Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Ballpit ball launcher

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 am

Evie has a few hundred of these

Ever since we got her the pit I've been wanting to make some kind of air machine gun to launch them. I've looked around a few times for the perfect pipe, but I learned from my spudgun days that the infamous 2.5" tennis ball barrel is impossible to find unless you special order (which I did for the spudgun). I was at Menards recently and discovered they sell conduit in 2.5". I figured this would be okay to use for the ball cannon because it wouldn't be under any real pressure like the spudgun was. Since my dad was here over the weekend with the pickup I was able to get a 10' piece home.

Here is what I have so far. The thing is very heavy. The "magazine" slides forward/backwards along the barrel and latches into place and the balls drop into the barrel. The first ball shoots fine, but the other balls go up through the magazine. Adam Savage had the same issue with his ping pong cannon below. I think I will try dropping a heavy weight in the magazine on top of all the balls vs what Savage does in his video. I had the slanted T from a different project so I went with that instead of a 90 degree one. I'm not sure if I like it more or less for the magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HfaLqmRO1k
Tyler
Owner

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 am

For those that haven't seen it. I build this 8 years ago. It was terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkhaFWL5Mc
SleepyChimera

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby SleepyChimera » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 am

... That video makes me want to load up some of the sword blanks we have in your spudgun.... haha
Tyler
Owner

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 am

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post ... That video makes me want to load up some of the sword blanks we have in your spudgun.... haha

That sounds awesome, but luckily the cannon has been retired. I think...I actually don't know where it is. A friend borrowed it and I never got it back. The least I knew it was being painted with "MOAB" on it
SleepyChimera

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby SleepyChimera » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post The least I knew it was being painted with "MOAB" on it

omg... I'm not sure whether to laugh or be partially ashamed of my country lmao. (I've also determined I laugh to cope with the shame of my country... lol)
blake

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby blake » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post ... That video makes me want to load up some of the sword blanks we have in your spudgun.... haha

That sounds awesome, but luckily the cannon has been retired. I think...I actually don't know where it is. A friend borrowed it and I never got it back. The least I knew it was being painted with "MOAB" on it

Lol @ MOAB
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:02 am

Well I know where it isn't. Adam got rid of it. I think he cut it up so random people wouldn't take it out of the dumpster at work... stuff like that happens a lot.
purple_hayes

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 am

Dude, that's crazy... interesting you want to shoot ballpit balls. Well done Tyler.
Tyler
Owner

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Adam got rid of it. I think he cut it up so random people wouldn't take it out of the dumpster at work

I am 100% okay with this. I couldn't live with myself if I knew some kid took this out of a dumpster.
bmyoungs

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 am

Oh fun times were had, it's pretty amazing none of us died or got injured in our shenanigans. Minus Wagner burning his legs off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
wags83

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:45 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Oh fun times were had, it's pretty amazing none of us died or got injured in our shenanigans. Minus Wagner burning his legs off.

I did almost get my legs blown off a different time too, when Hunter threw a dry ice bomb that bounced instead of exploding and then exploded and destroyed a garbage can about 5 feet away from me.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ballpit ball launcher

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Oh yeah. That would have been awful. What was be thinking?! Other than murder.
bmyoungs

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 am

wags83 wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Oh fun times were had, it's pretty amazing none of us died or got injured in our shenanigans. Minus Wagner burning his legs off.

I did almost get my legs blown off a different time too, when Hunter threw a dry ice bomb that bounced instead of exploding and then exploded and destroyed a garbage can about 5 feet away from me.

Oh yeah that was pretty bad. You should insure your legs
wags83

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby wags83 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:51 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:

Oh yeah that was pretty bad. You should insure your legs

The premiums would be too high with my history.
Tyler
Owner

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post The premiums would be too high with my history.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comm ... t=J0YR7MSW

What job exists because we are stupid ?

I work in a burn unit.
Don't put accelerants on a camp/bonfire.
Don't go back into a burning house/vehicle/airplane
Don't put accelerants on bonfires. This includes aerosol cans of stuff. Those blow up.
Don't make meth unless you have an advanced degree in the field.
Don't put accelerants on bonfires. Even if it "Just won't light."
Don't let your pot handles hang over the edge of the stove where your kid can reach.
Don't put accelerants on bonfires, even if you've "been doing it for years."
Don't pick up containers of flaming grease and oil.
Don't put accelerants on bonfires. Diesel is an accelerant.
Don't keep electric cigarettes in your pocket.
If you wear oxygen, don't smoke with it on/in your lap.
Don't burn trash. You don't know whats in there. Probably accellerants.
DON'T. PUT. ACCELERANTS. ON. YOUR. FIRE.
wags83

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby wags83 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 am

We didn't put it ON the fire. We put it on the burn pile and then lit it.
Tyler
Owner

Ballpit ball launcher

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 am

Tested this out last night but didn't get a video because Jocelyn was so embarrassed the neighbors were watching and judging us.

It worked, but not as well as I was hoping. When I turned it on about 10 balls all shot out at once and then a second passed and then another batch. I was hoping for a more controlled stream. I dropped a weight down the magazine to stop the balls from blowing out, but then that wrench ended up being shot out. I think switching to a traditional T piece would fix all my problems, and then just drill a hole for a stick to pull out when I want the balls to drop straight down. Problem is they don't sell 2.5" T's anywhere.

As for the distance. The balls only went about 15-20 feet. I think they are too light to get any real pressure behind them.

I doubt I go back to this project, but at least I gave it a try. In the meantime I put the tubes in the house and Evie just likes dropping the balls down them and watching them come out the other side.

Return to “Off Topic”