Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Change careers/redo college

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:22 pm

If you could, would you have gone to school for something else or do you wish you took a different career path?

What made me think of this is Corey and I have the same Management Information Systems major, but completely different jobs. He went the technical route and I went more business. Corey could have benefited from less buinessy classes and more technical and opposite for me.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:40 pm

I am happy with where my career has ended up to this point but I would have done it a different way. If I knew I'd be in the golf industry I would have gone to a PGA management school or started doing my PGA bookwork directly out of high school.

If I want in golf I'd probably be somewhere similar to you and Corey, though I never wanted to study that while in school it was just my hobby.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: Change careers/redo college

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Corey's work translate more to hobby stuff...networking, virtual machines, hardware, etc. My job doesn't inspire me with fun at home projects.

If I did go more technical I would want to be on the network side vs developer I think. But I also say that because all the developers I work with are on mainframe using 30 year old tech. CRM developer would be fun. Oh, or a database analyst. I really like SQL
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Dietitian/nutritionist specializing in food allergies would be something I could see myself doing now.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am

I'm in a marketing role now and that's basically what I went to school for. One thing I wish I had in my current role was more technical knowledge of the products we have. If I had a do everything over, I would probably completely change course go into some sort of engineering. Although, that would have made college classes much harder.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Change careers/redo college

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am

DannyFanny wrote:Dietitian/nutritionist specializing in food allergies would be something I could see myself doing now.
Maybe Erin can hook you up
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am

wags83 wrote:I'm in a marketing role now and that's basically what I went to school for. One thing I wish I had in my current role was more technical knowledge of the products we have. If I had a do everything over, I would probably completely change course go into some sort of engineering. Although, that would have made college classes much harder.
No regrets for your time spent at Comcast?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:I'm in a marketing role now and that's basically what I went to school for. One thing I wish I had in my current role was more technical knowledge of the products we have. If I had a do everything over, I would probably completely change course go into some sort of engineering. Although, that would have made college classes much harder.
No regrets for your time spent at Comcast?

Meh, it was fine for a first job out of college. It was more of a conduit to get out of St. Cloud and into the Minneapolis area. The job sucked but it paid the bills and the benefits were decent.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:18 pm

I think I like the kind of work I'm aiming to be doing. I'm definitely not currently doing it, but I think it's juuuuuust within reach in a couple years. I've not cared for a certain few of my jobs, but I'm glad I did all of them, in the order I did

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 pm

I love what I do, and my degree from college got me the title has engineer. What I learned in college hasn't really applied much though. I did learn in college though time management, due to being student-athlete, & being around more of a diverse crowd. I have learned more at work then what college did like electrical & hyd. systems. Also I learned at work a stress calculation program called Ansys (I should show you some of my projects I have done with that). I think where I'm at with my career/title is from showing I'm a hard worker, love to create change, & caring about trying to improve fellow co-workers processes.

So to answer the question I would stay with my career path, just would have been cheaper to just starting work right away.
I do think sometimes though, about what would have happened if I joined the Marines instead.
Last edited by Huss Buss on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm

ben says if he could do it over, he just wants to be a full-time fork lift operator
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:14 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I'm in a marketing role now and that's basically what I went to school for. One thing I wish I had in my current role was more technical knowledge of the products we have. If I had a do everything over, I would probably completely change course go into some sort of engineering. Although, that would have made college classes much harder.

yep, those classes would have been a lot harder especially thermodynamics,fluids, & advanced phyics.
Kath525

Postby Kath525 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:40 pm

I would probably go to med school instead of pharmacy school. At the time I was really interested in a good career that I could easily balance with a family, but now that I've met Tim and know we would be really happy just the two of us and I could have a more demanding career I have some of the regrets.

Or music. I was a vocal performance major my freshman year of college but I got whooping cough and it changed my voice so I wish that hadn't happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Huss Buss wrote:I love what I do, and my degree from college got me the title has engineer. What I learned in college hasn't really applied much though. I did learn in college though time management, due to being student-athlete, & being around more of a diverse crowd. I have learned more at work then what college did like electrical & hyd. systems. Also I learned at work a stress calculation program called Ansys (I should show you some of my projects I have done with that). I think where I'm at with my career/title is from showing I'm a hard worker, love to create change, & caring about trying to improve fellow co-workers processes.

So to answer the question I would stay with my career path, just would have been cheaper to just starting work right away.
I do think sometimes though, about what would have happened if I joined the Marines instead.
You outlined the problem with college/careers without even knowing it. You need a degree to get most jobs, but the degree is useless. You learn more in 6 months at your real job than you do in 4 years of college.

You wish you started this job right out of HS, but they of course wouldn't have hired you then because no experience or college.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Kath525 wrote:I would probably go to med school instead of pharmacy school. At the time I was really interested in a good career that I could easily balance with a family, but now that I've met Tim and know we would be really happy just the two of us and I could have a more demanding career I have some of the regrets.

Or music. I was a vocal performance major my freshman year of college but I got whooping cough and it changed my voice so I wish that hadn't happened.

I think you'll be happy you went the pharmacy route soon. Once you're married you will be wanting to pop babies out left and right.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Huss Buss wrote:ben says if he could do it over, he just wants to be a full-time fork lift operator
Makes sense, probably for Blockbuster or ToysRus
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Kath525 wrote:I would probably go to med school instead of pharmacy school. At the time I was really interested in a good career that I could easily balance with a family, but now that I've met Tim and know we would be really happy just the two of us and I could have a more demanding career I have some of the regrets.

I think you'll be happy you went the pharmacy route soon. Once you're married you will be wanting to pop babies out left and right.

Or Maybe she won't. Not every couple wants kids.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Huss Buss wrote:I love what I do, and my degree from college got me the title has engineer. What I learned in college hasn't really applied much though. I did learn in college though time management, due to being student-athlete, & being around more of a diverse crowd. I have learned more at work then what college did like electrical & hyd. systems. Also I learned at work a stress calculation program called Ansys (I should show you some of my projects I have done with that). I think where I'm at with my career/title is from showing I'm a hard worker, love to create change, & caring about trying to improve fellow co-workers processes.

You outlined the problem with college/careers without even knowing it. You need a degree to get most jobs, but the degree is useless. You learn more in 6 months at your real job than you do in 4 years of college.

You wish you started this job right out of HS, but they of course wouldn't have hired you then because no experience or college.

werd. If I was in Human Resources at a company I would just be looking at High School kids, and be telling them we can teach you here the skills you need and save you the debt. The problem is not a lot of them are mature yet.
blake

Postby blake » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:38 am

Went to school for business- had no clue what I wanted to do so seem broad. Currently an independent claims adjuster at a great company- get a company car, good salary/commissions. I'm happy where I'm at.

If I could redo things and if I actually liked going to school- I would have been a chiropractor or PA
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Join the Army. or at least ROTC. I like development a lot, but you can do that in the army too.

Return to “Off Topic”