Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Deck maintenance/refinishing

Talk about anything.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:25 am

Moved into our new house this past weekend. We have a deck off the back patio that is fairly worn and looks like the wood is all dried out and could potentially start chipping. I was wondering if anyone has and experience with restoring/refinishing a deck. I've looked at a few products and see a lot of varying reviews. I was looking into the Behr Deckover stuff that I see advertised and it seems like most of the reviews are 1 start saying that it chips away after about a year.

Anybody do anything similar with their deck?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 am

This was my life last summer. Our deck needed restained or painted the summer we moved in, but I put it off for a year.

Check out this thread where I asked the same question on Reddit. Went with this product:
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeow ... s/finishes

Do you think you need to replace the boards? Pics of current deck! Do you have access to a powerwasher? Do you want to paint or stain?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:41 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Do you think you need to replace the boards?

I'm not sure yet, I haven't had a chance to really inspect it but I'm hoping not.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Do you have access to a powerwasher?

I don't have one myself but I guess I have access to places that rent them
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Do you want to paint or stain?

I'm leaning toward stain because I think that will look nicer but really whatever is going to be better for my deck's condition.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:44 am

It depends on how bad it is. I stained decks ever summer throughout high school. To do it right, here's the process we took:

1. Power wash. I'd advise getting a real powerful power washer (the most powerful ones are gas powered). Borrow from someone who has one or rent one from a hardware store if you can. Not having enough power means you won't get all the gunk/residue off, which will affect the wood's ability to absorb the stain/paint you use. You'll want to wait at least 24 hours after power washing before you do anything else.

2. Sand. Yes - go buy a bunch of those sanding sponges or use a power sander. This is a critical step most people skip. It improves the texture of the wood and it's ability to absorb stain. It can also smooth out any rough spots that were caused during power washing.

3. Mask/prep. You can do a little or a lot of masking. The more you mask, the less you have to clean up. If you're using oil based stain, you'll want to mask a lot, and have some mineral spirits on you to get the stain off yourself, your siding/house, and pretty much anything else you splash it on (it's a thin liquid, so you will splash it a lot).

3. Stain. We always used oil based stains from Sherwin Williams. The guy I worked for always said a good oil based stain is all you need. All those products sold to "seal or protect" usually end up damaging the wood or reducing the life of it. You'll especially want to avoid "solid" or water-based/acrylic stains. They don't last and when they start to wear off it looks terrible. Those are the ones that are more 'paint-like' and come in pretty much any color you could want. Oil based stains are always some form of brown, natural wood color.

I'm not familiar with Behr deckover. I did a google search for it and it looks like a form of solid stain, which would explain the poor reviews. I'd avoid it and opt for something more like this: http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/w ... wood-stain
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:44 am

I went with a "solid stain", but it is basically paint. Really only took 1 heavy coat and then I spot touched up the areas that needed more attention. Since it's a paint and not a stain it is prone to scratching, but I think it will be easier to maintain than stain. You can't really "touch up" stain but you can with paint. Also pro for the paint is you don't need to worry about getting the deck PERFECTLY removed of the old stuff. I did a dark color so it covered up the old stuff that the power washer couldnt get.

Biggest PITA for me were the spindles. That took 60% of the time. It didn't help that I had to be on a ladder to reach them. Under the deck (where the walkout basement is) was also painful, but I assume you wouldn't have to worry about doing under the deck.

I spent an entire weekend powerwashing/sanding (15+ hours) an the following weekend painting (20+ hours).
This would be reduced assuming your deck is on ground level.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:48 am

Good informative post Ethan! Was that a fun summer job for a teenager? You probably had the best tan out of all your friends.

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post I'm not familiar with Behr deckover. I did a google search for it and it looks like a form of solid stain, which would explain the poor reviews.

Like I said in my post, it's silly they call these products "solid stain", wouldn't that just make it paint?

I'm happy with the solid stain offered by Sherwin Williams for the reasons above.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 am

I don't have a good pic of just the deck right now but here's one I took last night that you can kind of see its condition. Image
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:52 am

Hartman's steps are basically what I've seen online. I was hoping there was an easier way because that sounds like a ton of work, but I also want to do it right.

