New White-Owned ‘Hip-Hop’ Restaurant Has Both Asian And Black People Outraged

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Go Des Moines?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new ... 341fea7a2a

A new breakfast restaurant called “Me So Hungry” is facing the ire of food lovers who believe its name and theme are offensive.

The eatery, scheduled to open in West Des Moines, Iowa, this August, will have a menu featuring Southern and soul food fare, including chicken and waffles, and a ’90s hip-hop theme.

“It’s going to be a really fun place and all the [1990s] music will be family friendly,” Sarah Cattoor, who co-owns the restaurant with her partner Ryan Greening, told the Des Moines Register on Wednesday.

Some people have accused Cattoor and Greening, who are white, of co-opting black hip-hop and food culture, according to the Iowa Informer.

Commenters on the restaurant’s Facebook page have also said that Me So Hungry is insensitive to Asians, as it plays off the stereotypical “me so horny” line from a Vietnamese sex worker in the movie “Full Metal Jacket.”
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:53 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Go Des Moines?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new ... 341fea7a2a

A new breakfast restaurant called “Me So Hungry” is facing the ire of food lovers who believe its name and theme are offensive.

The eatery, scheduled to open in West Des Moines, Iowa, this August, will have a menu featuring Southern and soul food fare, including chicken and waffles, and a ’90s hip-hop theme.

“It’s going to be a really fun place and all the [1990s] music will be family friendly,” Sarah Cattoor, who co-owns the restaurant with her partner Ryan Greening, told the Des Moines Register on Wednesday.

Some people have accused Cattoor and Greening, who are white, of co-opting black hip-hop and food culture, according to the Iowa Informer.

Commenters on the restaurant’s Facebook page have also said that Me So Hungry is insensitive to Asians, as it plays off the stereotypical “me so horny” line from a Vietnamese sex worker in the movie “Full Metal Jacket.”

Wow... people are so sensitive. Where I don't believe the name of the restaurant is of great taste nor the theme as well, but why get so outraged over a restaurant. I just don't get it. If you don't like it, don't be a patreon. The 'me so horny' line was made famous by the 90s rap group 2 Live Crew. Luther Campbell, aka Luke Skywalker, made music that pushed the boundry as raunchy and sexist. Kids of the 90s ate it up.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 am

I'd go there. Sounds fun.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 am

But I am neither black or asian.

Or blasian.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 am

The name is pretty bad but I don't think people can be mad about a "hip-hop themed" restaurant. No race has exclusive rights to a genre of music.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:52 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post The name is pretty bad

I would argue it's not but i'm not passionate enough to really care.

Like martin said it's just people looking for something to backlash at.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:57 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I would argue it's not but i'm not passionate enough to really care.

I'm not even saying it's bad because of potential racism. It's just clearly a play on the "me so horny" line which is inappropriate for a restaurant. Even if there was no racial connotations to it, people would be upset because of that word play.
JocelynJane

Postby JocelynJane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:17 pm

The phrase actually came to popularity in the movie Full Metal Jacket, when a couple of Vietnamese prostitutes say it to try to entice American soldiers (I think...? Something along those lines). Then it was sampled by 2 Live Crew.

I've heard some people are upset with the fact that it was originally making light of sex work, therefore it is inappropriate in any context. I think that's a BIG stretch. However, I think a majority of Asian people speaking out are tired of being mocked for their accents and approximation of the English language, which the "Me so ___ " definitely does. I always cringe when people speak in horrible Asian (Chinese, Japanese, etc) accents, because it almost ALWAYS seems mocking. It often has a tone of superiority to it, too. I get my nails done at a place run by Vietnamese women, and the way some people treat them (ie laughing when they say something incorrectly, yelling things at them because language barrier=deaf) makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tag

Postby Tag » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:42 pm

yea. Wags you were on right track everyone thinks of the me so horny line. which is in FMJ.

i think its lame, sure people are sensitive but most the people to call them on that are white and haven't had to deal with it. Yes probably too sensitive but why push the envelope?
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Re: New White-Owned ‘Hip-Hop’ Restaurant Has Both Asian And Black People Outraged

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:05 pm

megatron

Postby megatron » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:46 am

Wow they folded fast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Off Topic”