Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Hobbies

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Hobbies

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 am

I have a pretty addictive personality when it comes to hobbies, but they usually pass pretty quickly. Some hobbies that I've obsessed with and now hardly think about are:

-Airsoft/Paintball - this was a huge one for a few years for a lot of us. RIP AirhardHQ messageboard. I don't want to know how much I spent in total on this stuff.
-Spudguns - another passion that I spent too much time/money on between the ages of 17-20.
-Home brewing - I thought my beer equipment was so awesome when I got it. I spent a lot of time researching recipes, reading r/homebrew, and buying equipment. They knew me by name at the local supply store. It's been 2+ years since I've brewed a batch at home.
-Comics - I got into comics pretty late (mid 20's). I loved going to the comic book stores and looking at the Batman paperback trades. I bought a lot of Batman collections.
-Home networking - I got really into home networking this year. I pulled more cables through my house, bought equipment I didn't need, etc. I would still be into this if it wasn't for my new hobby of VR.
-Websites - I still have CPT, but I use to spend a lot of time creating new websites. Wags and I started this at the age of 12? I couldn't remember all the websites I've done over the years, but I'm sure it's 15+
-Making Movies - Younger Tyler/Wags loved doing this as well with our parents' equipment. Things got a lot easier when digital cameras became popular.

Hobbies that I currently have:
-Boardgames - My wife and I got huge into board games when we first moved into together. We started collecting them and playing them all the time. It was a lot easier to get friends together to play games before we all started having kids and adult lives. We still like to play games, but it's easier to fire up Jackbox Party Park on the TV vs teaching someone a new boardgame.
-Woodworking - I like finding reasons to use my power tools and build something. This is a hobby I've had all my life and will continue with.
-VR - no surprise this made the list. I am sure it will fizzle out, but I'm having a blast trying new games, messing with the hardware, and doing social stuff with Corey/Crckrjack.
-Movies/TV - Another one that will always be on the list. We only see a movie a month (compared to one a week like we did a few years ago), but this is a favorite thing to do in our house. It's going to be fun going to more movies as Evie gets older.
TheJose1972

Hobbies

Postby TheJose1972 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:16 am

My only hobby was autograph collecting. I don't do that now its to expensive.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
wags83

Hobbies

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Making Movies - Younger Tyler/Wags loved doing this as well with our parents' equipment. Things got a lot easier when digital cameras became popular.

We were destined for an Oscar had we just stuck with it!
Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Airsoft/Paintball - this was a huge one for a few years for a lot of us.

Airsoft was a ton of fun. I would still do it if everyone was closer together and we could find a place to play. I know Hunter kept it up longer than the rest of us. Does he still play?

Brewing is one of my favorite hobbies and I would do it more if had more room to store beer. My last batch was just before moving and I haven't made a new one in the new house yet. A co-worker of mine who works in our brewing business unit just gave me a sample of a new, super secret hop concentrate that they are developing with a customer. He said he used about a teaspoon of it in secondary fermentation for dry hopping and said it gave a really strong hop flavor, so I'm excited to try it.

Woodworking is something that I enjoy but I am very much a novice. Once I can get some of the must-do things done at home, I'll be able to dedicate more time to practicing my woodworking.

Biking is something I've always enjoyed and got back into a lot more when I moved to Minneapolis. Finally got out on a ride this past Saturday after having not gone for almost 2 months (since moving basically). It's a really cool way to see different parts of the city and Minneapolis/St. Paul are so bike friendly that you can pretty much get wherever you want to go with no problem on a bike.

Video games are always fun. As with many of the other hobbies I have, making time for video games is the biggest restraint.

Gardening is a newer one. My grandma plants a garden every year and we would always help her with it when I lived in Sheldon. Now that we have our own house and a dedicated garden space, it's been fun to see everything grow and try to keep things alive. Unfortunately, I think a bunny got into the garden last weekend. It ate off the tops of about half the beets that were growing and one of the banana pepper plants. The beets might come back but the banana pepper looks like it's done for.
Tyler
Owner

Hobbies

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:18 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I know Hunter kept it up longer than the rest of us. Does he still play?

