks

Postby blake » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I came back from a cabin trip three years ago and tons of ticks were on my dog. We went over her and got like 9 off, but we would find attached least 3 per day for almost two weeks. I never slept, I always thought they were crawling all over.

omg
SleepyChimera

Ticks

Postby SleepyChimera » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:39 am

So question. What happens if you remove said vampirebug of disgusting-ness but don't get the "Head". I was told you have to make sure to remove it, but I never knew what the "threat" was if you don't.
Tyler
Owner

Ticks

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 am

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post So question. What happens if you remove said vampirebug of disgusting-ness but don't get the "Head". I was told you have to make sure to remove it, but I never knew what the "threat" was if you don't.

TickBuster

Myth: A tick can still transmit disease if the head breaks off in the skin.
We can't even express how many times we've heard this one! Although you ideally want to remove the entire parasite (who wants to think about a tick's mouthparts remaining in your pet's skin?), if you don't happen to get the whole tick out, that's OK. Once the body has been removed, the tick can no longer transmit disease. If the head does remain in your pet's skin, it may cause temporary, minor inflammation. The head should eventually fall out on its own; you can use a warm compress on the area to help speed up the process.

Myth: Ticks should be removed using a lit match
Instead, ticks should be gently pulled from the skin with tweezers
SleepyChimera

Ticks

Postby SleepyChimera » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post if you don't happen to get the whole tick out, that's OK

Good to know! I know I've had to pull a few off the new puppers, and my bf is very very squick'd out by them so it's always my job. I consider it an even trade for his killing of spiders and rescuing me of anything insect-like that flies and makes a buzzy noise. If only because my job only happens a few times a year.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Instead, ticks should be gently pulled from the skin with tweezers

I kind of just carefully place the tweezers and then yank like a bandaid... if I did it slow and accidently started to burst it, I'd lose my gumption lol

Return to “Off Topic”