Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Favorite Youtube Channels

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 pm

This Reddit post made me reconsider Youtube Channels. I may need to start watching some of these if they can scratch the itch that old school Discovery channel did. Does anyone have goto channels? I don't current subscribe to anything

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... _released/
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:40 pm

RedLetterMedia -- varied content, mostly related to movie critique with sharp and sometimes offbeat comedic style. They went viral with the Mr. Plinkett Star Wars prequel reviews, but they also do other skits and series, like their "explanation" of Terminator: Genisys.

Tarmack -- video game news and industry analysis, with bent towards consumer advocacy. He covers a lot of points in depth that a lot of other gaming news observers and pundits overlook. He holds strong opinions but doesn't go over the top with presentation the way some YouTubers do, but his videos are still well produced.

Kurzgesagt -- very well produced animated explanations of various social and scientific concepts and technologies.

Alt-Shift-X -- in depth examinations of the lore, themes and theories of television shows (mostly Game of Thrones right now) with a novel style of presentation.

Ozzy Man Reviews -- an Australian bloke humorously describes and reviews things. I discovered him through his Game of Thrones reviews, which I think are still my favorite content on his channel.

Primitive Technology -- a different Australian guy builds tools, shelter and other stuff in the wildnerness from scratch. Interesting and oddly satisfying to watch. There's no narration or explanation of what's happening during the video, though you can turn on captions. My preference is to watch the video without captions and then read the video description afterwards.

Web DM -- A Dungeons & Dragons channel, mostly focusing on advice for DMs, mostly focused on 5th edition. Highly recommended if you play D&D or have any interest in doing so.

Ragg Tag -- An Overwatch channel, mainly popular for the "toxic coaching" series where the guy doles out abuse and advice (and rare moments of enthusiastic praise) to players who submit footage of their gameplay for analysis. He's an opera singer by trade (which is incorporated into his videos) and a bit of a character. It's possible a non-Overwatch player could find some entertainment in these videos, though of course it's best if you're familiar with the game.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Favorite Youtube Channels

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Sometimes I think I'm a movie/tv nerd and Artukka comes along and puts me to shame.

Primal technology is one I've watched quite a bit of. I only recently learned that turning on captions explains what he is doing.

I'll be sure to check out the other channels you posted about.

Return to “Off Topic”