I asked him about this a few months ago and he said it's been a couple years since he played....er...I mean skirmished
wags83 wrote:
Source of the post Biking is something I've always enjoyed and got back into a lot more when I moved to Minneapolis.. It's a really cool way to see different parts of the city

This is something I would like to get into, but will probably wait until kids are older to bike as well. Co-worker just got back from Ragbrai and I think that would be a blast.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Unfortunately, I think a bunny got into the garden last weekend.

I'll start saving my hair for you when I buzz it. I've heard rabbits will stay away if you do this, not sure if it's true though.
wags83

Hobbies

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Co-worker just got back from Ragbrai and I think that would be a blast.

We gotta get an old bus for a support team!
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Hobbies

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:44 am

Video Games: mainly Destiny on PS4 soon to be Destiny 2. Been playing through my back log because I have no real desire to keep up with D1 when D2 is coming out in September.
Music: I play bass in a band with a couple guys from Fort Dodge. I head up there usually once a week for practice. We're in the process of recording some of our songs in the singer's basement. He knows someone at the local radio station and actually had one of our songs play on there recently. Also have a show in FD on August 12th.
Twitch: This could be lumped in with video games. Really taking a liking to hanging out in various twitch streams. Getting to know the streamer and chat. It's building a community rather than "just" watching someone play games.
Podcast: I find myself listening to podcasts far more than anything else while driving or working. Cracked, Astonishing Legends, TenTenths, Groove, a few Destiny based, and Good Job, Brain! are what I listen to. Those usually carry me from week to week.
Movies/TV: This isn't as high on the list as previous years. Usually just watch movies and tv shows with Maria. Very rarely go to theaters anymore.
Hiking: This is something Maria and I do when she has the weekend off. We like to just kind of explore little state parks from time to time. High Trestle Trail bridge is cool, Ledges State park is neato, Briggs Woods state park has some pretty waterfalls... for Iowa. Kind of gets us out of the house for a few hours.
Tyler
Owner

Hobbies

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I head up there usually once a week for practice. We're in the process of recording some of our songs in the singer's basement. He knows someone at the local radio station and actually had one of our songs play on there recently. Also have a show in FD on August 12th.

That's some dedication. That's like 2 hours round trip?
Awesome about being played on the radio! That is really cool. Have a soundcloud to share with us?
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Podcast:

Good call. I don't even think of this as a hobby, but I spend 90 minutes most days listening to podcasts.
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Hiking

I haven't been hiking in such a long time. I could totally see how it is relaxing to just get outside and moving. Same appeal as biking but you get to see more remote areas, but it requires driving first.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Hobbies

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:56 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
That's some dedication. That's like 2 hours round trip?
Awesome about being played on the radio! That is really cool. Have a soundcloud to share with us?

Yeah right around two hour round trip. Once we record all the songs and have them mixed I'm sure we'll get a bandcamp or something going to share songs online.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post but it requires driving first.

means more time for podcasts!
wags83

Hobbies

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:04 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the postAlso have a show in FD on August 12th.

I was gonna suggest a CPT g2g for this show, but I will be in Sheldon that weekend. The rest of you should go though!
Tyler
Owner

Hobbies

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the postAlso have a show in FD on August 12th.

I was gonna suggest a CPT g2g for this show, but I will be in Sheldon that weekend. The rest of you should go though!

I was going to suggest a CPT g2g for this show as well, but I will also be in Sheldon. Sam Storm gets married that weekend. I will probably be too busy to even say hi to you since I'll be at the rehearsal dinner as well and it's in Canton.
wags83

Hobbies

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the postSam Storm gets married that weekend.

