Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Gluten-Free/Health Food Thread

Talk about anything.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Doing is easier than talking sometimes. Here's a place we can talk about gluten-free or other health foods.

Breads:
Canyon Bakehouse from target. Often have deals on cartwheel.
Udi's when canyon isn't on sale. Again also often have deals on cartwheel
Schar's has really really good ciabatta buns
Kath525

Postby Kath525 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm

Nice! I don't have celiac just a sensitivity so I'm pretty relaxed about my gluten free products. For example: I don't check to see if they were made on the same surface as product with gluten or anything like that. Wal mart had a pretty holistic selection of gluten free products for a great price! They even have soft bread that isn't frozen which I like A LOT.
I use a lot of grain alternatives in my cooking too. Like zucchini or squash and almond flour for breads and breaded meat. Tim so far has been a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Tim so far has been a fan

whoa whoa whoa.

I do not like gluten free bread at all.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:39 pm

Full-Circle Foods makes a pretty good pizza crust. I used to base my product choices on what my girlfriend liked, but she has since switched to a mostly GF lifestyle too.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:41 pm

We don't usually buy specifically gluten free products, but we do substitute things sometimes, like zucchini slices for lasagna instead of noodles. Erin has also been buying sprouted grain bread a lot lately, which I'm not the biggest fan of but some is OK.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:08 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post like zucchini slices for lasagna instead of noodles.

I think I like spaghetti squash more than real spaghetti now
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:Source of the post like zucchini slices for lasagna instead of noodles.

I think I like spaghetti squash more than real spaghetti now

Good call. That's another one we do a lot.
kyle

Postby kyle » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:46 am

I like this brand for bread. Udi's can taste too grainy for me.

I also know that Burger Jones in uptown has gluten free buns that are made just for them and are really good!
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:05 am

I don't have a trader joe's near me. Most of the time I find heating the bread for just a little bit really softens it up and makes it much more enjoyable.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 am

kyle wrote:Source of the post taste too grainy for me.

Jocelyn eats all-grain healthy bread and I can't stand it. If I'm making a sack lunch I want the bread to be as boring as possible so the cheese/meat is what I taste.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:09 am

I like a grainy bread.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Jocelyn eats all-grain healthy bread and I can't stand it. If I'm making a sack lunch I want the bread to be as boring as possible so the cheese/meat is what I taste.

White or wheat! get that bread with bugs in it out of here.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post get that bread with bugs in it out of here.

Speaking of this, my friend brought over some chips called "Chirps" one time. They are made with cricket flour.
Erin

Postby Erin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:00 pm

I don't scout out GF products, but Target had Banza pasta (brand that uses chickpea flour) on sale so I bought it to try. I mainly bought it because of the high fiber and protein content
I liked it but Chris thought it was too mushy. It's super filling and cooks really fast!
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Erin wrote:Source of the post I liked it but Chris thought it was too mushy.

It didn't taste bad, but it did have a softer/mushier consistency compared to regular noodles.
kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:08 am

Erin wrote:Source of the post I don't scout out GF products, but Target had Banza pasta (brand that uses chickpea flour) on sale so I bought it to try. I mainly bought it because of the high fiber and protein content
I liked it but Chris thought it was too mushy. It's super filling and cooks really fast!

This is great to know! Most rice pasta I have noticed takes a lot longer to cook, and usually leaves yellow residue in the pot. I will have to try this :)
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:49 am

I told Jocelyn to post here, but she hasn't. She's been feeling kind of icky on and off for a few months and has narrowed it down to some foods. She thinks lettuce is a main culprit. She has been eating some gluten free foods and said that helps her tummy. I don't think it's because of the gluten (she was tested for Danny Illness) but rather it forces her to eat healthier options.

Yesterday she said she made something really good. It involved turkey slices wrapped around hummus. Ick?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 am

Tyler wrote:I told Jocelyn to post here, but she hasn't. She's been feeling kind of icky on and off for a few months and has narrowed it down to some foods. She thinks lettuce is a main culprit. She has been eating some gluten free foods and said that helps her tummy. I don't think it's because of the gluten (she was tested for Danny Illness) but rather it forces her to eat healthier options.

Yesterday she said she made something really good. It involved turkey slices wrapped around hummus. Ick?

Barf
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:27 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I told Jocelyn to post here, but she hasn't. She's been feeling kind of icky on and off for a few months and has narrowed it down to some foods. She thinks lettuce is a main culprit. She has been eating some gluten free foods and said that helps her tummy. I don't think it's because of the gluten (she was tested for Danny Illness) but rather it forces her to eat healthier options.

Has she tried eliminating dairy? Lots of people can't handle dairy especially as we age.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:50 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Has she tried eliminating dairy? Lots of people can't handle dairy especially as we age.

Yes, that's because as humans, we have developed a tolerance for lactose as adults (so technically the majority of us are lactose intolerant).
Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... -tolerance

Return to “Off Topic”