Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Custom information screen thingy

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:50 am

I've posted before about people hooking up Raspberry Pis to monitors and creating an information screen with weather, calendar, etc. This website makes it really easy and you can even do it on a tablet or anything that can run a website.

http://dakboard.com

I'm playing around with it right now and it's pretty cool. Not sure what I will do with it though.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Tyler wrote:I've posted before about people hooking up Raspberry Pis to monitors and creating an information screen with weather, calendar, etc. This website makes it really easy and you can even do it on a tablet or anything that can run a website.

http://dakboard.com

I'm playing around with it right now and it's pretty cool. Not sure what I will do with it though.
That's cool. I'll give it a whirl too it might be useful for the info display I want in the pro shop.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: Custom information screen thingy

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm

I think it would be cool to cast to a TV when you're not using it, but probably not worth the energy cost.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:11 pm

I think I'm going to get a cheap monitor and build something for this. Not anything huge, whatever the smallest one I can get used.

This summer calendar is already filling out so I would like to have a nice month view while in the kitchen.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 pm

They had $25 monitors at my used PC place, but they were all bigger than I wanted. Idk what I was expecting, because obviously a monitor is going to be bigger than a tablet sized screen.

Maybe I could just get another cheap Kindle Fire for this project, but will that be big enough?! Will need to test with Evie's.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:23 pm

I think i would need the full version for what I want it to do, since I want all the information on a 49" TV some of which is updated daily

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:17 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I think i would need the full version for what I want it to do, since I want all the information on a 49" TV some of which is updated daily

Worth $5/month or $40 a year? There are less pretty alternatives for sure.

Stick your Surface RT behind the TV and remote into it to update a static Powerpoint page every day :P
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I think i would need the full version for what I want it to do, since I want all the information on a 49" TV some of which is updated daily

Worth $5/month or $40 a year? There are less pretty alternatives for sure.

Stick your Surface RT behind the TV and remote into it to update a static Powerpoint page every day :P
I bought the premium. For $40/year if it looks professional it'll make a nice statement

bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Played around for 20 min with custom editor. large blank area will be where I put tournament results and course information.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:41 am

Access denied for me.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:04 am

I think a 10" Kindle Fire would make for a sleek calendar there could be kept on the kitchen counter all the time. I set up a Slickdeal alert for one. If only they had a charging port located on the back. Maybe there is such a thing as a 90 degree low profile micro USB?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Very decent price for a couple of cheap tablets (with keyboards). If one of these were in stock I would buy today, but since I need to order online and wait I can probably put this off for a day or 2 and this project urge will pass. The 11.5" size would be cool, but that resolution is bad.

10.1" - 1280 x 800 resolution - $70

11.5" - 1024 x 600 resolution - $80
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Custom information screen thingy

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Tyler wrote:Very decent price for a couple of cheap tablets (with keyboards). If one of these were in stock I would buy today, but since I need to order online and wait I can probably put this off for a day or 2 and this project urge will pass. The 11.5" size would be cool, but that resolution is bad.

10.1" - 1280 x 800 resolution - $70

11.5" - 1024 x 600 resolution - $80
Picked this up after work. It's huge. Resolution isn't super, but should work. Still need to try the dakboard app with it. Has a C type USB so somewhat modern. Speeds aren't great so far.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-1 ... Id=5852813

Took the store nearly 20 minutes to figure out how to price match it. System said the price was too low.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Proof of concept. It's not the best screen, but I can read everything. Jocelyn actually approves once I clean up the wires. I ordered a USB C dock, that should do the trick, and maybe a different wall plug. I have it set to be on 24/7, not sure how good that is for a tablet.

I'm actually impressed with the thing once I dock it. I could see us taking it places.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:26 am

I bought a month of the premium because I wanted to add more calendars and color code them. I also added my Nest just because it was an option.

Bmyoungs, there is a way to share a direct link to your board that doesn't require login, share your golf one!
Board options. Account settings. Private URL.

I would share mine but since it's portrait and not landscape it looks horrible on a monitor.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:09 am

This thread is basically me talking to myself, and I will continue to do so.

DAKboard has lists, but it doesn't support Google Keep. I think I am going to start using Todoist. I found a way to use it with Google Home (that I will post in that thread in a second).

My DAKboard now has my shopping list and chore list, all of which I can add via Google Home right next to it. I have not tested all of this out yet, but it should work. Curious if there will be a delay or not.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:19 am

I'll post mine later but it's been having issues with the Google photo album I was using for custom background.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:29 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I'll post mine later but it's been having issues with the Google photo album I was using for custom background.

Just doing a black screen? I've had that a few times after changing settings and going back to the display, refreshing fixed it. I've never had it break once it was working though without first going to settings.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Custom information screen thingy

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:55 am

bmyoungs wrote:https://dakboard.com/app?p=fa88715a5b328c9610c19eb024326b08
Looks good! Probably just my display, but you need to move weather up higher or make the box bigger. I had the same issue when I did a custom layout.

Return to “Off Topic”