Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Water Softener

Talk about anything.
Corey
Site Admin

Water Softener

Postby Corey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wow. Your water was way worse than mine too!

Maybe you just take fast showers? Your parents also had 4+ people using showers/laundry, etc. You have 2.

You should mess with your settings to save salt! Yours is probably cranked up way higher than it needs to be.

I also only take showers at home 3 times a week now as I shower at work after the gym the other days.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Good call. I bet I could lower mine, but I still feel like I'm barely using anything compared to parents.

Next time I add salt I'll turn it down and test it after a week.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Added a couple bags and noticed this. This isn't true at all for ours.

Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Werd. I still haven't added more than the 3 bags I added initially. It is at the 2 mark so we are getting close!
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Re: Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Corey wrote:Werd. I still haven't added more than the 3 bags I added initially. It is at the 2 mark so we are getting close!
Wow! I add like 2 every 5 months?
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Water Softener

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:24 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Corey wrote:Werd. I still haven't added more than the 3 bags I added initially. It is at the 2 mark so we are getting close!

Tyler wrote:Source of the post

So your water isn't that bad or u just don't use that much water?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 am

I probably have mine up higher than it needs to be. I need to get more testing strips and gradually turn it to a lower setting and keep checking my water levels.
Tyler
Owner

Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:16 am

Mcnards doesn't have take home tests anymore for water hardness, you need to bring the water in. Doing that today. Figured if I am installing a new dish washer I want to make sure my water hardness is okay. I'm anticipating having to put in a softener this weekend
Corey
Site Admin

Water Softener

Postby Corey » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:27 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Mcnards doesn't have take home tests anymore for water hardness, you need to bring the water in. Doing that today. Figured if I am installing a new dish washer I want to make sure my water hardness is okay. I'm anticipating having to put in a softner this weekend

I bought these a few weeks ago when I was curious if it was still working.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Tyler
Owner

Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post I bought these a few weeks ago when I was curious if it was still working.

That's a good idea. I'll do the Minnie Mouse sippy cup of water today and probably buy that myself if I end up getting a system.
ejhartman91

Water Softener

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm anticipating having to put in a softener this weekend

Because of your new dishwasher?
Tyler
Owner

Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:42 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Because of your new dishwasher?

I'm expecting the test to show I have hard water because of the buildup on my tankless hot water heater. So yes, since I am installing a brand new nice dishwasher I want to ensure I have soft water to keep that kitten purring as long as possible.

I installed one in the previous house and you do feel cleaner in the shower. It's so silky.

11% week at mcnards so perfect timing to get one. For like $400 (after rebate) you can buy it and the all the supplies.
Tyler
Owner

Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Mcnards doesn't have take home tests anymore for water hardness, you need to bring the water in. Doing that today.

Such a process now. Had to find someone who knew how to conduct the test and it was 5+ minutes for him to perform it. I am moderately hard and my water was not soft either.
wags83

Water Softener

Postby wags83 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm

;) ;) ;) ;)
goldenrod

Water Softener

Postby goldenrod » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 am

My water softener stopped working a few months ago so I installed a bigger one since whoever put the last one in the house put a smaller one in. Love the way soft water feels.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:48 am

goldenrod wrote:My water softener stopped working a few months ago so I installed a bigger one since whoever put the last one in the house put a smaller one in. Love the way soft water feels.
Werd. Pointy water sucks.
Tyler
Owner

Water Softener

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 am

The test comes back a little softer, not sure how many cycles it takes. The shower certainly feels silkier too.

My water pressure is also insane now in the shower. I think the main valve must have been only opened 80% and now it is 100%. That's the only theory I could come up with.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:47 am

Corey, you never posted your commercial sized one. Does it feel softer than our "cheap" ones from Menards?
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Water Softener

Postby Corey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Since this is a long term home for us I spent more on a better (not commercial) one. It is a Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 grain. This will have a much longer useful life than the all in ones because it is actually repairable (it is probably the most popular softener valve) and is less prone for salt bridging with the separate brine tank.

I went with the path of least resistance on the install this time and bought a shark bite (Menards knockoff though) to get the 1" copper pipe to 1" female then bought a corrugated water softener hookup hose and simply twisted it onto both ends. I had a hell of a time finding push to connect fittings for my pipes as 1" isn't as common it appears. I wish I could have found 90° fittings instead as it would have ended up a bit cleaner but this is effective.

All in it was about $700 with the parts needed to install.

Bonus is that the other 3 copper pipes you see to the left of the connection are for the two outdoor bibs and the third goes to the cold water at the sink/fridge water so no drinking water is softened.

Return to “Off Topic”