Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Good news for Blake

Talk about anything.
wags83

Good news for Blake

Postby wags83 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:43 am

For his next monthly CPT check-in:
https://brookingsregister.com/article/g ... s-overhaul

Gov. Dennis Daugaard has signed a bill easing a state production limit and other regulations on South Dakota craft breweries.

The Republican governor said Thursday the new law is an “economic development win” that will help the state’s homegrown microbreweries expand and thrive. Daugaard had pushed for the brewing overhaul, contending state regulations are stifling the industry.

The legislation creates a microbrewery license allowing the businesses to produce 30,000 barrels of beer annually, up from 5,000 barrels. Breweries that exceed the current 5,000-barrel limit would lose privileges such as being able to sell growlers.

It also permits craft brewers to bypass distributors to sell up to 1,500 barrels of their beer each year directly to bars.

The law was a compromise between beer distributors and craft brewers. Daugaard also signed five other alcohol bills Thursday.
Tyler
Owner

Good news for Blake

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 am

Quite the change from 5k to 30k. I imagine if a microbrewery was big enough to do 25k barrels before they weren't losing sleep over not selling growlers. Selling kegs directly to bars seems like the bigger deal here.
wags83

Good news for Blake

Postby wags83 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:03 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Selling kegs directly to bars seems like the bigger deal here.

Yeah, that's the part that was interesting to me. That could be huge for a start up brewery.
blake

Good news for Blake

Postby blake » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am

Yup- was following this very closely. This was a compromise bill between the distributors and the craft breweries and it seemed to really favor the craft breweries heavily.

Just read another brewery looking into opening next to falls park so maybe this has already helped start ups

Can Iowa/Minnesota bypass distributors? I know the barrel limit was extremely outdated here and every surrounding state had a lot higher
wags83

Good news for Blake

Postby wags83 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:36 am

blake wrote:Source of the post Can Iowa/Minnesota bypass distributors? I know the barrel limit was extremely outdated here and every surrounding state had a lot higher

In Minnesota they can't, still gotta go through distributor. We had the barrel limit thing up until a couple years ago too, but I don't remember what the limits were.
wags83

Good news for Blake

Postby wags83 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 am

In similar news....
World Beer Cup was this year at the CBC. I'm in Nashville for the CBC but unfortunately didn't have tickets to the World Beer Cup results tonight.

Anyway, Farmhouse Ale by Fernson Brewing Co. of Sioux Falls, South Dakota wine for Session beer category. I've seen Blake check in there a few times.

Only saw one MN brew on the winners list. Mo' Winta Milk Stout from Waconia Brewing won for the Sweet,/cream Stout category. I've never tried it but I've never known Waconia to be a remarkable brewery so it's kinda surprising.
blake

Good news for Blake

Postby blake » Fri May 04, 2018 8:09 am

Can't believe the Farmhouse Ale even won. I'll admit that's my least favorite beer style but never thought it was anything that special although I haven't had it in probably 2 years from them. Gets a 3.49 on Untapped haha. It was Fernson's first beer they ever made and ever canned so I guess that's kind of cool.

Awesome your in Nashville right now- bet it's so fun. I've been following all the brewers from here and all the photos they've been taking

Return to “Off Topic”