Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Best and worst jobs

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Best and worst jobs

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 pm

I like stealing things from other posts and creating new threads. Bmyoungs said meat department was his 3rd favorite job. What has been the best and worst jobs for everyone.
wags83

Best and worst jobs

Postby wags83 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

My job I have now is the best I've had. I actually really liked working at the lumber yard during college too.

Comcast was my worst job. Talking to angry, stupid people all day everyday.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Best and worst jobs

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Best was movie theater. Made a lot of friends, the work was fun, got to see free movies, and unlimited time to goof off.

I've enjoyed all of my professional jobs too. Nationwide was fun because I got to meet crckrjack, salvo, Wilkins, Tylersucks, etc there.

Worst was working in a warehouse. I would spend hours just shopvacing the cement floor. Working in packaging was slightly better.
CrckrJack

Best and worst jobs

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:06 pm

I think Coldstone was my favorite job. Met a lot of really fun people. Getting to meet people outside of my high school was probably the coolest part about it.

Server at LoneStar or GuideOne were probably my least favorite. I hated serving people. It was awful and stressful and the managers didn't even train me. Guideone was just miserable. Free food was nice though.

I also worked at the state fair which was miserable but it was like $1k whihc was a lot of money to me then so made it worth it.

I would say that my current job is just as rewarding as CS was, but only working 10-20 hours per week and being able to "live" off of it was great. Plus free ice cream.
Kath525

Best and worst jobs

Postby Kath525 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:08 pm

In a job interview once I was asked what jobs I hated and why I hated them and I answered that I didn't hate any of my jobs because they all taught me something-even if they were bad or I didnt like them they were rewarding. I'll tell you an answer like that goes really far in an interview but it's also the truth.
My first job was at the Playstation (kind of like Chuckee Cheese except more play area) and it was so bomb! I met tons of people outside of my own high school, made pizzas, yelled at kids for breaking rules, and just played around. My manager was a senior in high school so it was literally kids watching kids watching kids. And parents loved me and would give me $20+ tips if I cut the birthday cake well enough. Loved it. Wish I could go back.

My current job is excellent as well though I do find things tinge annoyed about frequently. It's basically my dream job and probably the best position I'll get without more schooling or credentials. I have a lot of autonomy.

I also loved working at the Hyvee in Marion because I was the only intern so I got all the opportunities whereas my classmates had to compete for experience with other interns.
Ankeny Hyvee was good in a similar way because I was graduated so I got to do all the fun intern stuff without all the mundane pharmacist stuff.

The absolute worst job I ever had was selling sweet corn at one of the side of the road stands. This job was terrible for multiple reasons. 1. The summer that I worked was like 2012/2013 and it was 90+ every day-so stinking hot you just sat in your lawn chair feeling like jaba the hut until some cranky lady pulled up in her AC-ed van after work and make you deliver the corn to her window so she wouldn't have to get in the heat. We had to set up those EZ up tents and produce table at 7 am (also they are not EZ especially if you're alone) and sell produce until 7pm and then pack up and drive back to the farm. The customers were cranky, the environment was awful, and it didn't pay much. I do however know quite a lot about produce now and it was very character building.

I also worked for the Cedar Rapids country club as a beer cart girl for a summer. It sucked because my manager was a monster. She would schedule me for 12 hour shifts and then yell at me for working over 40 hours a week. What?? Also the other beer cart girl was pretty in a magazine kind of way and I was pretty in a normal girl kind of way so the golfers were always asking where she was and that kind of sucked. I did however make a BUTT LOAD of cash. This one member would give me a $50 bill every other turn because I always remembered to have bud heavy on my cart for him. I made 1K during a three day weekend tournament just in tips. Holla.

Regardless, I didn't go back to the CRCC but I didn't get a beer cart gig at a public club which I made a lot less money at but I could read behind the shed in the sun when I was slow and I basically just hung out outside all day. They also made me a manager which looked good on my CV.

my least favorite job was an intern position at a pharmacy before Hyvee. I got hired with a few other interns-all boys. I was frequently told in various ways that I wouldn't be successful or I was smart because I was a girl and pretty. Like they would ask us all a question and I would be able to answer correctly and in front of everyone they would say something about how they were shocked I could possibly know anything because I'm a pretty girl. They would frequently give opportunities to the other interns who frankly weren't as qualified as me. It was a terrible working environment and total BS. I was there to learn. Hyvee was a god send. They hired me without even interviewing. It was a complete 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JocelynJane

Best and worst jobs

Postby JocelynJane » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:40 pm

I don't feel that I'm far enough into my time in this position to definitively declare that it is better than my previous job. I love this job for many reasons: I get to problem solve and be creative, I am learning a TON, I have to push myself out of my comfort zone, I am challenged (in a good way). I also like that I get to feel more like an adult sometimes... Go to the bathroom and take my lunch when I please (woah, big one), take off work to take a class, create my schedule, etc. I didn't anticipate how much flack I would get, though. I am the face of all big changes in our building, because I run the professional development. However, that mostly comes from the district and administration. I don't think people realize that... Or I am just the messenger that gets shot. I also am finding that I have to be the peacemaker with a lot of drama/culture issues. Which can be uncomfortable. Only half cried to my boss about it once, so that's a success. I really miss working with kids directly, though. I actually am providing small group reading instruction for our lowest 4th and 5th graders, and I love it.

