Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Artemis - Andy Weir (of The Martian fame)

Talk about anything.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Tyler wrote:Chapter 7
► Show Spoiler

Chapter 8
► Show Spoiler
Jazz is literally a dozen different people. Hawt slutty girl, super smart engineer, extremely talented welder, moon walker tour guide, best smuggler on the moon, detective, computer programmer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Jazz is literally a dozen different people. Hawt slutty girl, super smart engineer, extremely talented welder, moon walker tour guide, best smuggler on the moon, detective, computer programmer.

LOL. This is so true. The same agrument could be made about Watney in "The Martian", but that guys a trained astronaut/scientist. I believed he would know a lot about the stuff he used. Jazz literally knows everything there is to know about everything at the age of 20ish
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Jazz is literally a dozen different people. Hawt slutty girl, super smart engineer, extremely talented welder, moon walker tour guide, best smuggler on the moon, detective, computer programmer.

LOL. This is so true. The same agrument could be made about Watney in "The Martian", but that guys a trained astronaut/scientist. I believed he would know a lot about the stuff he used. Jazz literally knows everything there is to know about everything at the age of 20ish
I mean every protagonist is like that but nothing sets her up as being special in any way. They just say "you have so much potential, Jazz"

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 am

I think it was 9-10 that I read last night.
► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:00 am

I cant remember what chapter I'm on, but Jazz is doing her plan of blowing up the smelter. She spent a chapter attaching the box to the dome and then cutting through it. She hooked up fake pressure readers so it would melt itself down, but just as she was leaving she saw the older smelter inventor lady still in the dome.

What is everyone's biggest complaint about the big? I think mine is the dialog. The Martian is almost all inner monologue so it wasn't an issue for me, but the way Jazz talks to people in this book isn't how anyone talks. If they do make this into a movie I think they could easily do the rare thing and have a movie better than the book. There are good ideas in this book and I would love to see them on the big screen.

Andy, if you are reading this, don't stop writing. You set an impossibly high bar for yourself with The Martian and I am still enjoying this book.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I cant remember what chapter I'm on, but Jazz is doing her plan of blowing up the smelter. She spent a chapter attaching the box to the dome and then cutting through it. She hooked up fake pressure readers so it would melt itself down, but just as she was leaving she saw the older smelter inventor lady still in the dome.

What is everyone's biggest complaint about the big? I think mine is the dialog. The Martian is almost all inner monologue so it wasn't an issue for me, but the way Jazz talks to people in this book isn't how anyone talks. If they do make this into a movie I think they could easily do the rare thing and have a movie better than the book. There are good ideas in this book and I would love to see them on the big screen.

Andy, if you are reading this, don't stop writing. You set an impossibly high bar for yourself with The Martian and I am still enjoying this book.

Jazz's character in general. She is unbelievable and her dialogue is forced. In Andy's AMA on reddit, he said almost 90% of his complaints were about the dialogue, which he was originally hurt by, but understands that he can't be perfect and is fallible. He said it was going to be his main focus to work on next time.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:30 pm

The whole idea was just taken the wrong direction. I loved the concept of a heist on the moon, but it didn't work here. Not one character, except maybe Rudy, was built up in a way where I have a shit about them. Every time he tried to make Jazz seem more relatable it fell flat. The story lacked solid direction and seemed like two half finished books smashed together.

I agree with Glass and actually assumed while reading it that this was a book written to be a movie.

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post The whole idea was just taken the wrong direction. I loved the concept of a heist on the moon, but it didn't work here. Not one character, except maybe Rudy, was built up in a way where I have a shit about them. Every time he tried to make Jazz seem more relatable it fell flat. The story lacked solid direction and seemed like two half finished books smashed together.

I agree with Glass and actually assumed while reading it that this was a book written to be a movie.

I think i remember seeing that the movie rights were sold before he even finished the book.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:32 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post The whole idea was just taken the wrong direction. I loved the concept of a heist on the moon, but it didn't work here. Not one character, except maybe Rudy, was built up in a way where I have a shit about them. Every time he tried to make Jazz seem more relatable it fell flat. The story lacked solid direction and seemed like two half finished books smashed together.

I think i remember seeing that the movie rights were sold before he even finished the book.
Makes perfect sense. He should just be a screenwriter

Tyler
Owner

Re: Artemis - Andy Weir (of The Martian fame)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 am

I finished last night.
► Show Spoiler
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I finished last night.
► Show Spoiler

Yeah, i really dug the science in this book, but the characters were just god awful.

Return to “Off Topic”