Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Fire at Ben's place

Talk about anything.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Huss Buss » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Ben's Corn crib burned up today. Not sure how it happen, but his acreage did get hit by lightning 8 this morning so it easily could be from that or the wind was blowing the power line to the crib and started there.

Along with the crib is his goose neck trailer, my dad's auger & enclosed trailer, & my dump trailer. We had somethings in the crib we wouldn't want to lose, but oh well.

If you didn't know I helped put the fire out some, since I'm on the Ashton Fire dep. The crib is still on fire a little yet.

bmyoungs

Fire at Ben's place

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:12 pm

That's terrible. Glad everyone is ok.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Sorry Ben. That sucks. This is why insurance exists! Trailers are easy to put a value on, no idea how that is done for the building though.

How close was the closet trailer? Looks like the wind had to bring the flame pretty far.
wags83

Fire at Ben's place

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Oh shit, sorry to hear. Glad nobody was hurt.
Tyler
Owner

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 am

It's your place too Kyle. You've lived there all your life.
wags83

Fire at Ben's place

Postby wags83 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:38 am

At what point did you notice it was on fire? Did you see a little bit of smoke coming out or was it full blown blazing by the time anyone saw it? I imagine a building like that goes up pretty quick.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Fire at Ben's place

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:00 pm

wags83 wrote:At what point did you notice it was on fire? Did you see a little bit of smoke coming out or was it full blown blazing by the time anyone saw it? I imagine a building like that goes up pretty quick.
From Ben yesterday:
No ive been on and off the yard several times today. Lightning strike was at about 8. But i was home when it started. I just didnt notice it until i herd tires blowin up at about 3 and the crib was completely engulfed.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Sorry Ben. That sucks. This is why insurance exists! Trailers are easy to put a value on, no idea how that is done for the building though.

How close was the closet trailer? Looks like the wind had to bring the flame pretty far.

werd on insurance! The value of corn crib is at least 40,000, to build new I think more like $60,000 due concrete & how custom a corn crib is now.

The closet trailer was my dump trailer at about 3'. Then it was enclosed trailer about 6' from my. Then goose neck was maybe 3' from enclosed. The auger was probably about 8' from goose neck. The composite boards on the goose neck really burned well.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm

thanks for the support. here is KIWA article

Ashton, Iowa– A corn crib and some farm equipment were destroyed in a fire on Monday, March 5, 2018, near Ritter.

According to Ashton Fire Chief Andy Gacke, about 3:45 p.m., the Ashton Fire Department was called to the report of a structure fire at 2658 Oak Hill Avenue, two miles east of Ritter and a mile and a half north.

The chief says the fire department saw the older corn crib building had burned down to the ground as they approached the scene. He says they put out the fire in some nearby farm equipment, including two trailers and an auger.

Gacke says no injuries were reported.

He says the occupant told him that they had a lightning strike nearby that morning that caused some electrical malfunctions, and it is thought that was the cause of the fire as well.

Chief Gacke reports that there was probably around $75,000 in damage.

He says they used about 800 gallons of water to fight the fire, and the eight firefighters who responded were on scene for about two hours.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post At what point did you notice it was on fire? Did you see a little bit of smoke coming out or was it full blown blazing by the time anyone saw it? I imagine a building like that goes up pretty quick.

I was at work. Ben only noticed because he first saw a van going by really slow on our road, (roads were ice/snow covered,but it was way to slow for that yet), then he heard loud noises from the tires blowing. The whole build was full engulfed when he called it in and it collapsed soon after he called it in. Ben was in the living room so he couldn't see it at all from room & the wind was blowing the noise away.

Correct, it goes up fast, since structure was decent yet and there was plenty of dry wood inside.

The fire was basically out by time I went to bed at 8:30.
Tyler
Owner

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post Ben only noticed because he first saw a van going by really slow on our road

Is it mean that I laughed at the thought of Ben looking out the front window thinking "what the hell is this dumbass doing driving so slow down my road?" while a barn burned in his backyard.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Fire at Ben's place

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post Ben only noticed because he first saw a van going by really slow on our road

Is it mean that I laughed at the thought of Ben looking out the front window thinking "what the hell is this dumbass doing driving so slow down my road?" while a barn burned in his backyard.

not at all. because i did too and that is what he thought.

i showed this to Ben and he just laughed because you just nailed it with how he was thinking.
wags83

Fire at Ben's place

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:27 am

Lolz!

Return to “Off Topic”