Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Robot Vacuums

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Robot Vacuums

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:49 am

I've had robot for over 8 months now. Thought I would give a long term review.

Knowing what I know now, do I wish I would have bought one sooner? Yes
If you own a dog that sheds you need to own a robot vacuum. I can't believe how much hair is caught every single day. When I got it I thought daily wouldn't be necessary, but it absolutely is, especially during bi-annual shedding season (going on now).

It's important to note that no robot vac will ever replace your traditional upright vacuum. I could vacuum over the floors right after the robot ran and I know I would still get a canister of dog hair out of the carpet, but the robot does a good enough job that the house doesn't look dirty. You will also need to keep the upright vac to do the staircase and other hard to reach places.

I feel like I've lucked out with furniture and floor layout. On a typical month robot only gets stuck about 1 time, and that is only because we set up a doggie gate in the morning and he knocks it over. I had to make the modification above to stop it from beating up my furniture, but other than that I have had little to no issues with it navigating my house. At least once a week I put the dinning room chairs onto the table so it can clean under there. (I have a rug under the table and it is a big dog hair magnet).

I can't recommend one brand over another, but I think anything in the $160-$200 range (on sale) should be a safe buy for anyone that doesn't have one. You will be amazed at how much it picks up every day.

Some other tips:
-Empty it every single day.
-Use the included brush to wipe away the filter at least every other day
-Take the internal filter out regularly and blow it all out with an air compressor every couple of months
-Take the brush out regularly too to clear that off and anything that might be stuck in there
-Put it in the basement over night to clean down there. I do this about once a week. Since there is no dock it will run until it dies or gets stuck (more stuff to get stuck on down there)
-Reverse the spinning arm brushes when they start to bend one way a lot
wags83

Robot Vacuums

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 am

I've been considering getting a robot vacuum for a little while now, basically for the same reason: dog hair. Fran's shedding situation is nowhere near as bad as Roscoe's but it still builds up pretty good if we don't sweep for a few days.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Robot Vacuums

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am

The only problem I have with mine, is my couch is about 1mm taller than the vacuum, so the vacuum glides in, and then gets stuck ALL the time. We have to block with shoes and blankets etc or we just hear BEEP BEEP BEEP
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Robot Vacuums

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 am

cwilkins88 wrote:The only problem I have with mine, is my couch is about 1mm taller than the vacuum, so the vacuum glides in, and then gets stuck ALL the time. We have to block with shoes and blankets etc or we just hear BEEP BEEP BEEP
You're fixing it wrong. Lift the couch up a fraction of an inch so the vacuum can get under it all.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Robot Vacuums

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Stuck so hard it was burning rubber. Now I have this mess to deal with.

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Robot Vacuums

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Tyler wrote:Stuck so hard it was burning rubber. Now I have this mess to deal with.

Is your robot vacuum becoming self aware from all the fast and the furious movies you love so much?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Robot Vacuums

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm

RIP. After vacuuming up dog poop today I had to put my Eufy down. Be on the lookout for a deal for me
Tyler
Owner

Robot Vacuums

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Be on the lookout for a deal for me

Got thisA4 ILIFE for $140 the day mine got tossed.

TheWireCutter had this to say about it:
We’ve tested the iLife A4s and found that it was a little more likely to get stuck on thresholds and rug fringe than the cheap bots made by Eufy and EcoVacs. But loads of people own this robot and are very happy with it—if you can find it for really cheap, go for it.

I got it today. It seems noticeable smaller than my Eufy and a little louder. I went out to mow and came back in an hour later and it was done, meaning it either goes shorter or the battery wasn't fully charged. It also didn't pick up as much dog hair as I was expecting, but it was still quite a bit. Will continue testing this week.
Tyler
Owner

Robot Vacuums

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:00 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Got thisA4 ILIFE for $140 the day mine got tossed.

Available for $130 right now. Instant buy for anyone that doesn't have a vacuum yet or wants a 2nd
Link
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:04 am

Will tree skirts just destroy our robo vacuums this Christmas?
bmyoungs

Robot Vacuums

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Tyler wrote:Will tree skirts just destroy our robo vacuums this Christmas?
Oh man good thought. I guess I'll either have to put a barrier around that or not vacuum because our skirt will be destroyed by the vacuum

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:10 pm

I guess I can live with the vacuum only being automated 11/12 months.

Return to “Off Topic”