Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Online Foam Mattresses

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 am

I finally caved and bought a Capser. I have never owned a foam mattress, but it seems they are growing in popularity recently. Especially the ones bought directly from the manufacturer online.

Does anyone have one of these online foam mattresses? One question I do have is about the "foundation" or "box spring" you are supposed to use with the foam mattresses. Apparently foam mattresses need a more "flat" foundation to rest on? I'm not sure if my existing box spring will work for my Casper...should I buy a new one?
wags83

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby wags83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:18 am

I don't have one currently, but my parents have them in the room I stay in when I visit. I believe you're right about the foundation, it's more of a flat box, as if it's a plywood board on the top rather than a box spring. Not sure if using a box spring would be any less comfortable or cause damage to the mattress though.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Online Foam Mattresses

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Are you wanting to use your existing bed frame?
ejhartman91

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Are you wanting to use your existing bed frame?

Yes. We have a nice bed we bought from Homemakers last year. It's not a platform bed though so we have been using a box spring with our current inner-spring mattress.

I caved and bought a new "foundation" that is made by Zinus and looks identical to the Casper version (but is $120 cheaper):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N ... UTF8&psc=1
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Weird a typical box spring doesn't work. I know it has spring in the name, but it's practically a wooden box
ejhartman91

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Weird a typical box spring doesn't work. I know it has spring in the name, but it's practically a wooden box

Apparently, box springs were designed for inner-spring mattresses, and they provide a different kind of support than is needed for a foam mattress. Wirecutter has some good information in their guide to platform bed frames:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... under-300/
blake

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby blake » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:30 pm

wasn't online but same concept

We bought a Novaform mattress from Costco and it's incredible.

It sits on wood slates which we had previously in our bed set. No box spring
bmyoungs

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:29 pm

We have a tempurpedic. Absolutely love it. Have tried other foam mattress/ memory foam and they don't compare. It's not "cooling" like other mattress, rather it absorbs your body heat which helps keep you cool overnight rather than just that instant cool feeling when you lie down. That did take a bit to adjust to because I wouldn't be instantly cold feeling when I get in bed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ejhartman91

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:37 pm

bmyoungs wrote:We have a tempurpedic. Absolutely love it. Have tried other foam mattress/ memory foam and they don't compare. It's not "cooling" like other mattress, rather it absorbs your body heat which helps keep you cool overnight rather than just that instant cool feeling when you lie down. That did take a bit to adjust to because I wouldn't be instantly cold feeling when I get in bed.

Which other ones have you tried?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
bmyoungs

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:We have a tempurpedic. Absolutely love it. Have tried other foam mattress/ memory foam and they don't compare. It's not "cooling" like other mattress, rather it absorbs your body heat which helps keep you cool overnight rather than just that instant cool feeling when you lie down. That did take a bit to adjust to because I wouldn't be instantly cold feeling when I get in bed.

Which other ones have you tried?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
None of the online ones TBH. Just a few name brands in stores , and some generic ones friends have. Biggest thing I noticed is ours feels hard and not like foam until you've been in bed about 15 min and it has absorbed some heat. The others felt closer to a pillow top mattress just more consistent.

This was about 4 years ago so i don't know the exact ones we tried.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 am

Thinking about getting a couple foam internet bets. Corey said to do Zinus on Amazon. They are about 50% the price of a Casper it seems.

8" Twin for the toddler and upgrade to a 12" king for us.
Twin - $114
Twin frame - $55
King - $350
King frame - $73

$600 total for it all.
And of course new bedding for 2 beds
ejhartman91

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:47 am

Is your current bed foam?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
wags83

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby wags83 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:31 am

This sparked a conversation at home about getting a new mattress. We are currently using a super old metal spring mattress with a pillow top cover on it. I don't really know where to start on which brands to look at.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Online Foam Mattresses

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Is your current bed foam?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Traditional spring with pillow top. Have an extra 2" foam pad on it that I used in college on a crappy mattress.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Online Foam Mattresses

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 am

wags83 wrote:This sparked a conversation at home about getting a new mattress. We are currently using a super old metal spring mattress with a pillow top cover on it. I don't really know where to start on which brands to look at.
Just listen to Corey. Zinus.
ejhartman91

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am

I can say from experience that going from innerspring to foam will be an adjustment. Take advantage of the money back guarantees. We ended up getting to keep a Casper mattress that we bought from Amazon because they didn't want to bother with getting it returned. We now sleep on a Loom & Leaf relaxed firm foam mattress from Saatva. I've heard the Zinus are good but more qualified as a guest bedroom mattress. Not something you want to sleep on every night. IMO, you should spend as much as it takes to get the proper mattress because sleep is important and you spend a lot of time laying on the mattress you get.
wags83

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby wags83 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am

My parents have foam mattresses as their house, so we sleep on them when we visit. I've slept on some I like and some I definitely didn't like. I would for sure need to try one out before committing to anything so money-back guarantee would be ideal.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

Good points. I have the concern of going all in and then not liking it. I would have to look into Amazon's return policy on it.

I don't NEED a new bed now, just thought the timing would work out. I should test our Corey's next time I'm up.
wags83

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby wags83 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post test

;) ;)
ejhartman91

Online Foam Mattresses

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 am

Most of the online foam mattress sellers offer anywhere from 60 to 365 night trials. Some have more strings attached to those trials than others, but you usually end up getting most of your money back. So you don't have to worry about going "all in." Consumer reports has a lot of good information about mattress buying. Let me know if you're interested in that and I can send you some.

Return to “Off Topic”