As far as under the deck ours is only 2 steps off the ground so I won't be going under it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:57 am

Nice, you bought some chairs for your SlickDeals table!

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I was hoping there was an easier way because that sounds like a ton of work, but I also want to do it right.

You're getting off easy! No steps, no underside, limited spindles, big floor (easiest part by far). This is going to be a cakewalk. From the picture the deck looks to be in good shape too.

Look into these sanders if you're going to use the real stain. If you do the solid stain you could probably scrimp on some of the sanding and just cake it on thick (ejhartman will disagree).

Portable belt

Random Orbit Sander - super cheap and I've been very impressed with it on my projects.

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Power wash. I'd advise getting a real powerful power washer (the most powerful ones are gas powered).

This. I borrowed Cwilkins electric powerwasher and had to borrow Tylersucks's gas instead. The electric one is perfect for cleaning cars or cleaning house/deck, but it didn't have the power to actually remove that much material.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:08 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Good informative post Ethan! Was that a fun summer job for a teenager? You probably had the best tan out of all your friends.
Yeah I enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved being able to work outside. We did exterior and interior painting and deck staining. I could do an entire deck by myself but when it came to painting a house I just did power-washing, masking/prep, and trim painting. I got very comfortable being on roofs and climbing ladders (I'm positive we violated every OSHA rule when it comes to ladder safety). And yes I got a lot of sun because I convinced my boss to let me go shirtless when it was really hot out.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Biggest PITA for me were the spindles. That took 60% of the time.
This is true about 95% of decks I've done. The floor is easy if you have a roller. This is also why I love that our deck has black metal/non-wood spindles.
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I was hoping there was an easier way because that sounds like a ton of work, but I also want to do it right.
Doing it right is a lot of work, but if you take the time to do it, you will really like of how it turns out. The best pieces of advice I can give you are to be thorough with your sanding and do plenty of masking/prep. Also, don't use painter's tape. It's overpriced and masking tape almost always holds up just fine, if not better.

Your deck looks like it's in pretty decent shape, it shouldn't be a terrible job.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post This. I borrowed Cwilkins electric powerwasher and had to borrow Tylersucks's gas instead. The electric one is perfect for cleaning cars or cleaning house/deck, but it didn't have the power to actually remove that much material.
Yeah. The best ones can break skin easily. And be careful, they can tear up your wood too.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 pm

I wish we could just re finish our deck, but the previous owners basically left it untouched for 10 years so the wood is starting to rot. Sarah's dad is going to help us replace it this summer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Deck maintenance/refinishing

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:56 pm

bmyoungs wrote:I wish we could just re finish our deck, but the previous owners basically left it untouched for 10 years so the wood is starting to rot. Sarah's dad is going to help us replace it this summer.

Replace with wood or composite. Tylersucks just redid his 2.5 year old as composite when he increased the footprint by 150%
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:25 am

Composite

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:17 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Composite

Fancy!

You were up in the middle of the night. Marshall not sleeping?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:46 am

Tyler wrote:

Fancy!

He has started this lovely thing where he lightly wakes up, sits up in his crib while trying to get comfortable, and suddenly is wide awake.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:47 am

Tyler wrote:

Fancy!

It's a pretty small deck so it won't be a huge project.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 am

My parents' deck is composite and I don't think they've done any maintenance on it since building it 15 years ago. Would be nice to have maintenance free.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:51 am

wags83 wrote:My parents' deck is composite and I don't think they've done any maintenance on it since building it 15 years ago. Would be nice to have maintenance free.

Yeah that's the goal and to put a gate on the stairs so I don't fall down them
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:My parents' deck is composite and I don't think they've done any maintenance on it since building it 15 years ago. Would be nice to have maintenance free.

Yeah that's the goal and to put a gate on the stairs so I don't fall down them

Smart. You don't get a nickname like "Tumblin' Brad" for nothing.

Return to “Off Topic”