Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Deck maintenance/refinishing

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:35 am

wags83 wrote:My parents' deck is composite and I don't think they've done any maintenance on it since building it 15 years ago. Would be nice to have maintenance free.

I've heard from some people with composite that the only thing you need to do Maintenance wise is clean off mold and spray it off now and then.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:27 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:
wags83 wrote:My parents' deck is composite and I don't think they've done any maintenance on it since building it 15 years ago. Would be nice to have maintenance free.

I've heard from some people with composite that the only thing you need to do Maintenance wise is clean off mold and spray it off now and then.

That sounds like a lot of work. Does any material need less maintenance?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:49 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post
ejhartman91 wrote:

That sounds like a lot of work. Does any material need less maintenance?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Depending on where you are, mold may not be a problem. It would be worse for damper, more shaded areas. If your deck gets plenty of sun consistently, you shouldn't have that problem. Spraying it off is also probably only necessary if it hasn't rained recently and/or you're a neat freak.

Basically, it's not any work unless you fall under certain circumstances.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:50 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Depending on where you are, mold may not be a problem

I'm 99% sure bmyoungs was just messing with you. It was nice of you to answer him honestly though.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:53 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm 99% sure bmyoungs was just messing with you. It was nice of you to answer him honestly though.

Maybe I was messing with him when I said he'd have to do anything for maintenance in the first place ;)
Fawlty
On Probation

Postby Fawlty » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 am

wags83 wrote:Moved into our new house this past weekend. We have a deck off the back patio that is fairly worn and looks like the wood is all dried out and could potentially start chipping. I was wondering if anyone has and experience with restoring/refinishing a deck. I've looked at a few products and see a lot of varying reviews. I was looking into the Behr Deckover stuff that I see advertised and it seems like most of the reviews are 1 start saying that it chips away after about a year.

Anybody do anything similar with their deck?

I came to this thread hoping to contribute something or at least sympathize. Then I saw a depth and rigor in the replies that would shame most thesis papers.

Today I am humbled.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 am

Wags, going to have this done in time for your party next month?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:27 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wags, going to have this done in time for your party next month?

After looking into it, I don't think the deck is bad enough to need it immediately. This might be a next summer project.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post After looking into it, I don't think the deck is bad enough to need it immediately. This might be a next summer project.

Spoken like a true homeowner!

Going to get your bar done instead?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post After looking into it, I don't think the deck is bad enough to need it immediately. This might be a next summer project.

Spoken like a true homeowner!

Going to get your bar done instead?

Possibly. A friend of mine gave me a bunch of boards from her grandparents' barn that was torn down. I'm gonna clean those up and see what I have for footage. If nothing else it'll be good for framing it.

Return to “Off Topic”