Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Talk about anything.
CrckrJack

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Has anyone seen these chromecast ultras? I think i would be interested in getting one if i had a 4k tv. Since i keep seeing ads for the ultra I thought for a microsecond about looking into 4k tvs, but I just have absolutely no reason to get one. If any of you remember i got a 60" Samsung for 730 off of amazon 3 years ago "used" from amazon. I'm sure there have probably been 4k deals for around that price, but there's no reason for me to spend that much on a new tv. i imagine we will get a new one when ours literally won't work anymore, and even at that point we will hold out for a slickdeal.

It seems like more and more providers are getting 4k content, but I don't see any need to make the jump to 4k anytime soon. Anyone on here have a 4k tv?
wags83

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm in a similar boat, I would love to get a new TV (more for a larger size vs 4k content), but I have no reason to do that while we still have 3 completely functional TVs already. None of them are 4k.
bmyoungs

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:30 pm

I always keep my eyes out for a slick deal on a TV I want. I doubt I'd replace my Roku 2 until there is enough 4k content to warrant it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: 4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm

If I was doing a 4k box I would do a Roku over Chromecast. Having a real remote vs a phone app is make or break for me.

Content is improving for 4K, but not enough to replace my existing 60" 1080p. Netflix original are available for an extra $2 a month, but that's not worth the price of a tv.

It is amazing watching them come down in price. If you're in the market for a TV you might as well do 4K.

Data caps are going to have to change if all streaming goes to that resolution.
CrckrJack

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post If I was doing a 4k box I would do a Roku over Chromecast

I've never really looked into the roku because I always shrugged it off as "why would i get this when i have a chromecast?". I guess if i was looking at getting the chromecast ultra i should look into the roku. I have had a few connection issues with my current chromecast, which is a bummer so a roku might be the better option...
Tyler
Owner

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I've never really looked into the roku because I always shrugged it off as "why would i get this when i have a chromecast?". I guess if i was looking at getting the chromecast ultra i should look into the roku. I have had a few connection issues with my current chromecast, which is a bummer so a roku might be the better option...

Chromecast made sense when it was half the cost of a Roku, but the cheapest Roku is actually cheaper than a Chromecast now, and the 4k Roku is the same price I think?

It's a huge selling point to be able to use my Logitech programmable remote with the Roku. I would rather not have to dig out/find my phone to start/stop things, plus you need a remote out anyways for TV power/volume. It's nice having all that with one remote. It's also more convenient to use the "home" button on the remote to go to Plex, DTV, Sling, etc vs having to use those separate apps.
*Watch Roku* on remote - turns TV on, HDMI 1, soundbar on, Roku home screen
*Play Steam* on remote - turns TV on, HDMI 2, Steam Link On.
CrckrJack

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:29 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post *Watch Roku* on remote - turns TV on, HDMI 1, soundbar on, Roku home screen
*Play Steam* on remote - turns TV on, HDMI 2, Steam Link On.

Fancy
CrckrJack

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Double whammy: Vizio and refurb 589.99

https://slickdeals.net/f/10231164-vizio ... 2_33834184
Tyler
Owner

4k tvs/Chromecast Ultra

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:28 pm

No HDR, I think that is something you want?
120Hz isn't bad though, I was expecting 60hz

Return to “Off Topic”