Worst job was definitely Dairy Queen. Our boss was a creep-o and a complete imbecile. He actually was embezzling money, I believe. It was gross, people were dumb. Oh yeah, and I also hated the waitressing job that I held for all of about two weeks. Awful manager who was super rude. Plus I was really bad at remembering to ID people... Oops.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
bmyoungs

Best and worst jobs

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Worst job was radio shack. There really want any redeeming quality working there. Worked way too many hours because we had no staff, and it was radio shack so that's just terrible in itself.

Best job is probably my current job. I've had a lot of freedom to make it my own. My boss has made me feel like what I bring to the table is important. Also I get to play golf and spend a lot of time outdoors. As a career it's very stressful since I will never have a lot of time off during the nicest time off the year, but having 4 months off every winter isn't a bad trade off

megatron

Best and worst jobs

Postby megatron » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:06 pm

I don't remember ever having a terrible job tbh. All of my jobs before my current career were super easy! I'll rank them worst to best:
1. (Worst) Fareway checkout girl - the uniform was uncomfortable, standing in one place for hours, boss was kind of an ass, and some rude people
2. College cafeteria worker
3. YMCA front desk
4. Orangetheory Fitness front desk
5. Taystee Bakery Outlet - I literally got to sit for 6 hours at a time reading books and occasionally selling a loaf of bread that would expire the next day, all while making $11/hour
6. (Best) DC at ChiroCenter - actually doing something to help people/using my degree

Tyler
Owner

Best and worst jobs

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 am

Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Also the other beer cart girl was pretty in a magazine kind of way and I was pretty in a normal girl kind of way so the golfers were always asking where she was and that kind of sucked.

Kath525 wrote:Source of the post Like they would ask us all a question and I would be able to answer correctly and in front of everyone they would say something about how they were shocked I could possibly know anything because I'm a pretty girl

What I learned from this post: if you want to be the best looking girl in the room become a pharmacist
Tyler
Owner

Best and worst jobs

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 am

JocelynJane wrote:Source of the post Go to the bathroom and take my lunch when I please

That is a weird place to eat lunch, but more power to you
Tyler
Owner

Best and worst jobs

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Worst job was radio shack. There really want any redeeming quality working there. Worked way too many hours because we had no staff, and it was radio shack so that's just terrible in itself.

I think Sheldon still has theirs? You should go work there. Did all of the corporate Radio Shacks close, but the locally owned could stay open?
Tyler
Owner

Best and worst jobs

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:14 am

megatron wrote:Source of the post 2. College cafeteria worker

megatron wrote:Source of the post 5. Taystee Bakery Outlet - I literally got to sit for 6 hours at a time reading books and occasionally selling a loaf of bread that would expire the next day, all while making $11/hour

I forgot you had these jobs in college. I think we only came to see you at Rialto once since we didn't have meal plans when we knew you.
Erin

Best and worst jobs

Postby Erin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:16 am

I worked at a Girl Scouts Camp as an Assistant Cook during the summer from soph-jr year of college. While it was great experience working in a commercial kitchen and helped me later get an internship, it was such an awful summer. Worked from 5:30a-7pmish, with a short break in the afternoon and got paid by the day. Being in the kitchen all day with just my horrific manager- a middle aged single woman who I knew more about her "personal life" than my close friends felt like torture at the end.

Luckily I've had lots of great ones! I loved what I did at college, Health Advocate Lead. We did on campus events ranging from 5ks, "health trolley" visiting dorms, bingo...etc. I also do like my current role as a Health Coach to use my RD to educate people outside the hospital. I also could write a nice table book (titled: "This is Wellness") with all the comments I hear on a daily basis haha.
wags83

Best and worst jobs

Postby wags83 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:17 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Worst job was radio shack. There really want any redeeming quality working there. Worked way too many hours because we had no staff, and it was radio shack so that's just terrible in itself.

I think Sheldon still has theirs? You should go work there. Did all of the corporate Radio Shacks close, but the locally owned could stay open?

We had a Radio Shack in Golden Valley that was still open until just a couple months ago. I went in to see if there were any good deals with the closeout prices. There weren't.
Tyler
Owner

Best and worst jobs

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 am

Erin wrote:Source of the post I also could write a nice table book (titled: "This is Wellness") with all the comments I hear on a daily basis haha.

When can we expect it to hit Amazon?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Best and worst jobs

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 am

I think I might be working at my best and worst job. I really hate the client I'm working for. I try to work from home as much as possible to avoid coming in and seeing anyone.

On the flip side, it has tons of freedom to it, and I essentially have no boss.

Return to “Off Topic”