Tyler
Owner

Re: Boardgames

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Got them!
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:34 pm

7 wonders is easily one of the best games I have played probably second best to suburbia. pandemic is the best coop game so youre going to be very happy with both of those. id highly recommend the pandemic expansions as well, they add a couple very fun dynamics to the gameplay. I get power grid tomorrow I cant wait to play it.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Frickin. Nerds.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:39 pm

wags83 wrote:Frickin. Nerds.

jealous much?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:41 pm

wags83 wrote:Frickin. Nerds.

Before clicking this I saw wags had the latest comment. I told Jocelyn, "$100 says Chris posted 'frickin nerds' ". Count it!
awright

Postby awright » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:21 am

Didn't get a chance to play anything since Pandemic last week, which is impossible with two people. We did play Cards Against Humanity over the weekend...it was only the second time I've played but I still felt like we were taking turns beating a dead horse. I did snicker at "dick fingers" and "clenched butt cheeks" when they were in my hand but otherwise I wasn't very amused. To be fair, my harsh criticism originates from my pure hatred for Apples to Apples.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 am

I haven't played any of my new games yet, hopefully this weekend.

And I can't stand CAH. I am so upset that it's the #1 rated Game on Amazon. It's so over-hyped now and after playing it once the initial shock value is completely gone. I told Will he could just have it for college, we never want to play it again.

I like this Amazon review:
Cards Against Humanity is popular for the same reason as Transformers is a box office hit; there are an abundance of stupid people. If you have never experienced the internet or were home-schooled your whole life, hearing naughty words and combinations thereof may indeed be quite amusing. People who like this game who claim to be a “horrible person” or have a “twisted sense of humor” have, in fact, a very limited sense of humor and would likely find just as much amusement listening to a juicy farts mix-tape.
awright

Postby awright » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am

Lolz spot on review!
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56 am

CAH does have a certain shock value that is good for a go or two.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 pm

I despise cah. Yeah there's a couple funny combinations but it got old after five minutes.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Tyler wrote:I haven't played any of my new games yet, hopefully this weekend.

I played power grid the day we got it. It's a great game. I'll warm you that the game just ends. When you hit the end game number there is no last turn/round to prepare so you should be ready to go if anyone is remotely close to triggering the end game.

I'd also throw in an extra rule to eliminate the lowest power plant entirely from the game each round. They tend to sit there if you don't.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Watched my first full episode of Will Wheaton's board game show. They had a 90 minute version of the Pandemic episode, but I stuck with the 30 minute one. Made learning the game fun!

[youtube]ytK1zDPPDhw[/youtube]
awright

Postby awright » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:56 am

Ed brubaker! I watched half and turned it off but it was a fun way to learn the game. I already knew how to play so I was hoping some other minor details were explained but nothing would suggest so when I fast forwarded. For instance, can colors spread outside their colored cities? I think I remember hearing they could. And if that's correct, do they act independently from the other virus in terms of infections?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am

Like a red tile on a black city? Nothing like that happened in the video.
But if a red city has an outbreak it and it's near a black city that city needs to add a tile
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:36 am

Played a couple of our new coop games this weekend.

Castle panic is a lot of fun but seems very easy. We were never even challenged both times we played.

I highly recommend forbidden desert. Excellent game and it's a big challenge with five players we played it like 5 times before we won. It's much better than its counterpart forbidden island.

Have you played power grid or suburbia yet Tyler?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Played a couple of our new coop games this weekend.

Castle panic is a lot of fun but seems very easy. We were never even challenged both times we played.

I highly recommend forbidden desert. Excellent game and it's a big challenge with five players we played it like 5 times before we won. It's much better than its counterpart forbidden island.

All the game board sites say Forbidden Desert falls nicely between Forbidden Desert and Pandemic.

And Suburbia? I don't have that one. I'm going to make Jocelyn play Pandemic sometime this week, wanted to play yesterday when we had 3 people at the house but it didnt work out.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:24 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Played a couple of our new coop games this weekend.

All the game board sites say Forbidden Desert falls nicely between Forbidden Desert and Pandemic.

And Suburbia? I don't have that one. I'm going to make Jocelyn play Pandemic sometime this week, wanted to play yesterday when we had 3 people at the house but it didnt work out.

Oh you got 7 wonders my mistake! We have to many games. With five people forbidden desert is harder than pandemic to win. But less moving parts to worry about.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 am

bmyoungs wrote:With five people forbidden desert is harder than pandemic to win. But less moving parts to worry about.

Wouldnt it be easier with more people since it's a co-op game, or is it just too many chefs in the kitchen at that point?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:With five people forbidden desert is harder than pandemic to win. But less moving parts to worry about.

Wouldnt it be easier with more people since it's a co-op game, or is it just too many chefs in the kitchen at that point?

The game gets out of control very easily. There are a bunch of ways to lose and with five people its easy to forget about one small thing.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Finally got a chance to play one of my new nerdy games. Alex and I have been trying to get together for over a month and he took the initiative last time and came to Ankeny.
I played Pandemic for the first time, and his 5th. That is a really tough game, but fun. I think it all comes down to the roles and we got screwed in those.
Didn't get to play Powergrid or 7 Wonders yet. Some less nerdy people come over so we switched to Trivia Pursuit Party edition and Pass the Popcorn.

Thanks again for coming Alex! Need to play the other games next time

Return to “Off Topic”