Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Change careers/redo college

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Change careers/redo college

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Join the Army. or at least ROTC. I like development a lot, but you can do that in the army too.
Did your school have ROTC? I just learned what it was last year. It's basically army-like things for high schoolers? Advanced boy scouts?
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Did your school have ROTC? I just learned what it was last year. It's basically army-like things for high schoolers? Advanced boy scouts?

High school is JROTC, college is ROTC

It's just additional information/learning on what the Army is and what it's like to be an officer, I think. Honestly i'm not too sure
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:54 pm

I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. Back when I was consulting, I found myself getting complacent with a lot of the clients I worked for. So far in my new job I feel like I'll really have a chance to grow and never stop learning and improving. I typically enjoy my work as long as it challenges me in some way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am

ejhartman91 wrote:I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. Back when I was consulting, I found myself getting complacent with a lot of the clients I worked for. So far in my new job I feel like I'll really have a chance to grow and never stop learning and improving. I typically enjoy my work as long as it challenges me in some way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That's good to hear :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tag

Postby Tag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:19 am

Well I took a whole new career path, one that allows my wife to stay home with our girls and I enjoy the job.

So it's safe to say I'm not using my college degree. It did help me land the job, being a college grad but that's where it stops
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:06 am

Tag wrote:Source of the post It did help me land the job, being a college grad but that's where it stops

It's silly how some companies are like that. My old consulting firm started requiring a 4 year degree in literally anything. People with 10+ years experience at the company but no college degree couldn't leave and get hired back because they didn't have a degree.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post People with 10+ years experience at the company but no college degree couldn't leave and get hired back because they didn't have a degree.

That's ridiculous. I get it to an extent, if you're a young kid looking for a first job, having a college degree at least shows you can learn and be somewhat responsible in lieu of actual industry experience. But that much experience should count a lot more than a bachelor's in an unrelated field.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post People with 10+ years experience at the company but no college degree couldn't leave and get hired back because they didn't have a degree.

That's ridiculous. I get it to an extent, if you're a young kid looking for a first job, having a college degree at least shows you can learn and be somewhat responsible in lieu of actual industry experience. But that much experience should count a lot more than a bachelor's in an unrelated field.

I've referred a few people to my current company that have no college degree, but have been in the professional work-field for 8+ years now as Senior Developers (these are for big companies too), and they wouldn't even interview them.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 pm

I agree on college grad stuff. It's a joke. When everyone has a degree no one does. I didn't learn a single thing in school that I have applied to my career. I am even a rare breed worked in their field of study!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:49 pm

So I did chemical engineering and french degrees, engineering on my resume opens doors, but french got me my first job out of school.

I don't ever plan on working as an engineer at this point, but I'm happy I did it. At one point I considered premed, but I think that schedule would've been brutal compared to how I work now. I actually almost quit engineering after my sophomore year, but decided to tough it out so that I wouldn't have to start over and would still get to study abroad.

My MBA is a check box to open more doors as well so Brad can stay home with the kid someday.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Sarah wrote: Brad can stay home with the kid someday.

That would actually be an effective use of my degree

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: Change careers/redo college

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Idk what a career in AI would look like in Des Moines, but that would be fun and exciting I bet. I wonder if the colleges here are offering courses
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Idk what a career in AI would look like in Des Moines, but that would be fun and exciting I bet. I wonder if the colleges here are offering courses

Surprisingly, there are a lot you can do with AI. AI is a super broad term that automatically overwhelms people. There are stages of AI that make things simpler, such as Robotic Process Automation which is just using computers to automate simple tasks. A step forward of that is just machine learning, where the computer actually anticipates the need, instead of manually, or batch kicking off super capabilities.

Many companies in DSM are considering RPA, including GuideOne, FBL, Pioneer, Deere, and then there are a bunch in Omaha. Machine learning takes a lot more maturity from your automation, but bigger cities are adopting it quite a bit.

Return to “Off Topic”