That's what I'm in town for, to crash his wedding.
CrckrJack

Hobbies

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Kathryn
Video Games - PUBG/Darkest Dungeon at the moment, sometimes some Cities: Skylines
Movies/TV - Love going to theaters but netflix is just as fun
Exercise - Used to be really into weights but gotten more into cardio recently. Trying to shoot for 4-5 sessions/week but usually get 2 or 3. Need to get in shape for wedding.
Dogs

THIS LIST IS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Old Hobbies:
Paintball
WoW
Binge Drinking
Tyler
Owner

Re: Hobbies

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Lol...Kathryn. Speaking of LoL, you guys were big into that for a hot minute.
Kath525

Hobbies

Postby Kath525 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Tim

Dogs

Crafting - I go through kicks where I will spend a lot of time (all of my time) and a lot of money (all of my money) doing various crafts. One summer I made a bunch of giant floor pillows and sold them for like $60. I've made a lot of things with burlap including wreaths. I also like refurbishing furniture and other things. I recently refurbished this great desk I will post pictures of though the lighting isn't great.

Wedding planning - this is probably my main right now but I'm getting a little bored of it mostly because it's expensive and sad to plan so hard for something I can't enjoy for a year.

Video games- this is another kick thing. If I start playing the sims I won't stop-for hours, for days, for weeks. I've also been addicted to COD, Skyrim, Marvel LEGO. And that's only since college; don't get my started on 101 Dalmatians and Barbie Detective.

TV- this is a constant for me. I watch shows in general but there are a few shows I cycle through (as in I'm probably on my fourth viewing of all of these): Dawson's Creek (currently on 3rd viewing ), One Tree Hill, Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars, Avatar the Last Airbender, Game of Thrones. Repeat.

Exercise- hopefully on another kick starting now. I used to be really in to weights and running and then we moved and I lost it and it's been a big struggle to get back to where I was. I always have to remind myself I like doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmyoungs

Hobbies

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Golf: I am a professional hobbiest

Darts: got into it a few years ago and can't stop. I love watching it too.

Boardgames: haven't played much since Marshall was born but we have a solid collection

I am similar to Glass having too many fleeting hobbies to list. I would have even more if time allowed in the summer

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Hobbies

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 pm

Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Avatar the Last Airbender

such a good show. Movie was just awful though.
Tyler
Owner

Hobbies

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:05 am

Kath525 wrote:Source of the post I recently refurbished this great desk I will post pictures

Waiting...
Kath525 wrote:Source of the post If I start playing the sims I won't stop-for hours, for days, for weeks

You and Jocelyn can start a support group for each other
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Darts: got into it a few years ago and can't stop. I love watching it too.

I think it's cool that you compete in tournaments and do this weekly. What level of play would you consider it? Is it always at the same bar or do tournaments move around? I guess if you're in a bowling league it is always at the same place.
Tyler
Owner

Hobbies

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:13 am

I thought of another one for Crckrjack and me. We got into handguns 3+ years ago. This hobby lasted about a year for me. I stopped going to the range and looking for ammo deals when Evie came into the picture. I live 7 minutes from a gun range though, I would like to get into a routine of going there at least once every other month.

It's an expensive hobby though. Handgun is $500+ and you will soon want nice eye/ear protection, carrying cases, cleaning supplies, etc. Range time is around $10 for an hour, way more if you do indoor. I got a 9mm just because it has the cheapest ammo at $25 for 100rd. It doesn't take long to shoot that, especially if you bring a friend. So you're looking at almost $50 per range visit.
megatron

Hobbies

Postby megatron » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 am

Volleyball's probably my biggest hobby. Sand and indoor, so I play all year round. I wish I could say biking and kayaking too but I haven't gotten out enough to count them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
wags83

Hobbies

Postby wags83 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 am

That reminds me, I did join a softball team this summer for the first time in almost 10 years. It was fun but our team was really bad.

Return to “Off Topic”