Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

School

Talk about anything.
Artukka

School

Postby Artukka » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 pm

The idea of arming teachers is indeed an absurd and outrageous proposal. In addition to all of the logistical problems, the potential for accidents, the increased risk of suicide it would have, etc... when you stop to think about how an attack would play out with multiple armed teachers or faculty on the scene, it's not difficult to imagine how that could serve to amplify the deadliness and tragedy of some of these events.

The fact that the NRA endorses this idea is really all you need to know about that organization, or at least its leadership. Any heinous proposal will be countenanced if it means selling more guns (or preventing sales from going down). NRA reps should be shunned and frozen out of this debate completely -- they are not reasonable, good faith actors. They're lobbying and propaganda arm of an industry sells an inherently deadly product and are willing to descend to the level of cartoon villainy for the sake of greed. I wish saying that would make me guilty of hyperbole, but I don't think it does.

As I suggested earlier, I'm at least somewhat sympathetic to the civil libertarian argument for respecting gun rights, but this is insanity. It's time to push the Overton window far in the other direction. Other countries have instituted highly restrictive gun laws to apparently very good effect when it comes to preventing/reducing mass shootings, homicides and suicides, without descending into totalitarian dystopias. Advocating (for example) for a ban on semiautomatic firearms, and requiring licensure for ownership of other guns should not be considered an extreme position and by the standards of most of the world, it's not.

If the result of this renewed push for gun control is something like raising the age to buy guns to 21 and screening gun buyers for a history of mental health issues, it probably won't make much of a dent in the problem and the NRA and their allies will say, "See, we instituted more gun control and these attacks are still happening. What we need are more guns!" They're literally already making those arguments.

The reality is that we'll probably have to end up with some utterly insufficient compromise (if that) but I think it's probably a mistake to start from a position of "moderation" by the standards of current US law and culture. We should be demanding the policies that have the best chance of actually substantially addressing the problem.

And I guess if Joclyn is guilty of getting on the soapbox, I just crushed it to splinters.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

School

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 pm

This is a interesting twitter thread. It features Robert Evans, formerly of Cracked, fielding various questions about guns, gun culture, and gun control. Robert Evans headed the Personal Experience articles and hosted the short lived Cracked Gets Personal podcast. That podcast is worth checking out.

https://twitter.com/robertatcracked/sta ... 2040563715
Tyler
Owner

School

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:01 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post This is a interesting twitter thread. It features Robert Evans, formerly of Cracked, fielding various questions about guns, gun culture, and gun control. Robert Evans headed the Personal Experience articles and hosted the short lived Cracked Gets Personal podcast. That podcast is worth checking out.

https://twitter.com/robertatcracked/sta ... 2040563715

That was interesting reading his points. I agree with most of the ones I read
Tyler
Owner

Re: School

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

School

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 am

I can't believe The White House put this out. Are these clips horrible and in poor taste? Yes. Is there any proof to video games cause people to act violent? No. This has been debated for decades and has never been proven.

80 percent of mass shooters showed no interest in video games, researcher says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_IBSuXIoo
bmyoungs

School

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:08 am

Blue Jackets wrote:I can't believe The White House put this out. Are these clips horrible and in poor taste? Yes. Is there any proof to video games cause people to act violent? No. This has been debated for decades and has never been proven.

80 percent of mass shooters showed no interest in video games, researcher says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_IBSuXIoo
Really shows the state of our nation and it's sad

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

School

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:10 am

If someone thinks that is the standard within video games they are crazy. That is probably the worst 1% that was cherry picked out and put into a sizzle reel.

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Really shows the state of our nation and it's sad

Agreed. TWH should have better things to do than put this video together and explore something that has already proven to be false.

Return to “Off Topic”